GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I updated you guys. The reality is I just got back to focusing on Mr. President this week. I have a new playtest map (I'm trying to attach it, if BGG lets me) from Terry Leeds that will make testing (and a VASSAL module) easier (thanks Terry!).

So in terms of update work I'm made some slight changes to cards and counters this week, but most of the work has been to improve the integrated sequence of the rounds. I'm trying to attach a couple more pics - one to show you the general structure of a round (two months) sequence and another showing the various chits involved in the process.

Here's essentially how it works. The red chits represent the problems the game throws at the you. These all go in a cup at the start of a round. The blue chits represent activations that you get to choose. They don't go in a cup; they sit on the Round Sequence sheet in a holding area (not shown).

So what happens is you choose one blue chit to start the round (think of this as the area where your pre-planning allows you to "move first" as it were. Each blue chit allows you do use some of your executive assets in some manner either domestically or around the world. When you finish with your blue chit, you then draw a red chit and do whatever that chit indicates (drawing Crisis cards, activating Russia or China, or performing the sequence on the Terror Acts or War Progress cards, etc). After you finish, if the drawn chit has a "+" on it, then you draw another and do whatever process it indicates. Same for a possible third "enemy" action if the 2nd chit also has a "+" on it.

Then it's back to your turn to act. You choose one blue chit and perform whatever action it allows. When finished, if you wish to spend a Presidential Action Point to choose another chit, you may; otherwise your action is complete and it's back to drawing red chits. As you get further into the sequence and more engaged in the action, you have more opportunities to act/react, at a cost in Presidential APs. This alternating activations continues until you read the end of the Round Sequence, when you reset, place all the chits with * or ** in a holding box to be held until Round 4 when they can be used again, and start a new round.

I'm still playing with this to get the mix I want, both in terms of actions (debating for example, whether I want you to be able to get the last play in a round as well as the first - something I'm testing) and of what's allowed by each blue/red chit.

But so far I am REALLY REALLY happy that this is a much better, more engaging, and way more integrated sequence than the old "draw three crisis cards" then go through all your actions in top-down sequence approach. You just can't predict what's coming next this way, but because it's only a chit draw for one side, the player still has control over HIS planning and actions.

Anyway, that's where that part of the game stands for now. So far, the feedback from limited testing has been terrific. I'm looking forward to getting more opinions and experience as we play the game in Tempe next week.

Last thing is we're now over 1,020 P500 orders. Wow! Thanks so much, guys, for your support! I can't wait to finish the design and get Mr. President onto your game tables.

Enjoy the games!

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The board looks awesome.

If the counters are pure digital art, why does the image have so many artifacts (imperfect rectangles, differently colored/width outlines, blue bleeding into red area)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim!

LoL - yeah they're pretty bad, aren't they? :-) That's because the counters and the Round Sequence are currently just my homebrew "Gene stinks at graphics" test counters - nothing professionally done yet from GMT artists. I just need these for testing purposes for now, as I'll probably make several changes before I get to a final version.

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
United States
Edenton
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the board design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing little of how the rounds actually play out, but taking nite of whether you want the player to go last in debates, you may want to just consider the legal rule that the party bearing the burden of proof gets the final argument. So if here are some debates started by the AI, and some debates that are started by the player, then perhaps the one that initiated the debate should have last say? Just a thought.

Regardless what you do, this game is looking to be a humdinger. Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT Games wrote:
Hi everyone!

Howdy back!

The "round" is about 2 months- so how many round make up a turn or a game? Not wanting to get too far off track, so "no comment" is an acceptable answer...

What is the size of the board? It's looking a little "large" but I have no scale for reference. I'm expecting this to be my first GMT game.wow

And just because I am- any testing for color blindness? I'm partly red-green colorblind...

(Apologies if I've missed this anywhere...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
govmiller wrote:
GMT Games wrote:
Hi everyone!

Howdy back!

The "round" is about 2 months- so how many round make up a turn or a game? Not wanting to get too far off track, so "no comment" is an acceptable answer...

What is the size of the board? It's looking a little "large" but I have no scale for reference. I'm expecting this to be my first GMT game.wow

And just because I am- any testing for color blindness? I'm partly red-green colorblind...

(Apologies if I've missed this anywhere...)

Hi Eric!

There are 4 Turns in a game - 6 Rounds (1 year) per turn. I'll have options for a 2nd term (4 more turns), but haven't tested any of those yet - still getting the various game systems tweaked and tested before we move to that.

The board will be mounted, and will be our standard 22 x 34" board, like Twilight Struggle and many of the COIN games.

And yes, we'll absolutely be testing with some color-blind players. We want everyone to be able to enjoy this without difficulty.

I hope this is helpful.

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I find it quite difficult to draw random chits from a cup. They are difficult to randomize, and I occasionally sweep the cup onto the floor.

