Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever discovered a favorite band/song from a 30 second clip in the background of a TV commercial or TV show? It seems to happen to me all the time. Here are some of my favorites:

"Hurt Me" by The Sounds is one of my all-time favorite songs/bands that I discovered from the Geico Caveman commercial.

I'm a huge fan of 80s New Wave and Synthpop, but I never heard of Strange Advance until I heard a clip of their music on the cancelled-too-early Almost Human TV show.

I discovered "Teddy Bear" by Cobrastyle from this Chuck episode, but I have since heard it in several other TV shows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an old commercial here for Palace Playland, an amusement park at Old Orchard Beach, that used the end of this song:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daughter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm embarrassed to say I didn't really listen to Nick Drake until the Pink Moon VW commercial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
That commercial was supposed to be The Church's "Under the Milky Way"*...it got recut at the very last minute, after the producer was smoking a fatty, watching the edits, and listening to Nick Drake on the night before it was due to be presented. There's a longer story that can be googled.

That commercial was pretty much responsible for the resurgence in interest in Nick Drake, and it only happened by accident.

* Watch the commercial with that in mind. It all works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
From Breaking Bad, I think (it could have been Orange is the New Black)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
fnord23 wrote:
That commercial was supposed to be The Church's "Under the Milky Way"*...it got recut at the very last minute, after the producer was smoking a fatty, watching the edits, and listening to Nick Drake on the night before it was due to be presented. There's a longer story that can be googled.

That commercial was pretty much responsible for the resurgence in interest in Nick Drake, and it only happened by accident.

* Watch the commercial with that in mind. It all works.

I wonder if there is a similar story about getting Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" (about heroin use and many other debaucheries) in that cruise line commercial. Cracked me up every time I saw it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

This is used as the theme for Portlandia. Love it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
This was used for commercials and the trailer for a History Channel documentary/film about the Battle of Gettysburg. The History Channel hyped the film to the rafters but the filmed seriously sucked (Every civil war forum I participate in had threads on how bad it was). The song however is excellent. Much better than the film was and I have it on my iPod in the car.

Here is the excellent trailer/commercial and then the full song music video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I didn't discover them through this, but I was very pleased (and surprised) to hear Russian Circles' "Mladek" on this NBC sorts commercial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
The one that comes to mind is Goldfrapp's Ooh La La used in this iPhone ad:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
I didn't discover them through this, but I was very pleased (and surprised) to hear Russian Circles' "Mladek" on this NBC sorts commercial.

I recently had the same experience. I was very surprised to hear a super small clip of Le Tigre's "Deceptacon" in Zootopia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:
I'm embarrassed to say I didn't really listen to Nick Drake until the Pink Moon VW commercial.

My entry as well. I had always heard of him due to Elliott Smith getting compared to him, but the commercial convinced me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes a show will give me new appreciation for a song I already had. One example is when Beach Comber by Real Estate popped up in an episode of How I Met Your Mother. I thought the album was ok, but after that episode planted the song in my brain, I oistened to it endoessly. It's now one of my favorites.

What's funny is the song's lyrics have nothing to do with the episode. I imagine the music coordinator liked it and wanted to put it on the air somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mrbeankc wrote:
This was used for commercials and the trailer...

In case you aren't aware, this is a cover of a classic Kate Bush song:

The Placebo version is definitely more "Sisysphus" than "Rocky on the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum" so I can see why it would be appropriate for the Gettysburg ad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
shumyum wrote:

I wonder if there is a similar story about getting Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" (about heroin use and many other debaucheries) in that cruise line commercial. Cracked me up every time I saw it.

Heh. I felt the same inappropriateness when the campaign for PS4 using Perfect Day kicked off the *day* after Lou Reed died (which doubled down on the poor taste of it all).

Also, Volkswagen using Psychic TV's Roman P. was a similar WTF moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leslie Feist

fan since then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
shumyum wrote:

Heh. I felt the same inappropriateness when the campaign for PS4 using Perfect Day kicked off the *day* after Lou Reed died (which doubled down on the poor taste of it all).

McDonald's used New Slang by The Shins, despite one lyric touting "the dirt in your fries".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a long time ago, but the Buffy theme got me interested in Nerf Herder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an iPod commercial back in the day that got me interested in The Ting Tings. Love that band and my iPhone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:

Ha! No shit? Must have missed that one. Guess all those piercings and gender reassignment ops don't come cheap...what next? "Terminus" advertising baby milk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris & Tad, "Sunshine Pig" for Mini Cooper. Chris is Chris Ballew of "Presidents of the United States of America" (Peaches, Lump...)

I ended up buying the full album ("Hand Me That Door") back before it was on all the streaming sites.

Ad:

Full Song:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
Many!

A creepy, intense song on The Walking Dead got me listening to Ben Howard, who is one of my favorites these days. Amazing songwriter & band.

Theme song to Justified got me interested in GanstaGrass. While I don't like the Gangsta part, I did find Rench, which is a weird combination of old-time bluegrass and modern beats.
Also found Ryan Bingham through that search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This by Aqualung from a VW advert.

In terms of shows I've been listening to Mountain Goats a fair bit after this closer on a walking dead episode. I won't post the footage itself in case of slight spoiler risk, but here's a vid.

And a real favourite of mine are The Veils. They have a new album coming and a short world tour. First I heard of them was the end song in the final scene and into the credits of the execellent movie Mr Brooks.

I hope none of that breaches the criteria. If so let me know and I'll deleteo rapido!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.