Popular Tags: [View All]
Mal Content
United States
Caln Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got FotM and noticed that on the horse butcher & church minor improvement cards in the FotM advanced deck, which both upgrade major improvements, it says to "discard" the major improvement when playing the minor. With such major improvement upgrades in other decks, and even in the FotM basic deck, it says to "return" the major improvement.

Does "discard" mean that the major improvement is put out of the game altogether, so that no one else can buy it (as opposed to returning it to the board for potential repurchase)?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
We have always played "discard" to mean returning it to the major improvements board for potential re-purchase by all players. Interested to hear what other players on the Geek has to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
The few times the situation has come up in Ugoi games, we've returned them to the Majors array for future purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Content
United States
Caln Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If MisterG says it's so, then Constant Reader must agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the nod of confidence, but must point out that Yeoster said it first, and the Compendium agrees with both of us on the Horse Butcher. Interestingly, it does not agree with us on the Church, which I think is a bit perplexing, since there's no reason it shouldn't work exactly like the Well/Village Well pair. It's not like the situation arises all that often...[head scratch]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Content
United States
Caln Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
Appreciate the nod of confidence, but must point out that Yeoster said it first, and the Compendium agrees with both of us on the Horse Butcher. Interestingly, it does not agree with us on the Church, which I think is a bit perplexing, since there's no reason it shouldn't work exactly like the Well/Village Well pair. It's not like the situation arises all that often...[head scratch]

In the Compendium, the ruling on the Church (discard from game) is an "official" ruling, presumably from some authoritative figure like Uwe Rosenberg, whereas the ruling on the Horse Butcher (return it to the board) is an "unofficial" ruling from pijll, the compiler of the Compendium. It would be easier to just discard the card from the game rather than quibble about whether it should go above or below, should another card be in the space (e.g., if the Well should be returned due to the Village Well before the Village Church is returned).

But, as you suggest, it's really much ado about nothing. If the situation ever arises, we'll probably just put it to a vote.

And I need to get a life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about the source that attributed the Church ruling as the "official" ruling. Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Content
United States
Caln Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeoster wrote:
I'm curious about the source that attributed the Church ruling as the "official" ruling. Thanks in advance!

The first page of the Compendium says "Each entry in this list contains the card text, the clarifications given in the appendix of the rulebook (where available), and a number of additional rulings. Many of these rulings are based on clarifications by Uwe Rosenberg, the game author, and Hanno Girke of Lookout Games."

The Compendium goes on to say that "unofficial" rulings are enclosed by hooks. The ruling that the Church gets removed from the game is not enclosed by hooks, so that ruling is presumably from an official source, but the Compendium does not specify the exact source. Maybe if you send pijll a geekmail, he'll remember the source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curmudgeon wrote:
The Compendium goes on to say that "unofficial" rulings are enclosed by hooks. The ruling that the Church gets removed from the game is not enclosed by hooks, so that ruling is presumably from an official source, but the Compendium does not specify the exact source. Maybe if you send pijll a geekmail, he'll remember the source.

I don't remember at the moment, and it's unlikely that a geekmail is going to change that

Usually, I included references to the rulings (not included in the PDF, but they are in the html version). There isn't one here, so I think it's the "usual source". Appendix of the rulebook maybe? I don't have the rulebook here ATM. Will look it up later, if I remember...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.