United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you are a human you dies and comes back as an alien and then the aliens win - do you consider yourself a winner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
repthrd wrote:
So if you are a human you dies and comes back as an alien and then the aliens win - do you consider yourself a winner?
Yes.

There is also an item that lets you change into an alien. If you do that and the aliens win, you win as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes but you are not as cool as the original aliens who were aliens before being an alien was cool and winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Ragione
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Yes but you are not as cool as the original aliens who were aliens before being an alien was cool and winning.
this is accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the last Human go Alien? I presume so, but that's really weird... He can suddenly make absolutley everyone left in the game win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
repthrd wrote:
That's what sucks about team changing mechanics- the best human player can potentially lose to the worst human player. Also, human players can just jump ship and lose to the aliens on purpose if it looks bad for the humans. I was excitedd to pick up the game, but that mechanic is a real disappointment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
It's easy to fix. Just house rule it so that aliens only win on an individual basis if they manage to eat a human.

Or use a point system - you get points for each human you eat, each escape, each alien you kill, etc. You could even get a point penalty for getting eaten.

Don't let the base rules turn you off, the game is very easy to house rule. And there's an official variant with a point system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Backhouse
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still a bit confused by the win conditions. In the rules (ultimate edition) on the last page it says "Any human player that is killed by the Aliens loses the game".

This seems to contradict what people are saying in this thread? I read this to mean that a human that is killed and moves to the Alien team cannot win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T1m0thy wrote:
I'm still a bit confused by the win conditions. In the rules (ultimate edition) on the last page it says "Any human player that is killed by the Aliens loses the game".

This seems to contradict what people are saying in this thread? I read this to mean that a human that is killed and moves to the Alien team cannot win.
Resurrecting this. I have the same problem. I just read the rules and came here to see if that's right. That's how I read the rules as well, but then it seems like if you are a human-turned alien then you have no incentive to hunt humans. You have already lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - half-full heart containerMicrobadge: Rush fan
kennyj wrote:
T1m0thy wrote:

Resurrecting this. I have the same problem. I just read the rules and came here to see if that's right. That's how I read the rules as well, but then it seems like if you are a human-turned alien then you have no incentive to hunt humans. You have already lost.
I too couldn't figure this out after playing for the first time today. If killed humans restart as an alien, what are they supposed to do if they've already lost and have no possible win condition?

This seems like the definition of "broken".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
kennyj wrote:
T1m0thy wrote:

I too couldn't figure this out after playing for the first time today. If killed humans restart as an alien, what are they supposed to do if they've already lost and have no possible win condition?

This seems like the definition of "broken".
I don't see it as broken at all. If you lose a game, you've lost. Now there are plenty of games that when you lose, you're just out and have to sit and wait for the other players to finish. King of Tokyo, for example. That can be really boring.

Instead, this game gives you the opportunity to continue playing, even though you can't win because you already lost. Since it is really an everyone-for-themselves type game, you can either try to ensure you aren't the only person to lose by hunting the other human players, or you could try to make other aliens lose by devouring them (in which case they ARE out of the game), or all of the above, which if successful means NOBODY wins. Or you can just faff about and do nothing. It's all up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - half-full heart containerMicrobadge: Rush fan
COMaestro wrote:
If you lose a game, you've lost.
Except rules don't actually say that. They say if you're killed as a human you're now an alien. Great, so now kill the other humans and you win! (??)

COMaestro wrote:
...you can either try to ensure you aren't the only person to lose by hunting the other human players, or you could try to make other aliens lose by devouring them (in which case they ARE out of the game), or all of the above, which if successful means NOBODY wins.
I still contend that if the game doesn't declare an objective for you, it's broken. But either way, is the scenario you presented (everyone loses) even possible? How? The last turn has to be a human dying, right? Which means Aliens win. Either just the living ones or also the dead ones (rules aren't clear). How can everyone lose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
COMaestro wrote:
If you lose a game, you've lost.
Except rules don't actually say that. They say if you're killed as a human you're now an alien. Great, so now kill the other humans and you win! (??)

COMaestro wrote:
...you can either try to ensure you aren't the only person to lose by hunting the other human players, or you could try to make other aliens lose by devouring them (in which case they ARE out of the game), or all of the above, which if successful means NOBODY wins.
I still contend that if the game doesn't declare an objective for you, it's broken. But either way, is the scenario you presented (everyone loses) even possible? How? The last turn has to be a human dying, right? Which means Aliens win. Either just the living ones or also the dead ones (rules aren't clear). How can everyone lose?
Actually, they DO say that on page 8 under The End of the Game.

Quote:
Any Human player that is killed by the Aliens loses the game.
Despite saying that humans killed by aliens come back as an alien on their next turn (page 5, item 4 under Attacking), the rules outright say that a Human player killed by Aliens loses.

I suppose you can say that if all Humans are killed, the Aliens technically win, even if all players that started the game as Aliens are dead. Posthumous victory and all that. Using that interpretation, you are correct. The surviving Alien still lost though, per the rules, as they were originally a Human player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
COMaestro wrote:

Quote:
Thanks! I missed that.

I will humbly change my evaluation from "broken" to "bad".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
COMaestro wrote:

Quote:
Thanks! I missed that.

I will humbly change my evaluation from "broken" to "bad".
Fair enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls