Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Does anyone believe Trump would make a good President rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand there are lots of reasons RSPers may vote for Trump for President in November, including:
1. He is the Republican nominee
2. He is not Clinton
3. The humor
4. Irony
5. A protest vote
6. Sticking a finger in the eye of the establishment
7. Increasing gridlock
8. Hoping for anarchy
9. Hoping for the destruction of one or both major political parties
10. Boredom

I am curious. Is there anyone on RSP who believes Trump would actually make a good President? If so, who, if anyone, do you believe was the last good President (not necessarily for the same reasons you believe Trump would be a good President)?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
If so, who, if anyone, do you believe was the last good President (not necessarily for the same reasons you believe Trump would be a good President)?


The last great president was Silent Calvin Coolidge. And no, Trump and Hillary will be disasters in the same vein as Obama. More war and more debt are not very appealing to me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
Avatar
mbmb
possible 2 people - one being Trump himself. I don't know if his mom is still alive for number two!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
chaos is fun
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Shaw
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Does anyone think Clinton would make a good President?


I think she will.
15 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He's not afraid to tell it like it is.

(That's not an answer to whether he'd be good. It's just the reason we always hear about why someone will vote for him.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RedV wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Does anyone think Clinton would make a good President?


I think she will.


Admitting it is the first step to recovery.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
Avatar
mbmb
Some of us would just like to watch the world burn. Sadly I don't get a vote. On the bright side due to democracy there are enough people who do for my work to be done for me!
1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not believe Trump will be a good president.

I do not believe Clinton will be a good president.

There is no viable third choice yet again.



The United States will once again elect a bad president. Our long declining road to mediocrity will continue apace.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is possible he could be a good President, if being a complete asshole turns out to be some kind of publicity act gone to far. But not enough to risk voting for him.

I think Clinton is competent, though I don't share her vision and I distrust her ethics. Still she is my likely choice this year, though I may vote 3rd party since I live in WA State and have no doubts this state is already locked in for her.

The last President I was happy about being the President was Bill Clinton. Though in retrospect I am less happy with some of the disasters that were put in motion under his leadership.

In the end neither Bush Jr. nor Obama turned out to be as bad as I feared they would be. But that is still a far cry from being happy with their legacies.

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Does anyone think Clinton would make a good President?


She will be light years ahead of Trump in this regard. Then again, her being measured against a mentally unstable lying bigot does skew the comparison
16 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Does anyone think Clinton would make a good President?


Definitely in the top 44.

---
Seriously, probably in the top 2/3 minimum. I think more will depend on how she steps up for events she can't control. I do not expect her to be in the top 8 tho. Probably in the muddy middle.

---
(edit after 1st thumb).
Oh yea-- parent question...

Trump might well be the worst president we ever elected. I suspect he would be massively corrupt, mercurial in temper, and possibly finish going senile before leaving office.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Trump
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Anyone who doesn't think that I won't be the classiest president, the most diplomatic president ever, those people are just losers. They're haters who don't know how to be successful like me. Have any of them ever had their own line of meats sold at The Sharper Image? I don't think so. So the only reason for people to not vote for me is because they're jealous. All of you, you're just jealous that I am so classy. If this president thing doesn't work for me, then it's all because I'm too popular and people hate me for it. That's it. Just a bunch of losers.

I'm gonna be an awesome president. Like, the best ever.
13 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
TheDonald wrote:
Anyone who doesn't think that I won't be the classiest president, the most diplomatic president ever, those people are just losers. They're haters who don't know how to be successful like me. Have any of them ever had their own line of meats sold at The Sharper Image? I don't think so. So the only reason for people to not vote for me is because they're jealous. All of you, you're just jealous that I am so classy. If this president thing doesn't work for me, then it's all because I'm too popular and people hate me for it. That's it. Just a bunch of losers.

I'm gonna be an awesome president. Like, the best ever.

FIFY
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Does anyone think Clinton would make a good President?


She will be light years ahead of Trump in this regard. Then again, her being measured against a mentally unstable lying bigot does skew the comparison


Right. It doesn't answer whether she'd be good or not. Because she won't. She'll just be the same scent of shitstink we've experienced the past sixteen years. She will be dreadful, and the only way to console yourself is to say "She's not Trump." And while that's the truth, she'd be better than Trump, don't make it out to be any sort of ringing endorsement. Just be honest and say she'll be shitty, but just less shitty than Donald.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I've met lots of Trump supporters, but not a single one who said anything positive about him. When I ask them why they support Trump they all, without exception, start talking about how bad/evil/criminal Clinton is.

