Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
OLMTWG, some support for user assigned linear priorities
Added some level of support for priorities, as well as address some usability issues.

I'll try to post full details of the changes at some point but here's a quick summary:

* the "add" in step 3 is now a popup layer so that it doesn't affect the layout of the main page.
* the "add" popup is also now two columns instead of one if you have more than 8 items, and an extra column (or two) for your pseudo (dummy) items
* the "add" popup also now has a text field labeled "Optional value" for your priority value for the item being added (more info below)
* I removed the "users rated" column since I felt it wasn't useful and in an effort to reduce the size of the web page. Made lots of other small changes that hopefully aren't noticeable to also reduce page size.

* in step 4 if you're browser supports it (Opera doesn't, Firefox does) the table's TBODY will have it's own scroll bar(s) with the table header fixed.
* step 4 also has an unlabled text box for each of your wants under the "Game" column. You can also enter/edit priorities here.
* step 4 also now sorts the table 1st for all items you've entered a priority (value) from highest to lowest, then secondary, etc sorted by the regular way (number of your items checked for each item, then by BGG rating)

* The summary and official format (step 5) sorts the same way using 1st the user assigned priority values.

Note: priorities are numeric arbitrary values that are only meaningful to you. Ie. it doesn't matter if you use monetary values, a scale from 1 to 10, 1 to 100, 0 to 9999, etc.

edit: forgot one more change, step 4, the box that displays the item's info when you click on the item number (or your own item names in the header) when you click on it the 1st time before fixed in the browsers window (so it won't scroll off the page). Click on the "[X]" to hide the box (it will show up again when you click an item number again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron G
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Math Trade Want List Generator - T1.0
Wow... It sounds like magic!

Thank for keeping this going and the updates Jeff. It sure as hell makes my math trade life a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may already have done this, but you didn't mention it so I figured I'd check. It would be handy if the tool enforced the upper limit on priorities allowed by TradeMaximizer. I can't recall what that limit is, but I know there is one, which Chris has mentioned in a previous thread. I'm sure Chris could tell you, if it isn't documented in an easy-to-find place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyfrgi wrote:
You may already have done this, but you didn't mention it so I figured I'd check. It would be handy if the tool enforced the upper limit on priorities allowed by TradeMaximizer. I can't recall what that limit is, but I know there is one, which Chris has mentioned in a previous thread. I'm sure Chris could tell you, if it isn't documented in an easy-to-find place.
Didn't even know there was an upper limit. However as currently implemented it doesn't matter as the values (priorirites) users give in the tool only control the order of the want lists (both displayed in step 4 and the lists generated in step 5 and the summary). At least it was my understanding linear priorities were simple order. The values aren't written into the generated want lists themselves.

Maybe I shouldn't have refered to the values as priorities above as the values aren't the actual priorority values but simply control sorting (ordering) of want's and it's TradeMaximizer will assign the appropriate priorities (1 2 3 ... if linear, 1 2 4 8 if ... etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
dyfrgi wrote:

There is no upper limit, there is a value that Chris uses for the distributed priorities (whatever that was called). It is a purely internal value.

Currently trademaximizer does not allow for specifying the want value of each item. Now, I would like that added, due to the capabilities of want list generators like JeffyJeff's tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Maybe I shouldn't have refered to the values as priorities above as the values aren't the actual priorority values but simply control sorting (ordering) of want's and it's TradeMaximizer will assign the appropriate priorities (1 2 3 ... if linear, 1 2 4 8 if ... etc)

An example...

Let's say you you are offering Pillars of the Earth, and your want lists for that is Caylus, Power Grid and Imperial. And the "values" you assigned to each are:

Caylus = 27
Power Grid = 31
Imperial = 35

The generated want list (using hypothetical lot names) will be:

(yourusername) Pillars : Imperial PGrid Caylus

as such, with linear priorities in TradeMaximizer Imperial will be 1, Pgrid 2, and Caylus 3.

