Subject: How does "Joy Virus" work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pablo Espinosa
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the card says:
"Draw a card and then reveal the top card of your deck. If the card types of those two cards do not match, repeat this process"
So, what I understood I keep drawing cards until the last card I draw match type with the top card of my deck or I run out of deck. I use it in a game with one friend and we just get the impression that it was kind of broken since I got to draw my entire deck in one turn (plus i get to play the 3 gems in the same turn ), we just stopped playing since at that point of the game it was obvious that I was going to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
It can be very good mid to late game if you have a wide variety of card types, and have destroyed several starters. Buy it early and you are likely to draw one Punchies with it, making it not so good.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Pablo, I also found that card to be really powerful, even if you get it pretty early. All it takes is 3-4 different card types in a row and your hand is all of a sudden really, really strong. We are going to play our next game without it. I think it will even up the playing field.

EDIT: What we might do instead is limit the number of additional cards we get from the Joy Virus card to 2-3. Since some other cards allow you to draw 1 additional card, having this card have the potential to draw 2-3 cards might be a good compromise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, does seem too strong in our game too. Drawing your whole deck, using only one card, with minimal synergistic requirements, is a bit strong for a stand alone card. You can end up cycling your deck and having 20+ power. Maybe it will work 1 in 3 times. But that's enough to snag the most powerful cards and snowball.

Suggestion:
"Draw a card and then reveal the top card of your deck. Repeat this process until the revealed card type matches the card type of ANY cards drawn by the joy virus"

Maybe someone has a more elegant way to put this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Candy
Australia
flag msg tools
What happens if the draw card for joy virus is an Inside Joke? Does joy virus fizzle because inside joke is not a card type, or will it match with another inside joke, or do you just draw your entire deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
kanndae2003 wrote:
What happens if the draw card for joy virus is an Inside Joke? Does joy virus fizzle because inside joke is not a card type, or will it match with another inside joke, or do you just draw your entire deck?

It won't match anything as it doesn't have a card type.
That gives you one more draw/reveal. You don't suddenly get to draw your entire deck if the top card doesn't match.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Candy
Australia
flag msg tools
So Joy Virus is played and the Card Types in order from the top of the deck are as follows

1. Hero
2. Villian
3. Hero
4. Super Power
5. Super Power

Therefore Joy Virus, draws the top four cards and stops at the reveal of card 5?

I've seen a lot of enquiry about this one card alone. And I saw on your forum that we could propose an errata. I would like to propose an errata, but in no way see my proposal as a completely improvement, but I didn't see any other suggestions. I feel that the card just needs to be read really carefully in order to understand, particularly given late game, it is really overpowered for the cost. Almost like getting Man of Steel from the original DC DBG at the cost that Joy Virus is.

But I do feel, should there be a change, it should be more for the fact that the card says 'Draw' as the first action, then reveal. Given draw and reveal are two distinct action where you typically don't show a draw, you end up relying on honesty.

So my proposal, do with as you wish. I'm not fussed if it is used, laughed at or ignored completely. And it isn't much longer than the original text.

"Reveal cards from the top of your deck until two of the same type in a row are revealed. Add all cards to your hand except the last card revealed."

I do hope that is an accurate translation of the card's purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
kanndae2003 wrote:
So Joy Virus is played and the Card Types in order from the top of the deck are as follows

1. Hero
2. Villian
3. Hero
4. Super Power
5. Super Power

Therefore Joy Virus, draws the top four cards and stops at the reveal of card 5?

Correct.
Anytime there is card comparison, the default is to reveal, even if it doesn't say so specifically. Yes, that could have been added to the card, but the card is already a little long, so there wasn't room in this case.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kanndae2003 wrote:

1. Hero
2. Villian
3. Hero
4. Super Power
5. Super Power

This is assuming that the cards don't share some other type like Male or Female or Crystal Gem, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Candy
Australia
flag msg tools
Male/Female Heroes are all Hero types, regardless of gender or if they are gem type. Same for villian.

The only card that doesn't have a type is Inside Joke.
And Nemesis are not and Male/Female Villians

I believe this is all mentioned in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.