Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: twoplayer [+] [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read many threads on the viability of these games for two players. At least a handful of people have cited enjoyable experiences had with all three of these titles in a 2 player setting.

My question, however, is how would *you* rate the viability/fun of these titles in a 2 player context, from high to low, if the choice was yours? I've never played any of these, incidentally.

My personal interest level (again from high to low) is:

Power Grid
Goa
..(etc)

Puerto Rico

However, I'm not sure whether I'd actually like any of them as their themes seem a bit boring and gameplay complex. However, due to all the high praise, I'm going out on a limb for one.

Incidentally, I will occasionally play with more than two, but at least the first 5-6 games will be between 2 (and occasionally 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They all work with 2, as you indicated.

The weakest with 2, I would say, is Power Grid because the auction isn't quite as strong. But it is still good with two - if it's your top preference, then I still say go with Power Grid, especially if you have other chances to play with 3+ sometimes.

Goa is the strongest with 2, I think. It is a very good game, despite how boring it might look in the pictures. The rules are a little hard to get through if you're learning it on your own, but once you know what you're doing the rules are too hard. There isn't much interaction - everyone is doing their own thing, just trying to do it better than everyone else. The only interaction is the acution, which works very well with 2. There are lots of tough decisions.

Puerto Rico is pretty good with 2. PR isn't my favorite game with any number of players. It's a good game, but just doesn't really grab me for some reason. You must play with the official variant, which is on the publisher's site and most likely here on BGG too. -- Maybe consider San Juan instead, especially if you want a lighter shorter game. I like San Juan a lot.

However, if you're not sure about these games, try to play then online or at a game group, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played and liked all three. I have also played all of them two player, which is not really the sweet spot for any of them.

In terms of playability for me, as two player games, I would rate them:

d10-1 Puerto Rico (using the Alea variant in the files section)
d10-2 Goa (although don't play against my wife because you will lose)
d10-3 Power Grid (although it is a good way to teach it before playing multi-player which is the best way to play Power Grid)

With more than with two players I would change the order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert G.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with what you are interested in most. I enjoy Power Grid and Puerto Rico both with two players. In fact, my favorite way to play Puerto Rico is with 2 (or 3) players. I haven't played Goa yet, so I won't comment on that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cvlw Lebron
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We only ever get to play 2-player games. Many people tend to think it's weak for two. We own it and have played it and we enjoy it. However...we play many multiplayer games for 2 and with PG there is a palpable feeling that however much fun it is with 2, it would be even better with one or two more. I think it also has a lot to do with who you play with. I would go for it, in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mark that Goa is strongest with 2 players. I'd rank them Goa first, followed by Puerto Rico second, and then Power Grid last. Goa adapts best to having just 2 players, despite having an auction, it works very well without a full complement of players. Puerto Rico has a pretty good 2-player variant, but it's a variant, and certainly pretty different from the normal game with 3-5 players, still good, but not quite as good. Power Grid is not one I especially like even with more players, but with only 2 players it loses a lot, so if I just had 2 players, I'd certainly lean more towards Goa (or maybe Puerto Rico), or get something else even better with just 2 players, like Tigris & Euphrates, Java, Through the Desert, Louis XIV, or Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
Maybe consider San Juan instead, especially if you want a lighter shorter game. I like San Juan a lot.

However, if you're not sure about these games, try to play then online or at a game group, etc.

I would try them online, but being so utterly inexperienced I'd rather play against AI (and that's not available, to my knowledge). As to groups, I unfortunately do not have many opportunities to venture into this world where I live. I'm picky about the people I know and they all seem to be outsiders to the BGG universe (I'm the emisarry ushering the knowledge in ).

As to San Juan, I've played a PC version of the game and - though loosely addicting - I didn't like the utter simplicity of it all. Perhaps that isn't quite right - I disliked the artificiality of the (arbitrary) 12 building end game trigger. I felt like certain long term strategies were not possible with that kind of structure. I like working for the resources to generate my new acquisitions, not merely getting them handed to me on a plate.

Anyhow, thanks for the thoughts.

ps: I haven't read any of the other replies yet. More shortly, I suspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Storm
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all 3 games, but haven't played PR with 2 so I don't know how the variant works.

I would agree with others. Goa is probably the best and Power Grid the worst for 2 players.

With more Players they are all really good (I prefer PG, then PR, then Goa).

I like more analytical, 'mathy' type games. If you like theme and other stuff like that, all 3 are pretty dry.

Other people mentioned San Juan - I don't like it. Through the Desert - played a few times and got bored with it. Tigris and Euphrates - like it with 3 or 4, but not with 2. Caylus is decent 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost all my gaming is two-player and I particularly like heavier engine-building games. I'll go with the general concensus and put them in this order (best for 2 at the top):

Goa (excellent with 2)
Puerto Rico (excellent with 2 using the Alea varient)
Power Grid (OK with two- very different from the multiplayer and the auctions don't work as well)

Other games of this type to consider would be Caylus (the best of this bunch with 2) or, closer to Power Grid in theme, the very underrated Industrial Waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Z├╝rich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my own experience I have to tell you that as a two player game, Power Grid is the weakest of the three. It shines with at least 4 players (the more the better). But two player is a waste of time or expressing it with other words "only for hardcore fans".
I am not sure if I prefer Goa or PR as a two player game, I slightly prefer PR but this may be because I prefer PR in general over Goa. Once again, also these games playe better (more tension and fun) with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are Goa and Power Grid effectively at the same complexity level, or is Goa a "heavier" Euro than Power Grid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.