It the math trade moerator was using square priorities then TM would assign Imperial a priority of 1, PGrid 4, and Caylus 9.

And similiarily for other types of TM prioroties (see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/TradeMaximizer#toc4).

One thing that is missing from the OLWLGE is being able to have it generate added semi-colons in want lists (see TM's wiki page above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Okasaki
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regai wrote:

Currently trademaximizer does not allow for specifying the want value of each item. Now, I would like that added, due to the capabilities of want list generators like JeffyJeff's tool.

I have no problem adding that. It probably doesn't make any sense for human-generated want lists, but it's fine for computer-generated lists.

I would probably make it possible to specify the rank rather than priority. The two are equal for linear priorities but may be different under other schemes. For example, in squared priorities, priority = rank*rank. Manual ranks probably don't mix well with scaled priorities, but that's a small factor.

The following is messed up, see below.

Two possibilities for syntax: itemname{rank} or itemname@rank. For example,

(cokasaki) 001-PUE : 002-CAY{15} 003-TIG{37} 004-ELG{900}

or

(cokasaki) 001-PUE : 002-CAY@15 003-TIG@37 004-ELG@900

Either way, the annotation should probably be optional. Items without an annotation would continue from the previous rank in the usual way. For example, in

(cokasaki) 001-PUE : 002-CAY@15 003-TIG ; 004-ELG

T&E would get priority 16 and El Grande would get priority 26 (assuming linear priorities, and the default values of SMALL-STEP and BIG-STEP).

Now, what you can't see in the above examples are some annotations written in curly braces, because the BGG display software appears to eat those. Which I suppose makes the choice between the two syntaxes easy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris, you may want to move the discussion over to your thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/196689 where it's likely to get better exposure to your target audience, and the discussion won't be burried under a thread for the OLWLG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you are cracking the code open...
Can you add a feature to step 3 that will allow for a 2-tier (or maybe a 3-tier) sort? I'd like to be able to have the primary sort (the stuff at the very top) be things that are on my want list (which you have already color-coded-thanks). And the secondary sort be either the rating or the name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoamDog wrote:
Can you add a feature to step 3 that will allow for a 2-tier (or maybe a 3-tier) sort? I'd like to be able to have the primary sort (the stuff at the very top) be things that are on my want list (which you have already color-coded-thanks). And the secondary sort be either the rating or the name.
The current sorting links (in the header row) don't really do the actual sorting, they just rearrange the rows... the sorting is actually done on the server and the sort order for each one is written into the generated web page. As such, multi-tiered sorts as currently implemented wouldn't scale as each combination would need to be generated.

What's more likely to happen is that there will be an option so that you can restrict the entire view to only those items that contain games on your want or wishlist. Then when you change the sort order, it will just resort what's there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OLWLGE new feature; statistics
On the OLWLGE home page, http://olwlg.activityclub.org/

You'll now see a "statisics" link for each math trade. It contains a list of how many copies of each game are in the math trade (main items only, doesn't look at sweeteners), how many items each user has in the math trade, and a couple other minor stats.

I also started work on another new feature, but no time table for when I'll be able to integrate it into the tool. If folks look at the real geeklist they may have noticed I added the bulk (25 or so) in under a minute. That's because I didn't add them by hand, but used data for my untraded items from the last math trade and wrote some code to bulk add them. It does have the same problem the OLWLGE has in that BGG's XML API doesn't give the imageid associated with each geeklist item, so the default image is used for each game, and then I had to go in and edit those items where the default wasn't showing the version I was trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would help.

JeffyJeff wrote:
RoamDog wrote:
The current sorting links (in the header row) don't really do the actual sorting, they just rearrange the rows... the sorting is actually done on the server and the sort order for each one is written into the generated web page. As such, multi-tiered sorts as currently implemented wouldn't scale as each combination would need to be generated.

