Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tauriel: You and another player secretly compare hands. The player with the higher value is out of the round.

Arkenstone: If you discard this card you are out of the round.

Arkenstone is the highest value card. If you get both it is instadeath. Since you have to hold on to the Arkenstone the chance of drawing Tauriel later is very high.

It happened twice in three rounds.

BROKEN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:
Tauriel: You and another player secretly compare hands. The player with the higher value is out of the round.

Arkenstone is the highest value card. If you get both it is instadeath. Since you have to hold on to the Arkenstone the chance of drawing Tauriel later is very high.

BROKEN!

Having it happen that often so soon sure is bad luck, but it's certainly not broken
(we have played somewhere in the region of 100 games of this, our daughter loves it! we even had to buy a 2nd copy after the first one wore out lol)

EDITED TO ADD : Thorin can save you here if you're lucky enough to get him instead (same chances to get him as Tauriel), he lets you get rid of the Artkenstone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is interesting that they flipped it from normal Love Letter. In other versions of the game, having the Princess (8) and Baron (3) both in hand means you can kick any player of your choosing out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Arkenstone is only worth 7 at the end of the game, therefore Tauriel loses when going up against the stone... at least that's how I was told to play her.

Thread below.

tauriel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
It is interesting that they flipped it from normal Love Letter. In other versions of the game, having the Princess (8) and Baron (3) both in hand means you can kick any player of your choosing out of the game.

You can do that with The Arkenstone(8) and Legolas (3) pretty much, or with The One Ring (0) and Tauriel (3) in hand.

I'm assuming you're talking about a no-lose compare of hands? If the Baron is something else, I apologise

(The two '3' cards are different in the hobbit version, one is highest is out, one is lowest is out)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoweringTheBar wrote:
The Arkenstone is only worth 7 at the end of the game, therefore Tauriel loses when going up against the stone... at least that's how I was told to play her.

Thread below.

tauriel

I think you might be confusing the Arkenstone(8) (this thread) and The One Ring?(0) (the other thread)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeggil wrote:
XeyneGaming wrote:

You can do that with The Arkenstone(8) and Legolas (3) pretty much, or with The One Ring (0) and Tauriel (3) in hand.

I'm assuming you're talking about a no-lose compare of hands? If the Baron is something else, I apologise

(The two '3' cards are different in the hobbit version, one is highest is out, one is lowest is out)

Oh, I see. Instead of two Barons, the Hobbit version has a Legolas (which matches the original Baron) and a Tauriel, which is reversed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeggil wrote:
LoweringTheBar wrote:

Thread below.

tauriel

I think you might be confusing the Arkenstone(8) (this thread) and The One Ring?(0) (the other thread)

Oops... my bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:

BROKEN!

Twice in three rounds is simply bad luck. Sort of like getting struck by lightning...odds are against it happening, but the possibility is there.

That being said, are you actually complaining about bad luck in Love Letter? Love Letter is almost purely a luck driven game. The one caveat to this is that rounds/games are over so fast it's usually not a problem. The people that like Love Letter pretty much like it for the same reason you listed as "broken."

If you want more meat in your game you need games that are less based in luck. That means longer games, more and deeper decisions, and greater depth. Which essentially the opposite of Love Letter and the core of it's appeal. There are many incrementally deeper games than Love Letter that still tend to offer the same appeal (Lost Legacy often is mentioned here) all the way up to games like Mai Star (still imbalanced, but deeper), Dice Heist (A new one that's only marginally deeper than Love Letter), Mars Attacks (Love Letter appeal using dice), Age of War (same idea), Mystery Rummy, Diamonds, Wizard, etc.

Love Letter is one of the quickest games around that has a huge mass appeal. You concede depth to achieve this.

Worth noting is every iteration of Love Letter has some form of "instadeath" mechanic in it. With the original Factory Edition being the biggest culprit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor J
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this game again, I have no problem with the mechanic of auto losing with Tauriel + Arkenstone, the problem I have is that it makes no thematic sense. If Tauriel was instead replaced by Thorin, then I can understand it - Thorin gets the Arkenstone and goes insane or something. The Tauriel character just seems to be forced into the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
VictorJ wrote:
Playing this game again, I have no problem with the mechanic of auto losing with Tauriel + Arkenstone, the problem I have is that it makes no thematic sense. If Tauriel was instead replaced by Thorin, then I can understand it - Thorin gets the Arkenstone and goes insane or something. The Tauriel character just seems to be forced into the deck.

Bah, you're looking too deep into it. Thematically I'm good with it. Hobbit is probably our most played version followed closely by Batman. We love throwing Gandalf down and saying, "you shall not pass!"

We all wish it was a LOTR version instead of the hobbit. Much more room for better themed cards in that universe. But alas, it is what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VictorJ wrote:

Makes sense, since she was also forced into the movies, and wasn't in the original book. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rigel Rafuse
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
so broken i love hating this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.