Daryl Falco
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Suppose a monster has Reach and is two spaces away from the nearest hero. It's action window is (1) Engage the closest hero (2) Attack the closest hero.

RAW seems to indicate that action (1) should occur since "when engaging, a figure is trying to get adjacent to a target" [RTL rules, page 8], even though with Reach it could attack from where it is.

The reason why it could matter is if action (1) is first skipped and the monster defeats the hero with (2), then it could go back to (1) and move towards a new hero.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chalmers
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know what the official rules are, but I would play that since the monster has reach and he is one space a way he is essentially adjacent for attacking purposes.

This is just an opinion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
sador42 wrote:
I don't know what the official rules are, but I would play that since the monster has reach and he is one space a way he is essentially adjacent for attacking purposes.

This is just an opinion though.

At least you're right on that last part.

There's no "essentially adjacent for attacking purposes". A figure is either adjacent to another or it isn't.

I agree though that it could potentially be an oversight on FFG's part to take into account Reach for some monsters. Though it's also possible that they've built this into the activation behaviour for monsters in the app. When you open the "info" screen for monsters with Reach, does it say anything relating to this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
There's actually a ruling on this in the RtL rulebook p10:

Quote:
DECISION-MAKING
When resolving app instructions, players frequently have multiple options. When this happens, it is up to the players to decide how to resolve it within the confines of the provided instructions.

How the decision-making is approached is largely up to the play group. New players or players looking for a easier experience are free to steer the monsters toward choices that favor the heroes. Players looking for a true test of skill should steer the monsters toward the tactical maneuvers that a skilled overlord would employ.

Regardless of how players approach them, these decisions need to be made as quickly as possible without excess deliberation.

Seems to me to be pretty much perfect advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatGuyMontag wrote:
There's actually a ruling on this in the RtL rulebook p10:

Quote:
DECISION-MAKING
When resolving app instructions, players frequently have multiple options. When this happens, it is up to the players to decide how to resolve it within the confines of the provided instructions.

How the decision-making is approached is largely up to the play group. New players or players looking for a easier experience are free to steer the monsters toward choices that favor the heroes. Players looking for a true test of skill should steer the monsters toward the tactical maneuvers that a skilled overlord would employ.

Regardless of how players approach them, these decisions need to be made as quickly as possible without excess deliberation.

Seems to me to be pretty much perfect advice.

I'm not sure this applies. Your quote above is intended for situations like which hero should the monster attack/engage/spot when there are multiple heroes are an equal option.

If the app tells you to engage a hero that means attempt to become adjacent to the hero, not "essentially adjacent". This could matter for several different reason. One example would be the Ettin. It has reach but also has throw where you need actually be adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Go for adjacent, if possible. The app have special activations for the monsters (especially masters) with the reach skill in mind (or others like throw).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Summer
Germany
flag msg tools

Hi FFG, regarding Road to Legend: Is it intended that there are no rules for monsters with reach as there were in the PODs ?

Quote:

Hi Carsten,

For Road to Legend, we went with the simpler ruleset. So yes, the monster with reach would still move before attacking. You can, of course, play using the POD rules if you prefer that experience.

Thanks for playing,

Nathan Hajek
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.