What's more likely to happen is that there will be an option so that you can restrict the entire view to only those items that contain games on your want or wishlist. Then when you change the sort order, it will just resort what's there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like.
I thought about trying some similar (not coding something similar but using a BGG feature), but your approach is probably waaaaaaaaaaaaay better. It is possible to add an entire geeklist to the MT but doing so does not expand the added geeklist into individual entries which is really what would be needed.
I'd love to maintain a geeklist that I could bulk add to the MathTrade as individual items (which, if I understand you correctly, is what you are going to provide).

JeffyJeff wrote:
On the OLWLGE home page, http://activityclub.org/bgg/mathtrade.cgi

You'll now see a "statisics" link for each math trade. It contains a list of how many copies of each game are in the math trade (main items only, doesn't look at sweeteners), how many items each user has in the math trade, and a couple other minor stats.

I also started work on another new feature, but no time table for when I'll be able to integrate it into the tool. If folks look at the real geeklist they may have noticed I added the bulk (25 or so) in under a minute. That's because I didn't add them by hand, but used data for my untraded items from the last math trade and wrote some code to bulk add them. It does have the same problem the OLWLGE has in that BGG's XML API doesn't give the imageid associated with each geeklist item, so the default image is used for each game, and then I had to go in and edit those items where the default wasn't showing the version I was trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: OLWLG new feature; item images!
Aldie has added the imageid for each geeklist item to the XML returned from the BGG XML API!

So now in step 3 if you see the photo icon to the left of the main game name (the same icon used for images users put in the body of their comment/item description) you can click on it to see the thumbnail image the user had choosen.

If there is no icon there, it's because the user didn't explicitly select an image, and is letting BGG use the default. I will probably add in the display of the default image (that is available from the BGG XML "GAME" api), but somehow make sure it's differentiated .... as if the user didn't explicitly choose the image the default "representative" image may not accurately reflect the version/edition/etc of the game they are offering. In fact on BGG each user can override the default "representative" image they see making it more confusing... that's why each person should accurately "describe" the edition, language, etc of the game they are offering and not count on the image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoamDog wrote:
I'd love to maintain a geeklist that I could bulk add to the MathTrade as individual items (which, if I understand you correctly, is what you are going to provide).
Well I wasn't actually going to support copying items from any geeklist... only from math trade geeklists that the tool already has the data from.

The copy feature would also require the user to provide their BGG password so the item(s) when copied are owned by that user (and not me!), so users who don't trust me or the tool will not want to use it.

By the way, see above, the feature would now be able to copy the imageid as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: OLWLGE; more new features/changes
* In step 3, when you click on one of the links in the table header to resort the table, it will now popup a fixed position box with status on the resort and will only disappear once the sort is done.

I know at least in my browser (Opera) the resort takes a fair amount of time, and I think some folks don't realize that and try to do things (a different sort, add items, etc) while it's still resorting.

* http://olwlg.activityclub.org/ now has (for current MT's only) a direct link to step 4 for those who have already done step 3

* on the new statistic page a new table of games that appear on the want and/or wishlists of the users in the math trade, but which are not currently being offered in that math trade (sorted by popularity).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it is just me--but I figured I'd mention it.

When I go to edit my want list--the far right column game is covered up with the "sliding bar" to move up and down...so I can't see the list in order to edit it.

I'm using Firefox on an HP laptop running XP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merkles Boner wrote:
When I go to edit my want list--the far right column game is covered up with the "sliding bar" to move up and down...so I can't see the list in order to edit it.

Ok, I've just added a blank right most column so the vertical scroll bar in Firefox just covers up the blank column. Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kagen
United States
Northbridge
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff,

I must say this is a fantastic tool. I can't imagine doing a math trade without it.

