Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've gone out and purchased every Carcassonne expansion but have never gotten to play a balls to the wall game with everything included ... until tonight.

As our 2nd game of the day at the JAG Meeting and I was able to talk Seth, Jay and Son-Z into playing Balls to the Wall Carcassone with all the expansions.

After a restart due to a 5th player dropping out after several tiles we settled in and began constructing the area surrounding Carcassonne. Initially we all built up one of the towers into the deathstar it was 9 levels high. Able to capture hapless meeples anywhere on the map.

I drew what seemed to be a never ending supply of bad tiles and fell behind pretty quickly with Seth, Jay and Son-Z fighting for the early lead. The Dragon stumbled around eating one or two of Seth's folk but for the most part being pretty ineffective.

Scoring was very slow due to the Deathstar overwatch blasting anyone who looked like they were getting close to scoring anything bigger than a 2 square city or road.

We took great joy in capturing meeples trying to build roads or cities and slowly we began to accumulate peopel in Carcassone using them to pop out and scoop up some points here and there.

As the game entered it's 2nd hour Jay began to pull away having both getting some small roads and cities to build a lead along with the Longest Road and Largest City tiles he was starting to pull away from Seth and Son-Z I continued to wallow about with what seemed to be a neverending series of non-scoring tiles.

I finally capped the Deathstar and that opened the scoring up a bit as everyone now started to put followers out and began to get some points. Unfortunately for me I was still not getting many chances to score.

Son-Z meanwhile had started a city that he came close to finishing only to have someone throw a tile on it that forced him to continue building it. It then had a Cathederal thrown onto it and another tile that basically surrounded what would need a very weird tile to close as well as some other tiles that opened it up and frustrated his chances of closing it off. This caused him to fall out of the race and SEth and Jay pulled ahead.

As we began the 3rd hour the Dragon awoke and decided that he liked the taste of Seth's meeples. On consecutive turns he was activated and managed to devour two of Seth's farmers off of big farms and one of his knights off of a 6 square city that Jay promptly finished.

I meanwhile continued floundering about only drawing multiple sided city squares and making tower attacks on the others as I still got nothing that would allow me any kind of points to narrow the gap. I zapped Son-Z out of his mega unfinished city and replaced him with my last meeple as everyone was crowded into Carcassone for the end of the game farm rush. The Count was bouncing between the Castle and the marketplace as Jay and Seth jockeyed for it's final position.

We were down to the last 6 tiles and I had placed my builder into the mega city hoping to get a few points from throwing some tiles onto it and using the second turn to get some points when on my last two tiles I drew two weird tiles that allowed me to finish the MEGA CITY! With the count in the Castle section the city was ALL MINE!

It was 28 squares with 9 pennants and 7 commodities and a Cathederal! 93 points coupled with the 25 I got for the Largest City Tile and the 20 for winning two of the commodities it came out to a 138 point city!

The last two tiles proved somewhat anticlimatic.

Final Scores:

ME: 224
Jay: 177
Seth: 136
Son-Z:127

This has to be one of the greatest games of Carcassone ever played. One tile worth 138 points with 2 tiles left in the bag!

If you ever get a chance to play a game of BALLS TO THE WALL CARCASSONE with all the expansions do it. It isn't your Mama's Carcassone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan;
Greetings...and thanks for sharing your session with us, it is a great posting. Even though none of us (group of ten couples) owns The Carthars Exp (yet?) and none of us likes using The Count Exp., you're description sounds pretty similar to many of the games we play down here in South Jersey (GSP#105). The two other differences are that we often play with six players and we have a standard House Rule within our group to keep score with paper and pencil in order to utilize the Eighth Meeple, which is now invaluable since there are so many tactics by which they can be removed: Princess, Dragon, & Tower. One of these days I'll get up to visit a JAG Meeting - I've seen your (imho-excellent) web site. Happy Trails, Happy Gaming, & Have A nic eDay; - ) ~John G.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.