My own mother called him "insane" during the primary, yet is still voting for him.

Some people are just living under mountains of denial.

I personally dislike and distrust Clinton, but I will zealously pull the lever for her in the face of Trump.
9 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Does anyone think Clinton would make a good President?


She will be light years ahead of Trump in this regard. Then again, her being measured against a mentally unstable lying bigot does skew the comparison


Right. It doesn't answer whether she'd be good or not. Because she won't. She'll just be the same scent of shitstink we've experienced the past sixteen years. She will be dreadful, and the only way to console yourself is to say "She's not Trump." And while that's the truth, she'd be better than Trump, don't make it out to be any sort of ringing endorsement. Just be honest and say she'll be shitty, but just less shitty than Donald.


Compare 2008 to 2015.
That's the effect of a rational, decent presidency on world opinion (and is a proxy for our political power globally). Obama and Clinton (via Sec State) put spendable political capital in the bank for the U.S. compared to Bush who basically just pissed everyone off the last 4 years of his term (squandering all the huge support after 9/11)

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Does anyone think Clinton would make a good President?
Depends on what you mean, I think she will make a better one then Donny, but that is like saying Geoffrey Darmer was not as bigger mass murder as Hitler.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RedV wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Does anyone think Clinton would make a good President?


I think she will.

I think she has the credentials and experience to do so but not the personal integrity.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
RedV wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Does anyone think Clinton would make a good President?


I think she will.

I think she has the credentials and experience to do so but not the personal integrity.
Pretty much my take on it. I think she will be competent, but no better then most.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
RedV wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Does anyone think Clinton would make a good President?


I think she will.

I think she has the credentials and experience to do so but not the personal integrity.

For the record, Trump IMO crossed the line we must not tolerate early on. I do not care if he's not going to actually act om the evil bigoted garbage spewing out of his mouth. I do not think any sane or moral person can afford to take that chance.

Sadly in spite of all, I expect he'll win because of the people saying "He's not Hillary," plus his insane true believers.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summarizing the responses to the original question, The Donald believes he will be an awesome Presdient, and Meerkat believes it is possible Trump will be a good President, but does not expect it. No one else believes that Trump will be a good President.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Define good president.

He won't be aggressively trying to scale back the federal government, simplify the income tax, legalize drugs or any of the things I'd like to see the federal government (not) do, so no, he won't be by my definition.

However, I don't see him messing up the economy, dealing with foreign leaders or working with Congress in a different manner than our last several Presidents.

So I see him as probably being a mediocre President, while possibly shaking up the status quo which could lead to a good result.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
RedV wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Does anyone think Clinton would make a good President?


I think she will.

I think she has the credentials and experience to do so but not the personal integrity.


I agree about the credentials and experience, but I disagree with you about the integrity. She has been a target for three decades of bile and poo flinging. I don't see where she is meaningfully compromised in her integrity; I think instead it's the sort of intuitive perspective that the constant negative messaging is designed to create.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flamespeak wrote:
Would Trump make a good president? I doubt it. I don't think I will see a good president in my lifetime given the state of the political system in the USA.

Still, it is good to see people point fingers at him and claim 'Racist!' or 'Sexist!' and other buzzwords instead of actual reasons not to vote for the guy to persuade someone to go against him.

For example, if one were to say 'I don't approve of his choices for Supreme Court Justices and feel they would go against my stance in future rulings.' That is a credible stance to take.

To simply state, 'He is a racist.' given how he calls out illegal immigration as something terrible that must be stopped is asinine. Calling out his bullshit slogan of 'build a wall and make Mexico pay for it.' is completely legit to criticize and a fair talking point.

Saying 'He is a sexist.' given his stance on pro-life is also flawed given that it is an opinion shared by a large portion of women in the USA as well. My personal stance is 'pro-abortion' as in, we should talk more people into getting abortions because too many people make shit parents and I have to deal with their fall-out with what I do for a living.

Are there posts I am not seeing because they are hidden from me?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.