tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, these are the rules being used in GW stores as part of their "Suffer Not The Alien To Live" thing. Various GW stores have been posting them to their facebook or similar, so hopefully they shouldn't mind them being available here.

I guess they wanted a way to get more than 2 people involved in games in their stores.

But I actually think the most interesting aspect is the scoring, for both scouts & stealers, during a standard 2-player game, rather than the scouts just getting slaughtered time after time!

Maybe play multiple times, swap sides every game, keep a running tally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Color me skeptical. Five players each choose a Scout. The sixth player gets the Genestealers. On the first turn, one Scout is eliminated (the owning player may not have even moved the Scout). Thanks for playing. This goes on for a few more turns until all Scouts are killed (in ascending order of scrubs first, Heavy Bolter next to last, Sergeant last). There are simply very few choices Scout players can make to moderate the carnage. While keeping score for heroic deeds such as moving off of the starting tile. Or, killing one of the infinite number of Genestealers.

Or, two players play the game numerous times. You ALWAYS lose with the Scouts. Then you switch, and ALWAYS win with the Genestealers. And, the competition is seeing who can lose slowest with the Scouts.

I am familiar with and like the original game. I discovered it here, and tracked down the GW produced PNP pfd. I've made it, played it, and here on BGG, reviewed it (too unbalanced), suggested a fix to balance it (alas, not a perfect fix), and posted rules for alternative settings. The original is fun, but Scouts lose most of the time. That would be fine if Scouts had options and strategies that could increase their odds. They don't. It's dumb luck. I've played my copy with the new version's rules, gleaned from play-through videos, discussions, and the WD124 recaps. I know how it plays. I'm not a hater. And, I get that the good folks at GW who are tasked with promoting the game must put a positive spin on the game. But, trying to spin the game as designed for one side to ALWAYS lose is loony. How many ALWAYS LOSE games do you pull down from the shelf? How often will you play a game you cannot win (or lose)? Color me sceptical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon ike
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
Virgin Islands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Really is this the best they could do for multiplayer rules.
Everyone take a scout. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a point differential or other more nuanced way of determining degrees of success.

I don't like the idea of a point differential as a means of salvaging a horribly one-sided game. Also, it becomes a weird semi-coop thing. And I have no idea what they're trying to do with the GS control- so, you could pick a genestealer in a stupid position where you should hold still rather than engage, or you could pick one likely to score off a kill? Tough choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.