Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Takenoko» Forums » General

Subject: what does it Really mean if someone else hoards cards and wins the game ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You carefully display enough completed objective cards to initiate the procedure to end the game when suddenly another player reveals "hoarded" hidden cards with enough points to "steal" the win from you.

So what was it that was stolen from you? You simply didn't have enough points to win in the first place. You just didn't know it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoarding Cards Fix? Increase emperor bonus perhaps?
problems with scoring in the end game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Dobson
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmb
Why not claim all your cards when you have the required amount to end the game then? You're unnecessarily extending the game playing time by hoarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMartinDobson wrote:
Why not claim all your cards when you have the required amount to end the game then? You're unnecessarily extending the game playing time by hoarding.

I simply like to lay a lot of objectives at once and steal a victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMartinDobson wrote:

Perhaps the player lacks confidence against an opponent who may also be holding completed but undeclared objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Marinov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it, are you giving your opinion regarding already existing threads by opening a new one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vega777 wrote:
I don't get it, are you giving your opinion regarding already existing threads by opening a new one?

It is just a simple topic starter. Not "how to fix the problem", but instead "why should anyone think it's a problem in the first place".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
It is just a simple topic starter. Not "how to fix the problem", but instead "why should anyone think it's a problem in the first place".

I agree. This is a valid strategy for winning, that doesn't always work 100% I might add. I will use it depending on various game situations, like who else is putting cards down, how many cards they have in their hand, what point value are the objects that I have completed and displayed versus completed and am holding...

BTW, a relatively easy way to determine if "hoarding" is going on is to check the status of their bamboo. If they have a bunch that has not been turned in and they're holding panda cards, guess what? They've probably completed one or more of them. Hording land cards can either be an indication that they're hoarding completed cards, or are holding cards they can't (or won't) finish. How to tell? Are they still pulling land hexes and playing them? Are they trying to irrigate? They're probably trying to complete an objective. Neither of the above? They're either holding completed cards or have given up.

It's difficult to hoard gardener cards simply because the state of the board can change, so you can generally rule that out.

Bottom line: it's not really a secret if you consider the indicators. Plus you can't hoard everything because of the card limit.

If you see someone hoarding, play accordingly. Easy enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.