It's probably easier when it is a solo game, but will it be possible to do something about it, such as, use a random table, or with an extra deck of cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
That board does look fantastic - just the sort of thing that invites you to pull up a chair and get stuck in. It also gives the impression of "control" - which sounds perfect for the theme. I really like the sound of the push-your-luck mechanism, lots of fun solo.

Good stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kilcommons
msg tools
Could be wrong but are the military chits just those 7 for the whole game to be used across the 8 regions? If so that definitely is an interesting situation as it really forces you to spread those resources around in a much more deliberate and carefully thought out manner (reminds me somewhat of only having 15 troop cubes in Labyrinth to use and having to judiciously deploy them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mkilc72 wrote:
Could be wrong but are the military chits just those 7 for the whole game to be used across the 8 regions? If so that definitely is an interesting situation as it really forces you to spread those resources around in a much more deliberate and carefully thought out manner (reminds me somewhat of only having 15 troop cubes in Labyrinth to use and having to judiciously deploy them)

Those are the seven TYPES of chits, Mike. You have 5 intel, 5 SoF, generally 3 or four of the rest - 6 carriers (4 available at start).

Still, you do have choices to make, especially if you have wars in several regions (and you do see the value of those carrier battle groups that can (fairly) easily apply their combat power to several regions very quickly.

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hokuto_su wrote:
Personally, I find it quite difficult to draw random chits from a cup. They are difficult to randomize, and I occasionally sweep the cup onto the floor.

It's probably easier when it is a solo game, but will it be possible to do something about it, such as, use a random table, or with an extra deck of cards?

I hadn't really thought about that, Ronald. But I'll work on a backup method. Thanks!

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT Games wrote:

Hi Eric!

There are 4 Turns in a game - 6 Rounds (1 year) per turn. I'll have options for a 2nd term (4 more turns), but haven't tested any of those yet - still getting the various game systems tweaked and tested before we move to that.

The board will be mounted, and will be our standard 22 x 34" board, like Twilight Struggle and many of the COIN games.

And yes, we'll absolutely be testing with some color-blind players. We want everyone to be able to enjoy this without difficulty.

I hope this is helpful.

Gene

Yes, quite helpful! Thanks!

As you explore that next set of turns (the 2nd term) consider some way to throw re-election events into the mix. But those would only really need to come out near the end of turn 3 and all of turn 4. The last round of turn 4 you should know if that is the last turn of the game, or you have been re-elected to another 4 turns. That might be difficult under a chit-pull system where I would have to add some chits to the mix, then remove them at the start of turn 5- IF I get re-elected!

I think the "logical" way to handle that is to have all the chits in the mix from the start of the game. Maybe the election chits are a different color- if those are pulled in an early round, they are simply set aside and another chit is drawn. They are a class of "domestic" issue anyway. (Having re-election events would give the player a way to "promise" some things to happen during their second turn. Might affect win conditions!)

Re-election might be an optional/advanced rule anyway. Just play a straight-up 4 turn game and extend it another 4 turns if you like. Make re-election an "in-game expansion" if you want a marketing angle. (But looking at the orders you cited, I don't think you need any marketing gimmicks!)

Anyway, more stuff to think about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a wild idea: now that UK referendum is done, will there be a Mr President volume 2 featuring UK and any possibility when they could be linked up as a multiplayer game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hokuto_su wrote:
Just a wild idea: now that UK referendum is done, will there be a Mr President volume 2 featuring UK and any possibility when they could be linked up as a multiplayer game?

I do have some other games planned, Ronald, both with historical Presidents and for non-US leaders. But honestly, right now I'm just trying to get the first game done right. Once that's ready, we'll shift to looking at other titles (Teddy Roosevelt looks to be the 2nd game, but after that it's still pretty wide open).

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geromino Pares
msg tools
mbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:
That board does look fantastic - just the sort of thing that invites you to pull up a chair and get stuck in. It also gives the impression of "control" - which sounds perfect for the theme. I really like the sound of the push-your-luck mechanism, lots of fun solo.

Good stuff!

I agree on this one, chit drawing is meh... A card system would be great...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love chit drawing--it's exciting shaking the cup and drawing the chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
pares101 wrote:
ricky2002 wrote:

Good stuff!

I agree on this one, chit drawing is meh... A card system would be great...

Cards also have more room for info, which means less looking up rules/charts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Argento
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT Games wrote:
I'll have options for a 2nd term (4 more turns), but haven't tested any of those yet - still getting the various game systems tweaked and tested before we move to that.

A second term involves elections mechanics/game?

Thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linus Glenhaber
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any expected time that it will be on VASSAL for playtesting?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Bjornis
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nice! This looks like superfun! When is it out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the last monthly email from GMT, Q2 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.