Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Biski
United States
Long Island City
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I am so confused:

1. At the beginning of a ROUND, are the empty 6 sided tile spaces replenished from the supply OR are ALL sided tiles removed and replenished?

2. At the beginning of a ROUND, do we still hand out workers? If so it would seem that people would have a LOT of workers very quickly.

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. All remaining hex tiles on the central board are removed and replaced at the beginning of a round phase, and all emptied hex spaces are refilled. But since castles, mines, and boats are all the same, those can be left there rather than replaced.

2. No, there's no extra distribution of workers at the beginning of rounds phases after the first.

Edit to add: No hex tiles are removed or replaced at the start of a round. No workers are distributed either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Einsielder
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supercooldude004 wrote:

1. At the beginning of a ROUND, are the empty 6 sided tile spaces replenished from the supply OR are ALL sided tiles removed and replenished?

No. Not only the empty spaces are filled. Before that all remaining six-sided tiles are removed. Then all places are filled. In a 4 player game therefore it is guaranteed that all tiles come into play.

4-sided good tiles stay on the board.

supercooldude004 wrote:

2. At the beginning of a ROUND, do we still hand out workers? If so it would seem that people would have a LOT of workers very quickly.

At the END of each round one player may get workers for his mines if he has mines and the corresponding yellow tile.
There is NO "workers-income" at the beginning of a round.

By the way: one of the keys to win this game is to setup your game that flexible that you do not need to spend workers (even if you throw the dice badly)... getting 2 workers for sacrificing a die is the worse move you can do. Avoid this if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Einsiedler wrote:
getting 2 workers for sacrificing a die is the worse move you can do. Avoid this if you can.

While I concur on avoiding the need, there may be many times, depending on how invested you are in a strategy, where you will need all that is at your disposal to to acquire necessary hex tiles.

It may be well worth buying and spending Workers:

1) early in the game, if it means acquiring one or two ongoing benefit Knowledge tiles, especially those that provide an effective "worker" bonus.

2) later in the game, if it means completing a given set, especially from a dwindling pool of possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider it a must to do the worker upgrades..

1 tile that gives 4 workers instead of just 2 and/or other tile that gives workers +/- of 2, instead of just the +/- of 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that (when I can) getting the Yellow Tile that provides either 1 Gold + 1 Worker when shipping, and/or the 1 Gold + 1 Worker for Mines will generally keep me from needing to take the Workers action too often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Einsielder
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GenChaos wrote:

1 tile that gives 4 workers instead of just 2 and/or other tile that gives workers +/- of 2, instead of just the +/- of 1.

No. Please consider it as a "Never-Do-This".

You don't want to do the "get 2 workers" move. Even with this yellow tile it is a "below average" move... don't do it!

You want to achieve ~ +-250 VP. You have 50 dice. So each die is worth about 5 VP. The "2 workers move" a) is worth only 1 VP and probably it won't add +5 VP to the move where you use the workers and b) it pushes you 1 turn behind your opponents which you should not underestimate.

If I see a player using the "get 2 workers" move 2-3 times, I know that he is out of the game and I can concentrate on the others.

Workers are great! Of course!
Get the from: a city tile (+4 workers) or yellow bonus on sale goods or yellow bonus on mines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GenChaos wrote:

I consider it a must to already know by the 4th End what kind of beer I am going to order after a curling game. You get a thumbs up and a GG for having an image of curling stones as your avatar.

Now back to Castles of Burgundy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Biski
United States
Long Island City
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
1. All remaining hex tiles on the central board are removed and replaced at the beginning of a round, and all emptied hex spaces are refilled. But since castles, mines, and boats are all the same, those can be left there rather than replaced.

2. No, there's no extra distribution of workers at the beginning of rounds after the first.

But I am watching Rahdo run through it and and he doesn't even refill the empty spaces between ROUNDS, he only removes and refills between PHASES.

I am still really REALLY confused.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supercooldude004 wrote:
But I am watching Rahdo run through it and and he doesn't even refill the empty spaces between ROUNDS, he only removes and refills between PHASES.

Nothing is replenished during the Phase. Replenishment occurs after the Phase to start the next Phase. Note however that one goods tile from the Round track is distributed to the depots at the start of each Round.

During the 5 Rounds of the Phase the players play with what is available before them.

Rulebook page 9:
"End of a phase
A phase ends after five rounds. Players with mines now receive the corresponding number of Silverlings. Some of the yellow “knowledge” tiles may also have an effect. The next phase then begins."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supercooldude004 wrote:

People are getting Rounds and Phases messed up.

Rahdo is doing it right. A Round consists of everyone rolling their dice, then placing them and taking actions.

There are five Phases, A - E. Each phase starts with restocking the board, then multiple rounds of dice rolling and placing occurs.

Frankly, the rules are quite clear on all this. Giving out workers is part of Setup, and therefore only done once:

Game Setup
Give each player:
- 1 player board
- 1 Silverling
Determine a start player and give
each player 1 to 4 worker tiles
depending on play order

Gameplay

At the start of each phase:

- all remaining six-sided tiles are
removed (not in the first phase)

- Goods tiles on the depots’ goods
spaces remain

- add new face-up six-sided tiles
from the supply (depending on
number of players)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I got rounds and phases mixed up. I'm not sure why you would even consider doing the things described in the OP for each round. Anyway, I've edited my initial response for round/phase accuracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Biski
United States
Long Island City
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
Yeah, I got rounds and phases mixed up. I'm not sure why you would even consider doing the things described in the OP for each round. Anyway, I've edited my initial response for round/phase accuracy.

This is why I am glad there are smarter people than me (like you) on this forum. Thanks for the help everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, no offense meant. I was just trying to justify my own confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Biski
United States
Long Island City
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
Sorry, no offense meant. I was just trying to justify my own confusion.

no no, no offense, I was trying to be funny blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supercooldude004 wrote:

This quote from page 3 of the rules, with my highlight.

The game lasts for five phases (A through E). Each phase consists of five rounds.

GAMEPLAY

Setup for each phase

At the start of each phase, the following setup is carried out:
- Remove all six-sided tiles remaining on the board and return them to the box (naturally not required before the first phase).
- Randomly draw new six-sided tiles and place them, face-up, onto the matching-coloured six-sided spaces in the six numbered depots: ...

Edit:
I do now see a quote has already been made in paraphrase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.