Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

1844/1854» Forums » Rules

Subject: Asset stripping the Swiss national railway rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mad Dog
msg tools
In a recent game a question came up re the Swiss national rr. Players of the previous oo edition were convinced the national could only buy or sell trains from other firms at face value in the oo rules. However we could not find this in the rules for the lookout edition and naturally the national got asset stripped given its low share density.

Have the rules changed? If so, for the better? Seems to me rare that it would be a good thing to keep assets in the national unless it's your only company.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Dog UK wrote:
In a recent game a question came up re the Swiss national rr. Players of the previous oo edition were convinced the national could only buy or sell trains from other firms at face value in the oo rules. However we could not find this in the rules for the lookout edition and naturally the national got asset stripped given its low share density.

Have the rules changed? If so, for the better? Seems to me rare that it would be a good thing to keep assets in the national unless it's your only company.

This rule is neither in the new nor in the old rules; or at least, I couldn't find it.

It's possible they were confused with another game, like 1856, which really has such a rule.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gameon39481 wrote:
I can't find a copy of the original rules online, but someone I played with said it states:

"The SBB can only trade locomotives at the printed value on the locomotive."

on page 8

Googling for that sentence found the rules:

http://www.ohley.de/english/1844_Rules_14-01-04.pdf

Makes sense to me, too. The SBB are a joint national effort and were, at first, state-funded and not-for-profit. Politics absolutely wouldn't allow any kind of asset sellout of the SBB, even today when the SBB has become a for-profit organization with close ties to the government.

This thread actually had me worried. I hope there'll be an official errata if the new rules don't have this bit any more. An SBB that sells out assets is not politically possible; a game that allows that plays in a parallel universe and not ours. And in that parallel universe, there's no reason for the SBB to exist in the first place.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gameon39481 wrote:
I can't find a copy of the original rules online, but someone I played with said it states:

"The SBB can only trade locomotives at the printed value on the locomotive."

on page 8

Thanks, I overlooked that rule. Still can't find it in the new rulebook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gameon39481 wrote:
It definitely makes SBB presidency more desirable now as it was pretty terrible before.

That absolutely makes sense from a thematic point of view, if "desirable" is only looked at from financial profit considerations (as it is in 18xx). The SBB IRL are a relatively sucky investment for any kind of capitalist
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owain B
United Kingdom
Corbridge
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't seem to be in the new rulebook, although the SBB charter does have the words "trade trains at the value printed" on it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gameon39481 wrote:
obenn wrote:
It doesn't seem to be in the new rulebook, although the SBB charter does have the words "trade trains at the value printed" on it.


Ah-hah! There we go. It's on the components, not in the rules. Go figure.


Well that's not helpful when playing online, with just the new rules and no components (because they are not yet available in the States).

I happen to know someone who benefited greatly by this misunderstanding. whistle
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles BAINTER
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The SBB can have 4 trains to run. It should make more profit than the companies with only 2 trains.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dulcey
United States
Dorchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
The SBB has the potential to make lots of money. But being its director doesn't benefit you as much as being the director of other companies does. You can't use it as a train buying engine or as the recipient of one. You don't get the benefit of owning a double-sized share that still only takes up one slot. And ownership tends to be spread out, so you may not get much relative advantage over other players even if it pays well.

On the bright side, you do get to use it as a tool to build track, and to strategically place tokens to block other players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.