Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Chase
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played this game twice now, both times as the defender (lost both times). I'm loving this game, but had a couple of quick queries that may be diagnostic of a rule I'm playing wrong.

First, in both games very few goblin units made it onto the board, leaving goblin traps and cauldrons useless. This was because the invader preferentially spent goblins for actions, or simply left them in supply. The cost differential in extra hourglasses by paying with goblins didn't seem to compensate for the sea of green and red on the board. Does this seem right? I checked the pieces at purchase and numbers of each were correct. In both games Sap and Training were in play, which didn't help.

Second, siege engines seem incredibly powerful, as there is no way to counter them. Once there, they remain for the duration. By my reading, they nullify all wall pieces and all cauldrons at that wall section. I understand that traps are a good plan, but it seems impossible to build enough siege engine traps quickly enough to block all paths. There are three siege engines, so if all made it to walls, the game would be nearly unwinable for the defender. My only concern with this is that I have not seen it mentioned by anyone else, which suggests I may be doing something wrong.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play the game you'll find strategies that works for you. I lost the first two times I played defender as well. But not since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agree with above poster. There are siege tower traps to at least control where siege towers can go and hopefully even destroy some. As defender, I tend to use the traps to corral attacker's units into areas where I then set up to deal with them. Sometimes I'll set up goblin traps so essentially one entire side of the castle is immune to them. Then, you only have to worry about goblin fury on one side, and you can place your troll traps over there. Most of my games are very close and they all go to the end. I usually win as defender, and don't always win as attacker. Defending, you can control the battle a little even if you never get any initiative. I find this game much harder to play as the attacker. I have found that 2 or even 3 threats are pretty easy to defend against, but 4 threats are hard to develop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Chase
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, I've played a couple more times with the same results. Again, the overwhelming issue is that almost no goblins appear on the board. I have yet to have more than one appear at a wall segment at the same time. I would say 15-20 percent of invader units on the board are trolls, and almost all of the remainder are orcs. Apart from the starting units, maybe 1-2 goblins are making it to the board during the game rendering goblin traps and cauldrons cost-ineffective. I'Ve tried putting spies on training cards, but the single extra time unit in no way offsets the training benefit. I'be even counted the pieces to make sure the draw probability is OK.

Still loving this game, and I understand that I'm not particularly good at it, but my opponent's strategy of spending goblins and mobilising orcs and trolls seems impossible to counter at the moment. All he has to do is feint an attack at a few walls then pounce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my experience using goblins instead of trolls to pay for things helps the defender out quite a bit. I've found that the extra hourglasses can help their defense quite a bit - whether it's training up guys or giving extra defenses at the walls/towers.

If I'm not mistaken aren't the majority of cubes orcs? I'd have to check again. It that would explain why they are so prevalent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.