6 Posts

Small World» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Smith
msg tools
Hello,

Last night, I played Smallworld with my friends, and we had some problems with conquering new regions.

1: First time, we moved our race piles as much as we could, so everyone just ran through gameboard, conquering a lot of regions and leaving trail od single tiles, until they went out. So race went extinct next turn. We felt that that's not very fun, and maybe we interpret rules wrong.

2: Second time, we played that every tile can move once per turn, so everyone was trying to spread their forces. I was much better, as we kept our race for 2-4 turns, and regrouping was finally useful. But we're still not sure if this is right way to move around gameboard.

Can someone tell me how it works? I just can't find clear answer in rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean about "moving", but here's my go at explaining conquests (ignoring special race rules and exceptions).

To attack a region, you need 2 race tokens, plus 1 for every enemy or mountain in that area. So, with ten starting race tokens, I could take over the following four areas without rolling the reinforcement die:

Empty region. (2 tokens)
Region with 1 enemy. (3 tokens)
Region with a mountain. (3 tokens)
Empty region. (2 tokens)

Of course, each of those regions needs to be adjacent to one I have already conquered, and the tokens used to conquer it need to stay in the region until I "redeploy" at the end of my turn.

I then have ten tokens spread across four regions, which I can rearrange in to stacks as large/small as I want.

On my next turn, I would usually pick up every token but one in each area to continue my conquest. If I still owned all of these areas, I would collect 6 of the 10 race tokens, leaving 1 in each area. I can then continue conquering with these 6 tokens.

Does it make a little more sense now? Note, depending on the race/ability combination, you'll find on average you use the same race two to three times before going in to decline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless a power gives you some special ability, the race tokens can only move once.

From page 4 of the rulebook:

Upon conquering a Region, the player must deploy the Race
tokens he used to conquer this Region inside its borders on
the map. These tokens must remain in this Region until the
player reorganizes his troops at the end of this turn (see Troop
Redeployment, p. 5).

Edit: What Mathew said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
I stole this from another thread,

He

Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Explains it better than me:

evnzro wrote:
Neither, actually. When you want to start conquering surrounding regions, you leave one unit/token on each of the regions that you currently occupy and pick up the rest into your hand, and use those to attack.

For instance, let's say you control three adjacent regions: a farmland, a forest, and a swamp. And on each of those you have three race tokens, for a total of nine. When you want to conquer another region, you'll take six of those tokens off the board and into your hand (leaving three behind, one on each of the regions you control), and then you'd use those six in your hand to conquer another region.

Let's say the first adjacent space you attack is empty, so you only need two tokens. You put two down in the new region and now you have four left in your hand to use for conquering. The next region has an enemy token in it, so you need three of your units to conquer it. This leaves you with one race token left in your hand, which you can use to either attempt to conquer another region (in which you'll have to roll the Reinforcement die) or you can just keep that unit in hand until you redeploy your troops.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Technically, you don't have to leave any units in the regions you already occupy when you want to start conquering. If you control three regions, and have nine guys on the board (three in each), you could pick up seven, eight, or even all nine (!) and then use those tokens to attack, BUT if you don't leave at least one unit in a region you control, you lose that region.

P.P.S. Before anyone else says it, if you did pick up all of your troops before attempting to conquer other regions, you would no longer have any regions left under your control and thus would no longer be able to attack any "adjacent" regions. If you pick up all of your troops from the board, you must re-enter the map by conquering a region on the edge (just like at the beginning of the game).

Edit: Dang, ninja. And much more concisely, too. Haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokens don't move across the game board. They only move from your hand to the region they conquer.
I suggest watching a "how its played" video because it sounds like you are treating this like Risk or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
Thank you, it's all clear now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.