Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I wouldn't be asking this if the novel weren't one of my favorites ones

Anyway, when this Asylum Pack came out the consensus was that it was pretty worthless, except for Alaskan Sledge Dog and Snow Graves.

However this evaluation was done when AP had 40 cards and many expansions were still to be published. For example, I now have "Never Night", which nicely rounds up the "Polar" theme.

I just stumbled into a good offer for AtMoM (60 cards); not exceptional but good. Given the above, how would the "cognoscenti" evaluate this pack now? Did his value increased with the new expansions? I'm exp. intrigued by the potential synergy with "Never Night".

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Polar subtype, and I have a lot of fun with it. In addition to Never Night, there are a lot of Polar cards in Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game – Seekers of Knowledge.

In addition to Snow Graves (the nerfed Sledge Dogs are nothing to write home about), Forgotten Shoggoth is an excellent defense against milling, and I think Cave Mouth is a clever and under-rated card.

Hand Camera, weak when originally published, has become even worse with the growth of the card pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Often, the usefulness of a card can depend on how big your pool is. With a small collection, cards that are only usually "ok" can be staples. For instance, Hastur tends to be icon poor and may get some use out of Albino Penguin even though he probably wouldn't be in a top level deck (which tend to be more ability centric rather than icons anyway).

If you have enough Polar cards you can make some fun themed decks. Forgotten Shoggoth is handy in discard decks particularly. Snow Graves is pretty staple at any level. Polar Mirage is quite good too, I've used that card a fair bit. Barque Miskatonic isn't bad, though it's been outclasses these days by San Marco Basilica and Franklin Automobile. White Out could be usaeful too, again assuming a modest collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.