5 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Strategy

Subject: First skirmish tournament - what list should I run? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone - after a bit of advice. There's a newbie friendly tournament coming up and I fancy a go at it. Ive never played skirmish before (except against myself) and wondered if someone could point me in the right direction for a list.

Currently I have to choose from:
Core set
Chewbacca
Han Solo
Leia
C3po and r2d2
Rebel sabatours
Ig88
General Weiss

I'm not after anything tournament winning or anything, just a simple straightforward list that won't make me look like a total idiot.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Dean
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish is a really fun way to play Imperial Assault. As for your tournament list, you should head over to http://ia-armies.com/ and have a look around. You can click on the blue box at the top to see a wide range of lists!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Mannheim
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Rebels:
With Luke and Leia you have a good base, C3PO and Gideon play to the Rebels Strength to Focus a lot, R2D2 to have Command Card dominance. Elite Rebel Saboteurs are also very strong. You don't have any troopers, so to substitute that, try to fill your list up with some of the cheaper heroes to have enough activations and attacks for the remaining 8 points or consider Rebel High Command (2pt) for even more Command Card Dominance.

Imperials:
That's your easiest bet for a competitive list, because there are a lot of basic units. Anything with two groups of Elite Heavy Stormtroopers (18 pts) is solid, really. If you add an expensive unit like General Weiss (who is actually not bad in the current meta, because he can block a Bantha Rider), don't forget to ad some Imperial Officers to push their movement.

Think about buying a box of Rebel Troopers for the excellent Command Card "Reinforcements" and to have more units when playing Rebels.

Don't play Scum, you don't have enough options (IG-88 and Trandoshan Hunters do have some Strain Synergy, but that's only viable with some of the newer cards from I think Bossk).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up Leia and then run with her, Luke, C3PO, Gideon, Rebel High Command, and whatever else for your last 15 points (elite sabs are nice. Dials is interesting against some lists). Experiment and play what you like.
Happy gaming!
-ryanjamal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nichols
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If using saboteurs, imperial officers, or royal guards make sure you read https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e0/dd... as they have changed.

As for your list I'll just focus on the rebels as an imperial list will be mainly troopers. It's fairly easy to set one up.

Incredibul wrote:
Rebels:
With Luke and Leia you have a good base, C3PO and Gideon play to the Rebels Strength to Focus a lot, R2D2 to have Command Card dominance. Elite Rebel Saboteurs are also very strong. You don't have any troopers, so to substitute that, try to fill your list up with some of the cheaper heroes to have enough activations and attacks for the remaining 8 points or consider Rebel High Command (2pt) for even more Command Card Dominance.

I agree with this and would elaborate further to say that of the heroes in the core game Gideon is the best value and Luke and Leia have a good synergy when they are within three spaces of each other. This allows Leia to use Luke's reroll ability, and for Luke to attack as part of Leia's battlefield leadership. They both have decent attacks, recover, and Leia's Military efficiency surge ability is really good. Gideon is most useful for focusing other figures and is cheap. He can also move others and has a reasonable attack (+2d and focus surge abilities) considering his low cost.

As far as the remaining core box heroes go I'd rate them as follows:

Chewie (15 pts): good attack, good defence, good abilities. However, 15 points is a huge chunk of your allowance. If you take Luke, Leia and Gideon (and I suggest you do) that would leave 4 points with only 4 figures taken so far.
Han (12 pts): good attack and good abilities. 12 points is too much though. Luke is better and cheaper.
Fenn (9 pts): not worth the cost, especially if there aren't other troopers around to use his assault ability.
Gaarkhan (8 pts): I like him. He can focus himself easily, charge allows him to attack more easily than most melee figures, and he can double attack if he takes damage. Ten health and auto-block give him good survivability. Maybe not worth his high cost, but better value than Fenn and worth considering.
Diala (7 pts): One of the better choices. White die with auto-reroll and a recover surge ability help her stay alive. Shattering blow means you can do plenty of damage to high value targets.
Jyn (5 pts): I killed her relatively easily last time I played against her, but for her cost she's OK. Nimble and cunning work well with the white die. Nice surge abilities and can attack outside her activation.
Mak (3 pts): I don't think others will agree (I rarely see him mentioned in lists) but I think he's good value at three points. He can hit from range and target through figures. If you use him to attack already weakened black die figures his Critical hit ability allows him to discard opponent's command cards from their hand. This could be game changing if you get rid of certain cards. He'll die if you get him near the front lines so keep him at the back.

Incredibul wrote:
Anything with two groups of Elite Heavy Stormtroopers (18 pts) is solid, really.

Do you mean heavies? Two groups of eHeavy Stormtroopers is 16 pts, two groups of eStormtroopers is 18 pts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.