Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am setting up the "Chao Reigns" scenario and find that the bulk of the Soviet forces 'Set Up' says "Set Up Turn 12" ???

Seems odd that most of the Soviet forces don't arrive until Turn 12, which is the games last turn?

None are set up at the beginning and a few come on as reinforcements on turn 6.

Is this a typo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Just reading the rules myself, but as I'm reading it the turns count *down* in OST, so turn 12 is the first turn of a 12 turn scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mackin
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe you count backwards from 12 down to 1 (with the chance of an additional turn at the end). Therefore turn 12 is the first turn.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ahhhh yes, Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Talbot
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Pultorak wrote:
Ahhhh yes, Thanks all

lol, I thought the same thing...

Keith T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the most irritating part of the game and something I complained about from the very start. No reason to count down the turns. I still can't figure out why it was done this way other than to be different. Other than this, I love this game to death.....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bionikbonce wrote:
I believe you count backwards from 12 down to 1 (with the chance of an additional turn at the end). Therefore turn 12 is the first turn.

I'm a backer (awaiting my copy) but haven't looked at the rules at all. Never realized the turns count backwards. It's doubly weird that it does that given an extra turn is a possibility. Hopefully everything else is great about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
wsmithjr wrote:
bionikbonce wrote:

I'm a backer (awaiting my copy) but haven't looked at the rules at all. Never realized the turns count backwards. It's doubly weird that it does that given an extra turn is a possibility. Hopefully everything else is great about it.

Just a wee bit different really. I like it and I like the possibility of scenario continuation. But hey, that's just me. What do I know about tactical wargaming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nht
United States
Detroit
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wsmithjr wrote:
bionikbonce wrote:

I'm not sure whether there's any real reason except for designer preference to have the turns count down rather than up. But once you've grokked it, it's not a big deal.

But having some uncertainty about when the scenario will actually end isn't exactly unheard of. Combat Commander, for example, doesn't always end on sudden death. Scenarios can keep going for awhile, depending on the cards. I think adding a similar mechanic to Old School Tactical was a good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes 1 extra turn is enough to win or lose the fight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mean to suggest that I thought the uncertain ending of the scenario was bad. Just that (personally) I thought it odd given that you are now playing Turn 0 if that happens. Doesn't really matter obviously; just seems odd to me. Really looking forward to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.