Subject: Mosaic tiles as alternative marking stones? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for an efficient way to get enough marking stones, as game shops tend to mark them up crazy high. It seems like mosaics suppliers are the cheapest way to acquire them. While browsing one such store, I ran across flat mosiac tiles as a possible option.

Pros:
- Small
- stackable -- easier to pack, can maybe be used in more ways

Cons:
- maybe sharp?
- harder to see at a glance?
- brittle?
- sticky backed?

Anyone have experience with mosaics to warn me away from the idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mosaic tiles as altenrative marking stones?
I've got no idea about mosaic tiles, but I've enjoyed using Go stones as markers, and would highly recommend that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try looking for "decorator marbles" at craft stores. Much cheaper there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can get about 50-60 stones of a given color for $2.50 from mosaic art supply; finding them cheap is not difficult. But I could also go for something like https://mosaicartsupply.com/shop/12mm-elementile-glass-mosai... which comes with more than I could possibly need, but would be more compact.

Basically I'm curious about the risk of cuts etc using small mosaic tiles for unintended purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW (a meta-solution) the cheapest and most compact marking stones are non-existent stones. We always play with a "yes" half of the table and a "no" half of the table, simply moving the koans to the appropriate side to show which ones have the Buddha nature and which ones don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be concerned about the sharp edges and corners of the mosaic tiles, especially when using them in their role as "guessing stones": when somebody goes Mondo, the players all have to hold out a stone in their clenched fist, and then reveal (like when going high/low in poker) their guesses all at once. Clenching a mosaic tile might be uncomfortable.

Like at least one other respondent, I recommend the "flattened marble" glass beads from the craft store. A couple of dozen each (white, black, and green) won't be too expensive, and it ought to be plenty: the boxed set comes with twenty of each, and I've never run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In particular, I'm thinking about Elementiles: https://mosaicartsupply.com/shop/12mm-elementile-glass-mosai...

They look pretty roundish. But I'm not a mosaic artist, or even know where to find one. So maybe I'm missing something.

As far as quantity, almost all of the plays I've made have been in large groups (7-10ish), using more than four colors. Not all players are great at producing useful koans, so if a rule is slanted in a particular direction, it can run out faster than one might imagine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pwnguin wrote:
While browsing one such store, I ran across flat mosiac tiles as a possible option.

[...]

Anyone have experience with mosaics to warn me away from the idea?

The mosaic tiles I have seen would work just fine, for a while. They have just enough rounding on the edges and corners to be safe for handling. But the thickness is only about 3 mm or 1/8 inch so they would not be as robust as a Go stone or a decorator's flattened marble. A broken mosaic tile would have sharp edges and corners.

Glass is heavy enough that some people might not want to lug around 60+ pieces of it, especially if they are also toting a fair amount of other gaming equipment. I happen to like the heft, but if that idea puts you off, then maybe acrylic cubes, mini poker chips, or other plastic bits might be more to your liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just use M&Ms in a pinch. Cheap, colorful, and dessert's already taken care of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Went ahead and bought the tiles I was looking at. They fit very well in my .07L Really Useful Boxes. Photos for illustration:
http://pwnguin.net/albums/photologue/photo/zendo-stone-compa...
http://pwnguin.net/albums/photologue/photo/zendo-stones/

It turns out the minimum order comes with about 180 of each color, so it makes about 4 kits =). I'm gifting one to the person that introduced me to Zendo, not sure yet what I'll do with the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pwnguin wrote:
Went ahead and bought the tiles I was looking at. They fit very well in my .07L Really Useful Boxes. Photos for illustration:
http://pwnguin.net/albums/photologue/photo/zendo-stone-compa...
http://pwnguin.net/albums/photologue/photo/zendo-stones/

If you are willing, I recommend putting such photos into your personal gallery here at BGG https://boardgamegeek.com/images/user/541183/pwnguin because the forums are full of threads with old broken off-site photo links and comments or entire threads with holes where interesting useful images used to be.

Everyone always says "Oh, but I know these external image links will remain valid forever", yet history shows otherwise... :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and operate pwnguin.net, so I feel comfortable with the offsite link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Everyone always says "Oh, but I know these external image links will remain valid forever", yet history shows otherwise... :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reymann
United States
Barberton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy a copy of Othello/Reversi. 64 double-sided pieces for well under $20. They make excellent marking stones, especially because you don't have to worry about having too many or too few of one color! (Well, unless you want to have more than 64 Koans out at a time, in which case I'd be very worried...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using the translucent plastic cubes available in the BGG store as markers. Green and red for yes/no. Any other color for guessing.

http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/translucent-plastic-c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
russ wrote:

Then, for posterity's sake I have uploaded an action shot of the stones in use from this Friday:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HexNash wrote:
Just buy a copy of Othello/Reversi. 64 double-sided pieces for well under $20. They make excellent marking stones, especially because you don't have to worry about having too many or too few of one color! (Well, unless you want to have more than 64 Koans out at a time, in which case I'd be very worried...)

I use an altoid's mint tin of travel othello pieces from the thrift store. Light, small, cheap, and about the right scale to see them easily

I give everyone a regular size othello pieces to use in voting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hippiephysicschick wrote:
HexNash wrote:

I use an altoid's mint tin of travel othello pieces from the thrift store. Light, small, cheap, and about the right scale to see them easily

I give everyone a regular size othello pieces to use in voting.

I've never been able to find Travel Othello at the thrift store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we're talking price, the grand total for this was 18 bucks, and most of that was shipping. That's the minimum order size and came with enough for 3 or 4 sets of stones. I've already gifted one away, plan to gift another at some point, and might try using the 4th as a trade sweetener.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.