United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

I am loving this game so far.

I'm playing the fourth firefight, and kicking some major butt if I do say so myself.

Here are a few questions I had:

1. First, mission specific
1.a. I interpreted the rules for when a supply truck enters to mean it immediately moved 3 hexes upon being placed. Was this right? As it turned out, no trucks made it off the map, but I might have been moving them too quickly all the same.

1.b. this happened more than once, where I had a single RE counter on the map, and the mission track prompted me to add a Soviet rifle and place RE. When I did this, I not only placed an RE and added a rifle squad, but also followed the procedure for "place RE" - that is, I then placed an additional RE, and added a "No enemy" counter to the draw pile. I figured this was more entertaining, since I wound up with 2 riflemen and a "no enemy" for 3 REs, instead of 2 rifleman for 2 RES. Was I correct to do this?

1.c. I had a unit in H11 that was used to place a new RE. The die roll was a 4, so the RE was placed in G09 because there was an existing Russian unit in the higher DM F10. Meanwhile, it was automatically revealed for being in the open, and whaddya know, it was a landmine. Did I follow this procedure correctly?

2. Card questions

This AI will fire into F11, yes? Even though the Russian mmg is also there.

This was the first turn of a new round. So, I take it "just acted" doesn't qualify? Therefore, the AI moves.

My actual question will assume that this was NOT the start of a round. The last unit to take a turn moved into the forest below, and is out of LOS (not an eligible fire target.)

Now I understand the rules may have been changed since my rulebook, but I show on page 5 "the AI will always take the action against its closest target." And, just above that "Closest and farthest specify which AI will take the action, not which Target they will take the action against."

As I understand, that first sentence has been removed. But the second sentence is the same. I really like this rule as is, with neither sentence removed, because it creates the possibility for an "unlikely" unit to activate and fire/move.

If the "the AI will always take the action against its closest target" sentence is removed, then it suggests the AI will try to fire at the unit that just moved, and is out of LOS. So, the AI does not fire, because it can't, and moves instead.

And if that sentence is removed, and let's say the last unit to move IS in LOS, does the AI simply fire according to the usual priority rules (5.2)?

I hope this makes sense... thank you for your help!

Christopher

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Christopher,
Kris2476 wrote:
1. First, mission specific
1.a. I interpreted the rules for when a supply truck enters to mean it immediately moved 3 hexes upon being placed. Was this right? As it turned out, no trucks made it off the map, but I might have been moving them too quickly all the same.

Yep, that's right. The Mission rules state that "...and will immediately move along the road...", so you place them and immediately move them three hexes along the road.
Quote:
1.b. this happened more than once, where I had a single RE counter on the map, and the mission track prompted me to add a Soviet rifle and place RE. When I did this, I not only placed an RE and added a rifle squad, but also followed the procedure for "place RE" - that is, I then placed an additional RE, and added a "No enemy" counter to the draw pile. I figured this was more entertaining, since I wound up with 2 riflemen and a "no enemy" for 3 REs, instead of 2 rifleman for 2 RES. Was I correct to do this?

I don't think this is correct. You follow the Special Rules for "Place RE" only when you hit the Mission Track squares with "Place RE". The Special Rules are in place to provide additional information for specific Mission Track squares, as indicated by the label in the Special Rule (which corresponds to a label on the Mission Track). So you would only place a single RE, and you would add a single rifle into the cup.
Quote:
1.c. I had a unit in H11 that was used to place a new RE. The die roll was a 4, so the RE was placed in G09 because there was an existing Russian unit in the higher DM F10. Meanwhile, it was automatically revealed for being in the open, and whaddya know, it was a landmine. Did I follow this procedure correctly?

Hmm, fi you have a unit in H11, and you're asked to place a new RE in direction of dice roll 4, it would end up in G09 anyway, since the RE is placed two spaces from the chosen AI in direction of the dice roll? In any case, it's very possible for a RE to be revealed the moment it is placed, so all other things being equal, that's what would happen
Quote:
2. Card questions
This AI will fire into F11, yes? Even though the Russian mmg is also there.

It's difficult to say from this image, but I'm assuming there's a SPENT Russian MMG on F11 under the Spent Pioneers unit? From this picture, the Rumored Enemy would indeed fire into the hex where the AI and Unit are in Close Combat.
Quote:
This was the first turn of a new round. So, I take it "just acted" doesn't qualify? Therefore, the AI moves.

This is ambiguous, as the rules simply state that "A Unit that just took an action on the Player's last turn...". So a literal reading would mean that a Unit did "just act", and thus you'd follow the Tactical Order in question.
Quote:
My actual question will assume that this was NOT the start of a round. The last unit to take a turn moved into the forest below, and is out of LOS (not an eligible fire target.)

Now I understand the rules may have been changed since my rulebook, but I show on page 5 "the AI will always take the action against its closest target." And, just above that "Closest and farthest specify which AI will take the action, not which Target they will take the action against."

As I understand, that first sentence has been removed. But the second sentence is the same. I really like this rule as is, with neither sentence removed, because it creates the possibility for an "unlikely" unit to activate and fire/move.

If the "the AI will always take the action against its closest target" sentence is removed, then it suggests the AI will try to fire at the unit that just moved, and is out of LOS. So, the AI does not fire, because it can't, and moves instead.

And if that sentence is removed, and let's say the last unit to move IS in LOS, does the AI simply fire according to the usual priority rules (5.2)?

The first sentence was removed from the latest rules, because it is now explicitly stated in 5.01 that Closest To and Farthest From are always measured from each AI's closest Target. So basic eligibility rules apply. In this case, you'd look for all the AI that could perform the command against the Unit that just acted. If there are none, you skip the order as each order requires an eligible AI that can perform the command. If there are multiple eligible AI, you look for the one that is closest to the Unit that just acted.

So assuming the image is the complete map state, you'd skip the Fire order as the Unit that just acted can't be fired on by any AI. Instead, you'd take the next order which is the "Move Towards", and move the only AI on the map towards the control marker (Mission Objective).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think this is correct. You follow the Special Rules for "Place RE" only when you hit the Mission Track squares with "Place RE". The Special Rules are in place to provide additional information for specific Mission Track squares, as indicated by the label in the Special Rule (which corresponds to a label on the Mission Track). So you would only place a single RE, and you would add a single rifle into the cup.

You would place a "No Enemy" counter into the cup (not a rifle) and then place a single new RE according to the special rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis, the question was about hitting the "Reinforcements" square in the Mission Track, and whether or not to follow the rule for "Place RE" at the same time.
Quote:
1.b. this happened more than once, where I had a single RE counter on the map, and the mission track prompted me to add a Soviet rifle and place RE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.