5 Posts

Lost Patrol» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant: combining old and new rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Mant
England
flag msg tools
I bought the new version of weekend lost patrol over the. Really enjoy the theme and the variance with the tile laying and think it good be an awesome game. However as the new rules stand ,to me, just make the game well impossible for the marines and too predetermined for the genestealer player i.e. always assault with 3 genestealers making the game well no fun.

I therefore hunted down the old rules and found the game a lot more enjoyable to play but stifound crowding the new miniatures into one tile a bit silly so thought of combining the rules and modifying the genestealer assault strength.

Basically from a post by sdruelinger on another thread querying the assault strength: 1 genestealer is worth 2 and additional genestealers now worth 1 each so a total of 4 max. This is till a 5+ for a lone marine and an even chance for 2 marines (without modifiers) to survive.

Then adding the old shooting rules i.e. 3D6 for a regular scout and 6D6 for the heavy still with a 6 to hit using line of sight shooting.

Everything else remains the same

With the above rules I reckon the marines can win about 1 in 3 to 4 games making a much better experience. Maybe too much of an advantage based on the theme being 'death in the jungle' but works for me

Let me know your thoughts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Talionis
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any variant for playing with other weapons in the new rulebook ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mant
England
flag msg tools
Unfortunately no exciting weapon variants in the new additon simply 1 more dice for the heavy when shooting and the same +1 modifier when providing cover fire for the ambush/assualt as in the orinignal rules...would be an idea to make a variant to allow other weapons e.g. flamers which could fire without line of site for instance, sniper rifles which hit on 4,5,6 but with only 1 dice etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mantben wrote:
Unfortunately no exciting weapon variants in the new additon simply 1 more dice for the heavy when shooting and the same +1 modifier when providing cover fire for the ambush/assualt as in the orinignal rules...would be an idea to make a variant to allow other weapons e.g. flamers which could fire without line of site for instance, sniper rifles which hit on 4,5,6 but with only 1 dice etc

Use a flamer and burn the jungle down. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mant
England
flag msg tools
Awesome idea could use a flamer to destroy tiles to prevent ambushes from a set location...burn mother f.... burn:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.