Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: What are your favourite artifacts ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
One of my favourites is Grotesque Statuette - it comes with 5 clues and you can spend a clue to cancel sanity loss from any single source. Maybe not as flashy, but very effective.

Pallid Mask, Ruby of R'lyeh, Mi-go brain jar are great tools.

Gate box, or whatever it's called in the english version - the one with +1 die in Other World encounters and +1 clue when you succeed. Good.

-------------
Stinkers:


Necronomicon is one of the more disappointing ones - Action: test Lore and you may pay 1 sanity for 2 spells. Compare it to the cost 3 tome from base game - whenever you rest, you may test Lore and gain one spell if you succeed. One thing it's good for is getting more spells in a hurry.

Halon T'ka - Action: Test Lore and a monster on your square loses 3 life. An artifact. Really ? So what's the point - Shriveling without nasty side effects ?

Cultes des Goules - test lore and you may have the privilege of sacrificing 1 sanity for 2 clues. How is it better than grotesque statuette ? Just in case a Mythos card removes all your clues ?

------------

As far as theme and pictures go, I like Flute of the Outer Gods, Cultes des Goules, and the glass which doubles spell success.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much the guaranteed worst one, fairly universal across these forums, is the Serpent Crown.

Most pointless: Heart of Winter

Favorites: Mi-Go brain case, Chainsword (aka Sword of St. Jerome), Silver Key.

And if you're willing to take fan expansion stuff, we really like this one, even thought it turns out to almost never give us anything (a fact that we have mixed feelings about):

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
Squirrels report that Serpent Crown exists solely to solve a ridiculous Yig mystery, so it's only technically an artifact. Not something anyone would consider a reward.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaque Lazaro
Brazil
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the silver key and the Necronomicon
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally some love for the most evil book.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
Roger the Alien wrote:
Finally some love for the most evil book.

I think the best use for it - apart from the most evil toilet paper - is fodder for Asenath Waite. The cost 3 ally from Strange Remnants can counter a gate when you discard two spells.

The grotesque statuette isn't just great as 5 clues - it's great on any character who struggles with sanity. I had it on Diana Stanley, and she had the Silver Lodge ally with +1 clue, sanity on killing a monster. She could pretty much shrug off ANY sanity loss, including the 6 from the other world encounter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Love: Sword of Saint Jerome - so fun.

Hate: Massa di Requiem per Shuggay. It always kills us
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
GreyICE wrote:
I actually really like Halon T'ka. It might be a bit of selection bias, but the one time we got it we had two epic monsters spawn and it made short and ugly work of both of them. Usually the action is simply way better than actually legitimately fighting those evil shits, and it's more damage than the Lightning Gun (6 dice is only 2 damage, on average).

Technically not true. There's only 36% chance that Lightning Gun will deal less damage than Halon T'ka! LG deals 2 damage 33% of the time and more than that 31% of the time. Calculated using Bernoulli Trials. http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/binomial.aspx
And with the book you can fail the lore roll and deal 0 damage. With 3 Lore that happens 30% of the time. That's 1.4 damage on average.

Similarly, Mark Harrigan's skill (1 damage) vs +3 Strength. Strength deals less damage(0) 30% of the time. But it can deal 3. Mark's skill is useful and reliable, but let's not get too far in praising it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lightning Gun.
Khopesh of the Abyss
Book of the Dead, (awesome secondary ability).
Twin Scepters.
Crystal of the Elder Things.
Silver Key (of course)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
you cannot atone for your sins with nightmares
Avatar
Twin Scepters makes a Lore-strong spellcaster a decent pugilist.
The idea of investigators passing off and chugging down the Milk of Shub-Niggurath is humorous.
They lose a bit of sanity to become these healthy, beefed-up folk who then grab the attention of ambushing monsters.

Sword of Saint Jerome and Khopesh of the Abyss are a lot of monster-beating fun.
T'tka Halot does sound effective. I hope the investigators acquire that tome in my next game.

But in all,Mi-go Brain Case is my favorite EH artifact, so far.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Grotesque Statuette and Silver Key are definite standouts that are very versatile. Most of the weapon artifacts are very good too. I like the Mi-Go Brain Case because it's useful pretty much no matter who gets it, which is not the case for a lot of artifacts. Getting specialized artifacts into the hands of the right investigator is not always easy. I just had a game where Mark Harrigan ended up lugging around the Necromonicon for no clear reason all game long. It's probably for the best that he never tried to read it...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slamin Perfect
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
b0rsuk wrote:
Squirrels report that Serpent Crown exists solely to solve a ridiculous Yig mystery, so it's only technically an artifact. Not something anyone would consider a reward.


Just got it again with Leo last night. So painful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.