Jason Craddock
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If all of the Gallic war bands are hidden against the attack of the Romans, and the Gallic faction declares a retreat, do they still need a legal region to retreat to since they can retreat in the region that they are in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, since they can retreat in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Craddock
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. The way the rule reads, a location is selected prior to the exception of the retreating hidden war bands and leader retreating in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
averydylan wrote:
Thanks. The way the rule reads, a location is selected prior to the exception of the retreating hidden war bands and leader retreating in place.
At first it really does, on closer reading it just seems that things are declared in a weird order:
You need to obtain agreement to retreat into other factions regions in step 2, but don't actually declare a region until step 6. Step 6 also talks about selecting the retreat region and is followed by the exception.

While it makes sense to get the agreement from the other faction before declaring the retreat and that the defender gets to pick the retreat destination after he sees which units got removed (die rolls due to citadel/leader), currently the wording implies that the region also needs to be selected in this step which is not actually the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct (thanks!).

The reason for the weird order is to avoid a player "gotcha" sequence, in which a defending player does not know in deciding to declare Retreat whether a 3rd player will allow access to an adjacent space when the time comes, the 3rd player implies that he will, but then in the end the 3rd player does not, resulting in elimination of the entire Retreating force.

In the specific case of Gallic Leaders and Hidden Warbands Retreating from Roman Attack, this order matters less, since Retreat within the Region is an option regardless of any 3rd player.

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shonai Dweller
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quick question to follow up on the above. If most of my warbands are hidden and one or two aren't (after losses), do I need a legitimate retreat spot for the unhidden ones, or can I just remove them from the game, poor victims left wandering out in the open after everyone else hid?

Rules say: "The Defender must either move all its
surviving Leader and Warbands to that Region or remove them"
So I assume that's OK, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you really don't NEED a Region to Retreat into, so you could just outright remove them, but why wouldn't you try at least?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi SD,

Yes, it's ok. You can have the Hidden stay put while the Revealed either go to a single valid adjacent Retreat Region or are removed (by choice or because there is no such adjacent Region).

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumping into this thread rather than create a new one.

I have Romans attacking the NP Arveni. There are 5 of them. So they can retreat into the same region they are currently in and remain hidden. I get that bit, thanks to this post. However they still take losses don't they? In my case I would lose 3 out of the 5 as the Romans could inflict a total of 6 losses, leaving 2 hidden.

I also have 1 Auxillary unit who didn't add anything to teh outcome. Do I still have to unhide them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. yes you would inflict 3 losses (step 3 of the battle procedure)
2. No you skip the reveal phase when a retreat has been declared, so no units are flipped in your example. If no retreat had been declared, you would have to unhide the last auxilia (all hidden warbands/auxilia become unhidden when step 5 is resolved).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Kemppainen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
badge
The state flag of Finland from January to May 1918
mbmbmbmbmb
One more specific question about retreating.

After retreat do the unhide / scouted warriors go hide / unscouted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jari58 wrote:
One more specific question about retreating.

After retreat do the unhide / scouted warriors go hide / unscouted?

Retreat is not a March, so they would stay Revealed / Scouted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.