Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my second entry into the 2016 Solitaire PnP Game Design Contest!
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1584590/2016-solitaire-prin...

TUG BOAT TRAINER "This is a working title"

Number of Players: Solitaire - 1 player
Game Time: 30 - 60 min
Player age: 12+

Synopsis:
You just started your own TUG BOAT company and you want to make a name for yourself. You've hired two new crews for your two tug boats and they're green and can be. Your job is to pick up contracts to tow in large container ships and dock them in specific ports in specific directions. Since your crew is green there are events that can happen that may prevent your crew from getting the job done. You need to try and dock each ship as fast as possible with the least amount of damage to the container ship and your tug boats.

Tug Boat Trainer is a puzzle type game where you must figure out the best and quickest method to dock the container ship! The game uses simple physics: directional movement using arrows, forces such as push and pull and motor thrust %.

Each time you dock a ship correctly you earn victory points. When you damage a container ship you lose points.

This game is in the IDEA PHASE so I need as much help as I can get with suggestions, comments, and ideas!

Components:
[1] - Game Board
[1] - Container ship token
[2] - Tug Boat tokens
[8] - Direction tokens
[10] – Contract cards
[18] - Thrust % cards

General idea of game play

You pick a contract that shows a container ship docked in 1 of 5 ports. It will show a level and VP conditions. This container ship will enter the right side opening of the main shipping lane and stop power. Your job is to us your two TUG BOATS to maneuver the container ship through the shipping lane, into the correct dock and in the correct direction as shown on the contract card. You will use 1 of 4 arrow direction tokens to show your tug boats movement direction. If your tug boat is pushing the container ship it will not be tied off to the ship and can freely move away from the container at any time. If your tug boat needs to Pull the container ship it needs to be attached with a tow line and to move away from the ship you will need to use an action to remove the tow line.

You need to use THRUST cards to produce forward or reverse thrust to help move the container ship. To help move the ship both tug boats will need to produce at least 100% combined thrust using two thrust cards for each tug boat to help move the container ship in the direction desired. If you can't achieve 100% thrust you will only be able to partially move the ship.

Each turn you control both tug boats by rolling [4] d6 and depending on your roll and what values come up, this will determine if you can move a tug boat or take an action. If you roll certain combinations you will cause an event to occur and/or earn special bonus movements or actions that turn.

Right now I have some initial components created with basic images, some game play ideas but I need to develop the actual game play, the rules, and the mechanics to help make the game fun and challenging!

So if you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know!

Victory conditions:
Each time you dock a container ship in the correction port and in the correct direction you earn VP.

Losing the game:
After completing X number of Contracts the game ends and your score is based on VP points and the least number of turns it took to complete all the contracts. If you end with a negative score you lose the game.

The categories I would like to be entered into:
Best Game by a Returning Designer (a designer that has previously entered the Solo contest)
Best Original Artwork (artwork created specifically for the game, either by the designer or another artist)
Best Graphic Design (focuses on layout, aesthetics, and functionality of components. This category allows both original work and existing public domain/creative commons artwork.)
Most Innovative Mechanic (games in this category should have an original mechanic or combination of mechanics)
Best Rule Book (includes rule clarity, layout, and organization)
Best Easy to Build Game (games that can be built by the average PNP builder in 15 minutes or less)
Volunteer Prize (Only those who participated in the volunteer program will be eligible to vote in this category.)
Thematic/Mechanic Categories
Best Worker Placement Category (Games that involve deciding where to place/spend workers or resources to accomplish goals)
Best Area Control (Games that involve maintaining control of certain areas to gain victory points or benefits.)
Best Puzzle/Abstract (Non-thematic games in which you are trying to to solve a puzzle, make connections, capture pieces, etc)

Here are some images of the game components

I will be posting rules and components soon!

Download files here:
Coming soon!

Video on how to setup and components:
Coming soon!

Video on Game Play:
Coming soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
Check out the 2017 Solo Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I'm glad you've got another game in the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.