Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Sanchez Moroni
Brazil
Campinas
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or there's anyone else that find strange the rating breakdown for this game? Forme, it seens that we have a bot ratingthis game over and over. Specially when, in lessthan 12hrs thegame has wentupmore than 1 whole point in the rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin R. Krause
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that this game even exists! The rating computer works on automatic, but it has to be a well planed joke form someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter van der Helm
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must be an April fools joke....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tegenfeldt
Sweden
örnsköldsvik
domsjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no its simply that good .

monkey auto races is the pirates choice of game and if you like pirates you will vote 10 for monkey auto races.

Argh matey monkeys arrrh

and it gets extra points for superior rum playability the more rum the better the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torquato wrote:
I just noticed that this game even exists! The rating computer works on automatic, but it has to be a well planed joke form someone.

You must have missed it yesterday. As a coordinated April's Fool joke, many people rated the game a 10 in an effort to displace Puerto Rico as number 1. It worked. Almost 300 people entered their rating on March 31 and MAR was #1 for a day (actually two now). Many of the ratings have been now been removed as things return to normal. Hopefully everyone will remove their bogus ratings or Aldie may not let things like this happen in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was, as speculated above, a large-scale joke that I organized. I can guarantee that by tomorrow, it won't be #1 any more. I'm endeavouring to have all ratings removed as soon as possible, so there won't be a mess left behind us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Tracey
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What I don't understand, is that this game only has 300 votes. Shouldn't the extra "average" votes bring this game down significantly, and thus not the #1 game? (As of now it's still #1)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to post an article with details, eventually, but briefly:

100 dummy votes of ~5.5 are added in.

(300 * 10) + (100 * 5.5) / 400 = an average of 8.875, well over Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Tracey
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fair enough, I probably should have done the math first myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gautier R
Belgium
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's already 3 april
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is now ranked 702, after the April 3 ranking run. Presumably, the ranking will continue to fall as additional votes are removed. Perhaps it's too much to ask that the game fall out of the rankings altogether (the game had no ratings at all before this whole thing started). It now has enough 1 votes alone to keep it ranked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it really funny that Puerto Rico as of yesterday had a rating of around 8.29 and now it has a rating of 8.80???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
chessduffer wrote:
I find it really funny that Puerto Rico as of yesterday had a rating of around 8.29 and now it has a rating of 8.80???

It's not really that strange. Probably people that haven't rated the game yet, due to it's top position did notice the change and didn't get 1st of April or something.

And the userbase here is still going up isn't it? Therefor more PR ratings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chessduffer wrote:

April 1 is over, so you don't need to fool us.
At the moment (April 3), Puerto Rico has 8309 ratings, with an average rating of 8.48, and a ranking of 8.40.
On April 1, Puerto Rico had a ranking of 8.39, based on 8284 ratings.
So 25 new ratings in two days. Doesn't look strange at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
The game is now ranked 702, after the April 3 ranking run. Presumably, the ranking will continue to fall as additional votes are removed. Perhaps it's too much to ask that the game fall out of the rankings altogether (the game had no ratings at all before this whole thing started). It now has enough 1 votes alone to keep it ranked.

I don't think it's too much to ask. It's my hope to have *all* ratings removed. If that's not possible, I definitely want to get it unranked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
chessduffer wrote:

Part of the reason also is that as additional insurance the joke would work, most of us decreased our rank of PR by 2 notches. When I erased MAR, I also moved my rank for PR up from 6 to 8.

So the combo of people putting back the "real" PR ratings and those that were retaliating for PR dropping to #2 sent this average through the roof in 2 days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:
Part of the reason also is that as additional insurance the joke would work, most of us decreased our rank of PR by 2 notches.

Just as a quick note, the effect of this on PR's rating was only about 0.03.

PR was at 8.42 before all this stuff, it dropped as low as 8.39, and presently it's at 8.40.

The tricky part is that the above are the "post-processing" figures. BGG manipulates the data a bit. Perhaps the 8.80 was a raw figure from somewhere. I can't remember the screen that shows the raw amount right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:
chessduffer wrote:

Part of the reason also is that as additional insurance the joke would work, most of us decreased our rank of PR by 2 notches. When I erased MAR, I also moved my rank for PR up from 6 to 8.

Oh yah! I remembered to remove my rating for MAR, but had forgotten to put my PR rating back up to 8 from 5. Thanks for the reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbeer wrote:
Perhaps the 8.80 was a raw figure from somewhere. I can't remember the screen that shows the raw amount right now.

The unmodified rating average is the one shown on top of the game page (1 digit precision), and in the statistic section of the game (2 digits). Currently 8.48.

The number used for ranking is in the list of games. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=game&sortb.... Currently 8.40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbeer wrote:
It's my hope to have *all* ratings removed. If that's not possible, I definitely want to get it unranked.

Yes ,please remove all the ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.