Subject: First ever solo playtest of first ever game design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a couple of weeks of scribbling notes and working the brainstormed ideas into a set of beginning rules, I finally managed to print out some basic tiles and tokens and run through a few sample turns.

Wow, what an amazing process! I have been tweaking rules in my head and on paper for weeks, but within 1 round of actually putting tiles down, I noticed problems. Easily fixed problems but still, not something that the rules in my head would have suggested. I heard from multiple sources that getting some test play in as soon as possible was important and now I can see why that is.

so here are the first public images of.. uh... some currently unnamed Tile laying, worker placement game set in space... or underwater... or somewhere where you need to build a station
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan benton
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job. It is crazy how glaring the flaws become when you actually push around the physical pieces. It's also a great feeling because you see exactly what you need to fix or tweak. Just don't get discouraged when your game sucks, because more likely than not, it will suck in the early stages. Keep pushing through until you get it to a point where you feel comfortable putting it in front of others. It's hard to find the fun in your game until you play it with other people (unless it's a solo game). Good luck on your journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second what Dylan Benton wrote above. Every great game absolutely sucked in the beginning. The difference between great games and all the rest is less a matter of imagination than one of hard work. Keep at it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
currently unnamed Tile laying, worker placement game set in space... or underwater... or somewhere where you need to build a station

sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
currently unnamed Tile laying, worker placement game set in space... or underwater... or somewhere where you need to build a station

sold.

wow, my first sale. guess I better hurry up and get this thing published!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another question for all the great designers here as my game knowledge isn't that extensive.

Are there any worker placement games where the board (the spaces you place the workers) is built up as the game progresses? and not on individual player boards, but that all the players collectively create the board that everybody's workers will play on?

My short pitch has been "Agracola played on Carcassonne (in space!)" and I just wanted to know if anything similar existed that I should look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you should absolutely play Steam Works

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petrix wrote:
you should absolutely play Steam Works

just checked out some videos. looks fun. I had never heard of it before. Definitively something I would enjoy. Gonna have to look for that at game group.

Also, thankfully, quite different from my design so I don't have to worry there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Never worry about your game being similar to another.

All games can be broken down to verbs and nouns, leaving nothing "original" enough.

I say this because I've had a lot of games submitted to me for review and the designer is usually very secretive or worried about their special formula being stolen or harshfully critiqued. I mean, it's wise to protect whats yours, but it ultimately causes ideas to stagnate or never take off past the prototype phase. Good design is vulnerable, yet confident.

Designing a game to be published is very different then just designing to have fun or play within your own group. There's nothing wrong with either direction, but it helps to identify what your goal is.

If you're interested, I've written more extensively about it at my geekblog : https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/5698/tau-leader-games-dev-blo...

Feel free to reach out if you want some feedback on your design! (from either perspective)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
Are there any worker placement games where the board (the spaces you place the workers) is built up as the game progresses? and not on individual player boards, but that all the players collectively create the board that everybody's workers will play on?

My short pitch has been "Agracola played on Carcassonne (in space!)" and I just wanted to know if anything similar existed that I should look at.

Caylus
Ora et Labora
Lords of Waterdeep
Le Havre
Keyflower

As you go down the list, a greater percentage of the placement spaces are built, so with Keyflower it is not what gets built but who owns it, with Le Havre it is who owns it and the order of building whereas Caylus will leave many buildings unbuilt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Never worry about your game being similar to another.

All games can be broken down to verbs and nouns, leaving nothing "original" enough.

I say this because I've had a lot of games submitted to me for review and the designer is usually very secretive or worried about their special formula being stolen or harshfully critiqued. I mean, it's wise to protect whats yours, but it ultimately causes ideas to stagnate or never take off past the prototype phase. Good design is vulnerable, yet confident.

Designing a game to be published is very different then just designing to have fun or play within your own group. There's nothing wrong with either direction, but it helps to identify what your goal is.

If you're interested, I've written more extensively about it at my geekblog : https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/5698/tau-leader-games-dev-blo...

Feel free to reach out if you want some feedback on your design! (from either perspective)

I've worked as a screen writer (well, script doctor) on no-budget/microbudget films in Hollywood, so I'm pretty familiar with the idea of keeping an idea secret and how not necessary it usually is. No one is going to steal your idea and even if they do, they will never implement it the same way as you. I have no fear in describing my design as a tile laying worker placement where everyone places tiles, Carcassonne-like, to build a space station and each tile is a worker placement spot available to everyone after it is placed (with bonuses for making the right connections). There are 8 different tiles and 8 different worker types (crew members). Each type of crew does a different action on each type of tile. Points are scored by performing actions that upgrade the output of modules for everyone or upgrade everybody's crew.

Much of this was motivated by my wife, who, like me, likes both tile laying and worker placement but has some very specific things she likes and doesn't like so right now this is mostly to have a game she might enjoy and to prove to myself I can make a game. But sure, the idea of publishing it at some point in the future is there. But I don't think I'm there yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.