Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell what is meant exactly by 3.1.2 under Units

Quote:
Any number of Triremes may be built in Seas adjacent to a Controlling Player's Province that is not occupied by opponent Units.

Ok... That seems clear enough, but the very next sentence seems off (or at least misplaced)?

Quote:
However, the Sea may be occupied by opponent Triremes.

Is this just reminding us that Triremes can co-exist without battle, or is it trying to make an exception for Triremes as a subset of the term Unit?

The first scenario seems odd because that statement seems inapplicable to building units. Triremes can co-exist, but they can only get to the same zones through movement. According to the first rule quote you cannot build them if an opponent occupies the zone.

The second scenario also seems odd because you cannot build legions or fortresses in sea zones, so why this exception?

Or is it something I am not seeing entirely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
It just clicked.... blush

The first quote is referring to your land/province being occupied, not the sea zone.

4.2.1 wrote:
If at the end of a round, the Province is occupied by more than one player's Legions and/or fortresses, it remains At War. A Province 'At War' continues to provide income for its Controlling Player, but he may not build new Units or Buildings in it or adjacent Seas (unless it is the player's Capital City Province).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Qunell
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that was very confusing to us too. The only type of unit that can be in a sea space is a trireme which, according to the first sentence, would not allow an opponent to build a trireme there. The second sentence then seems to contradict that.

We said we would play that you can build a trireme in a space occupied by opponent triremes. I think that is what is intended but is poorly worded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my gameā€¦ when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any number of Triremes may be built in Seas adjacent to: (a Controlling Player's Province that is not occupied by opponent Units).

Yes it confused me on first read too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Qunell
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a player cannot build a trireme in a sea space occupied by an opponents trireme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
You can, since triremes can co-exist with the enemy in the same sea area. You cannot build a trireme in a sea area next to one of your provinces that is enemy occupied. That's what the first sentence of the rule says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that Seas (sea spaces) are not Provinces (land spaces). The first sentence says that you can not use a Province that has enemy land units in to build a trireme. The second sentence says that you can build a trireme if there is an enemy trireme in the sea you are building into.

So basically, choose a province you control that does not have enemy land units, then you can build a trireme in any sea adjacent to that province, even if there are enemy triremes in the sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.