Popular Tags: [View All]
Vesuvius Media
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Effects from events are always resolved by the first player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that changes things and seems to make the game a whole lot more confusing to keep track of. I think pretty much everyone that has played the game has used the first player to put things into play, but events seem like they would effect all players. So now you are saying that we have to keep track of who player 1 is as the events in play only effect them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to keep track who is the first player anyway. It changes from round to round, but I am sure you know that already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael_Olsen wrote:
You have to keep track who is the first player anyway. It changes from round to round, but I am sure you know that already.

Yeah, but most things in this game do not matter as it is co-op.

Generally the only thing being first player does in this game is that you are the one to perform the scanning report and place new tiles. Everything else that happens really doesn't matter.

With this ruling, now they are the only one that is effected by certain events. That makes things a lot more complicated than they should be as certain events now effect everyone as they are permanent (like the Moldy Crow's ability), but certain ones only effect player 1 (the weapons malfunction event).

It is just odd. Every play through that I 've ever seen for the game (including my own) has been done with events effecting all players and the Developer never said anything about it (despite commenting on other aspects of them). It just seems weird and counter intuitive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:

It is just odd. Every play through that I 've ever seen for the game (including my own) has been done with events effecting all players and the Developer never said anything about it (despite commenting on other aspects of them). It just seems weird and counter intuitive

Indeed, very strange. Is this maybe mentioned in the updated rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Michael_Olsen wrote:

Yeah, but most things in this game do not matter as it is co-op.

Generally the only thing being first player does in this game is that you are the one to perform the scanning report and place new tiles. Everything else that happens really doesn't matter.

With this ruling, now they are the only one that is effected by certain events. That makes things a lot more complicated than they should be as certain events now effect everyone as they are permanent (like the Moldy Crow's ability), but certain ones only effect player 1 (the weapons malfunction event).

Uhm, except that the effects are resolved "by" the first player rather than "on" the first player. Noting implies that ONLY the first player is affected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this is what I was getting at. I agree that the rules say that the first player is the one who goes through the phases on their turn. One of those being the reoccurring events. It has always been my understanding that these events effected all players though (and was played that way in every play through that I've seen of the game, including my own which the developer watched and commented on, but didn't mention this). So I assumed that events effect ALL players, not just the 1st player.

This is another one of those grey area rules that I hope gets clarified in the rule book reprint (though I think they have already posted up the pdf files for it).

I really want to like this game, bu the more we play the more odd things come up like this. Things get more and more confusing the more we play instead of getting better. At this point it seems to only be really playable if you pretty much ignore the rule book and just make up your own rules for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Uhm, except that the effects are resolved "by" the first player rather than "on" the first player. Noting implies that ONLY the first player is affected.

This is exactly how I believed it to be played, but the post in this thread from the developer seems to point out that it is played differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don`t see any sense, if e.g. a meteor swarm event card effects the game, only one armade should be effected.

That makes no sense. So like Silverwing, I play it the way that events have influence on all players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Kevorque
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I do not understand how things became so confusing, so let me clarify them:

1. Events affect ALL players.

2. The ORDER in which they are resolved during the Event's Phase, is decided by the First Player. (Rule book p.9 & p.12)

3. Even when you play in Solo mode, you still apply the effects of the events to EACH Armada token. (Rule book p.15)

The above are true for BOTH Events or Boss' Abilities (Rule book p.12 & p.15)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
constantinekevorque wrote:
I do not understand how things became so confusing, so let me clarify them:

1. Events affect ALL players.

2. The ORDER in which they are resolved during the Event's Phase, is decided by the First Player. (Rule book p.9 & p.12)

3. Even when you play in Solo mode, you still apply the effects of the events to EACH Armada token. (Rule book p.15)

The above are true for BOTH Events or Boss' Abilities (Rule book p.12 & p.15)

That was part of the OP's original question and not what you answered in reply to them. That was where the confusion came from. Apparently we have all been playing it correctly then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.