Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things that bothers me with this game is the pacing. It's slow. Even while you are experienced, it takes a while to get the game rolling.

I thought, to help speed things up, to have the players start the game with the following:

- 30 mana to spend on equipment and/or conjurations.
- unspent mana is not saved
- the mage can start in the four squares in their corner (their initial square, the two cardinally adjacenent and the one diagonally adjacent.
- conjurations can be placed in any of these four squares or any square that could be legally done from one of those squares.
- mages do not start with any opening mana, but channel as normal.

while in the standard game there is something engaging about seeing someone's opening moves, it's also slow and boring. And this game is a lot of analysis paralysis, especially for new players.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You clearly want to play a completely different game to me.

I love the game how it is, I'd have no interest in playing your version.

Also, your way will give Turn 3 wins. There's already too many Turn 4-5 wins in the standard game. they can be slowed, and that's half the game, but your changes would just make it an aggro fest, when the beauty of the spellbook system is control and finesse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
have you tried Mage Wars Academy yet? it is a much faster version of mage wars arena. maybe it offers what you are looking for.

I love the Mage Wars core mechanics, but always found arena too long (and almost tedious for me). Academy hit the spot for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for faster play without giving up the move action you might consider Battlegrounds: Domination expansion. The additional victory condition speeds up game play and terrain/orb guardians provide additional game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts.

I own a fair bit of Mage Wars Arena. I've no interest in buying more Mage Wars at this point. I want to make the base game more appealing and speed up the opening series of rounds.

One of the things that didn't excite me about Academy was the lack of conjurations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Also, your way will give Turn 3 wins. There's already too many Turn 4-5 wins in the standard game. they can be slowed, and that's half the game, but your changes would just make it an aggro fest, when the beauty of the spellbook system is control and finesse.

What? I don't think I've ever seen a win any earlier than about 10 rounds in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Madd
United States
Statesboro
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 4-5 wins happen, but both players have to be aggressive. If one player is being more defensive, then around turn 10 is normal, and I'd say this is the more likely scenario. If both players are defensive, then you may be at the table for a few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.