I had an idea of feature you might want to add to support people with a lot of items to trade. Since the order of the items I have to trade is fixed it can be a fair amount of work to figure out which boxes to check for each item I want. It would be nice to be able to do one of the following:

1) Sort items for trade by geeklist item number instead of alphabetical
2) Set a monetary value for each item to trade and then specify the monitary value of the item you want and have a way to automatically check off each item in your trade list which is less than or equal to the value of the wanted item.
3) For items to trade dialogue box display geeklist item number instead of BGG list item number and allow ability to sort on that.

I guess my goal is to have the to trade list sorted by value which is the order I enter them into the geeklist. That makes it much easier to check off which items I'm willing to trade for a specific game.

Another very minor issue I'm having now is when I go to the edit your want list in table format, the rows are very tall so I only see 2 or 3 items per page. This didn't use to be the case and of course it maybe just some setting I have wrong in IE.

Thanks for the wonderful tool,
Uncle Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Merkles Boner wrote:

Ok, I've just added a blank right most column so the vertical scroll bar in Firefox just covers up the blank column. Hope that helps!

Thanks for fixing that. I had the same problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

When I am working on Step 3 and hit Add, if I try to just add the game to a current Pseudo Item, I can not press the Save button. (Actually I can press the Save, but it does nothing). The only way for me to add an item to a Pseudo item is to just hit Add and then Save without clicking any check boxes. Then I have to go to Step 4 to add the item to a Pseudo item.

NOTE: I have tried on both my Mac at home (using Safari) and my PC at work (don't tell) using FireFox.

Thanks for the AWESOME tool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should now be fixed... it was a security/error check that you weren't trying to add a want for someone else's item. Weird in that I thought I had tested it, but it could have never worked (til now).
mbuckingham wrote:
When I am working on Step 3 and hit Add, if I try to just add the game to a current Pseudo Item, I can not press the Save button. (Actually I can press the Save, but it does nothing). The only way for me to add an item to a Pseudo item is to just hit Add and then Save without clicking any check boxes. Then I have to go to Step 4 to add the item to a Pseudo item.

NOTE: I have tried on both my Mac at home (using Safari) and my PC at work (don't tell) using FireFox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UncMike wrote:
2) Set a monetary value for each item to trade and then specify the monitary value of the item you want and have a way to automatically check off each item in your trade list which is less than or equal to the value of the wanted item.
Yup, on the list. Michael Van Biesbrouck had suggested it. 1/3 of of what's needed is now there (values for wants). I don't have a place to store the values for your own items so would have to create another data file (I'm not using a real database ).

Regarding sorting your items in the popup in step 3, I'd have to make it an option as for most alphabetical is easier unless they also added to GL their items in a defined order. But I'll probably just wait til I get the other part mentioned above as sorting by your assigned value makes more sense than by GL order.

By the way, in step 4, in theory your items may already be sorted by value... that's because it's sorted by number of items each item wants (boxes checked). In theory your higher valued items will have fewer items wanted (that you are willing to trade it for).

As far as layout in step 4, I'll have to try it in IE as you (don't worry I won't check boxes ). What version of IE are you using? In interm you would try a different browser if you have one installed. My guess is it has something to do with scrollable table body, which is new (designed to help those with lots of wants).

edit: never mind on IE version... I see it... cell heights are higher than the content! weird... I'll see why and hope I don't have to specify a fixed cell height
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummmm. Where did the ADD button go in step 3?

I am using IE (but have also looked on Firefox (which seemed to have a lot of problems sorting) and do not see the ADD button for any of the line items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UncMike wrote:
Another very minor issue I'm having now is when I go to the edit your want list in table format, the rows are very tall so I only see 2 or 3 items per page. This didn't use to be the case and of course it maybe just some setting I have wrong in IE.
Yup, know what the problem is... in the CSS I set the TBODY height to 400px so that on browsers that support it (looks like only firefox?), the table body is a fixed height scrollable body with fixed header.

IE is letting letting the cells inherit that height. I'll have to either check for browser and not generate the css for tbody if it's IE, or see if in the css I can set the cell/row heights to "auto".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [75] |