Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
71 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for light/quick (1 hour) wargame/Euro hybrids for 4+ players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject line says it all.

I'll be hosting a game day soon with some gamers who are still relatively new to gaming. They've mostly played Euros, with a little Ameritrash. No proper wargames.

Quartermaster General is one of my favorite games, but one of my friends specifically doesn't like the restrictive nature of the game (actions limited to the cards in hand).

So I'm looking for other Waro/Weuro recommendations that are:

- Relatively light in complexity
- More Euro than wargame in primary mechanisms
- About 1 hour long (90 mins max)
- The higher the player count the better (6 would be best)

Any ideas? I know this is a rather restrictive list, which will likely end up with us just playing a Euro instead, but I thought I'd ask. My preferred period is WW2, but I'd look into almost anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be that the closest you get to your criteria are Antike or Imperial, or their sequels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1775: Rebellion
Nexus Ops
Tigris & Euphrates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Noel
Canada
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
Landcaster si great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
1775: Rebellion (already mentioned) and its "sister" 1812: The Invasion of Canada.

Popular Front is good with 2, 4, or 6.

A Brief History of the World is fun.

The First World War is okay with a few house rules.

The Kaiser's Pirates is fun if highly abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is a fun game but is limited to 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to 1775:Rebellion. It's a great bet. You play cards, but the cards only tell you what you can do in general (you can move this number of armies this number of spaces), it isn't as restrictive as QMG. And there's dice.

Shogun or Wallenstein (second edition). Same game, but different maps. In this you have cards that tell you which territories you control, and you simultaneously select cards for actions, which cover the action and uses the territory (so you can do each thing only once a turn). And you drop your armies into a sweet tower to conduct combat, which is maybe gimmicky but also awesome. Points are awarded for what you build and where rather than your combat prowess. I think it's great. It's really closer to 2 hours, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
dabowsa wrote:

Each only plays up to 4.

Wallenstein and Shogun don't come close to 90 minutes - more like twice that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike II -- more of a civ game, but has war elements as well. Plays up to 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games mentioned so far, Popular Front and 1812: The Invasion of Canada have intrigued me the most.

More opinions on these and any other ideas?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure OP is looking for 4 player games ... or more, 6 is best. So the suggestions of 4 player games are in play, no?

Problem with 6 player games is you're almost certainly going to break the 90 min mark with weuros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dabowsa wrote:
Pretty sure OP is looking for 4 player games ... or more, 6 is best. So the suggestions of 4 player games are in play, no?

Problem with 6 player games is you're almost certainly going to break the 90 min mark with weuros.

Right - 4 minimum, but the more the better (up to 6). Agree that with 6 I'll be pushing the time limit. This is definitely a restrictive set of criteria!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings for the Baron (second edition) can accomodate 5, has a war theme, but mechanics are definately euroish. A great game nevertheless.

Caveat: with new players it will take you 90-120 minutes to play plus an additional 30 minutes to teach the rules.

Another option is Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game, but it is a love or hate thing, so some of your players may be put off by it.

HTH and please let us know how it goes.

PS: great little designs those of yours (Castle Itter and in-progress Pavlov's House...I have been silently watching and I am in awe!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_viper_ wrote:
Wings for the Baron (second edition) can accomodate 5, has a war theme, but mechanics are definately euroish. A great game nevertheless.

Caveat: with new players it will take you 90-120 minutes to play plus an additional 30 minutes to teach the rules.

Another option is Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game, but it is a love or hate thing, so some of your players may be put off by it.

HTH and please let us know how it goes.

PS: great little designs those of yours (Castle Itter and in-progress Pavlov's House...I have been silently watching and I am in awe!)

Thanks - that's very kind of you to say, Nicola. I'm loving working on those games. I'm also very excited that my first wargame design, Platoon Command, is currently being demoed by the publisher, Lock N Load, at Origins. Good times!

I'll take a look at both your recommendations. Warfighter, specifically, intrigues me. As I've often seen it as a recommendation. I'll dig into it a little more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacific Typhoon is a fun alliance-building, trick taking card game.

The Kaiser's Pirates is good fun, but only plays up to 4.

Ditto for Medieval, which also would take a bit longer to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kilukru wrote:
Landcaster si great

It's simply my favourite game - and plays best with 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilukru wrote:
Landcaster si great

Just to make sure I'm checking out the right game, you're referring to Lancaster, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
Of the games mentioned so far, Popular Front and 1812: The Invasion of Canada have intrigued me the most.

More opinions on these and any other ideas?

Thanks!

I quite like Popular Front. It has a bit of a "GO" mechanic where surrounding the enemy has a big impact. It plays quickly (with 4) and still has a wargamey feel. The card play is interesting and lends variety to the game.

1812 also plays very quickly. There's something of a consensus that the US has a slight disadvantage, but that's pretty easily managed by bidding one or two VPs to play the British side. It's lots of fun and again the card play and the vaiable order of play means you never know quite what you or the next guy will be able to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am a fan of Popular Front and think it'll suit the OP's needs. I don't think it gets enough attention in general. It is light, the game could just as easily be about any other conflict, but I think the expansion Popular Front: Escalation is a case of 'be careful what you wish for' because in my opinion it ruins the careful balance of the base game.

Unless the group is compelled to the War of 1812 for some reason I'd recommend 1775: Rebellion over 1812: The Invasion of Canada any day. They are practically the same game but the first is just better (very much like Maria surpasses Friedrich unless the laters topic is a big deal for some reason)

Nexus Ops is also good.

All three will run you over an hour. We're getting into different territory if that's a hard limit. I'd start thinking about card games at that point.

-Drew (also very interested in finding any conflict/war games in this niche)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Blue Max.

We used to do this in between classes with up to 12.

Pretty good down and dirty dogfighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 de Mayo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nukeu666 wrote:
I've never played this with 4+. What's it like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
kilukru wrote:
Landcaster si great

Just to make sure I'm checking out the right game, you're referring to Lancaster, right?

Well, I was

It's a confrontational euro-game where you need a long-term strategic plan, but with lots of tactical opportunities and messing up the plans of your opponents along the way. And then there are the Laws - ignore them at your own peril. It has a good rating, but the only reason it's not rated higher is that it's simply too confrontational for many euro-gamers.

But since you wanted a euro-game with some wargaming elements thrown into it ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings of War: The Dawn of World War II due to simultaneous actions selection and execution.Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game with a careful ship list building but its money sinker. Tiny Epic Kingdoms and Tiny Epic Galaxies perhaps? thats all i can think right now.

Edit: 1 hour is realle REALLY a short time for a wargame! Waros also cant get their engine up and goin in such a short time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kalevi1999 wrote:
Wings of War: The Dawn of World War II due to simultaneous actions selection and execution.Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game with a careful ship list building but its money sinker. Tiny Epic Kingdoms and Tiny Epic Galaxies perhaps? thats all i can think right now.

Edit: 1 hour is realle REALLY a short for a wargame! Waros also cant get their engine up and goin in such a short time.

Yeah, really I'm thinking closer to 90 minutes. But if I tell people 90 minutes, they'll give me recommendations with 2 hours.

We already have Wings of Glory and X-Wing - and LOVE them both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.