Subject: [Xpost] Questions from a Newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suman Jampala
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Greetings,

I don't know if I am allowed to post a thread containing unanswered questions from another forum-website ( reddit ), but since the folks there have already helped out quite a bit, but I still have more questions I thought it will give a shot. Let me know if this okay!

1) [Rules] Can the home system be activated?

2) [Rules] Any system needs to be activated ( even the home system) before producing, right?

3) [Rules] Is moving into a system different through it? Not English grammar wise, more like how the rule book refers to this concept.

4) [Rules] A planet gets exhausted when a player uses its resources and influence. However, this is not the case in using influence to vote for or against an agenda. Is this correct?

5) [Rules] Can I pass through a wormhole without using the worm hole? That is, can I move on to the Alpha wormhole tile, not teleport myself, and pass through the tile?

6) [Rules] Can a fighter exist without a dock or carrier in a system? What about the home system?

Note that Question no. 6 is not there in my first thread, and that the remaining questions on that thread have been answered as well.

Thanks,
OneFabric

Sources:
1) https://www.reddit.com/r/twilightimperium/comments/4p16h8/qu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suman,

I've played only about two dozen games, but I'll field these questions...no doubt someone else will be along shortly to assist me.

1.) Yes, the Home System can (and needs to be) activated to perform actions in that system
2.) Yes, that's correct.
3.) Well, you typically can't move through a systm, unless your ships permit a movement of "2" or greater. In either case, you're activating the the sytem to which you're traveling, not the starting location.
4.) A planet is exhausted when it's first acquired and when either its resources or influence are used. As cited, if you use your Influence for voting, it is NOT exhausted.
5.) Yes, you need not go through a Wormhole if you're simply moving to another tile during the same (or later) turn.
6.) No, you must have either a Carrier or Space Dock which can hangar the Fighter.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
OneFabric wrote:
I don't know if I am allowed to post a thread containing unanswered questions from another forum-website ( reddit )

We wouldn't even know if you hadn't told us, so...
Quote:

Yes. I'm curious as to how you got the idea it might not be possible.
Quote:
2) [Rules] Any system needs to be activated ( even the home system) before producing, right?

Normally, yes, but some special circumstances (eg Strategy Cards) may allow producing in a system without activation or an already activated system.
Quote:
3) [Rules] Is moving into a system different through it? Not English grammar wise, more like how the rule book refers to this concept.

Yes, they are clearly distinguished.
Quote:
4) [Rules] A planet gets exhausted when a player uses its resources and influence. However, this is not the case in using influence to vote for or against an agenda. Is this correct?

Correct. Unexhausted planets contribute votes without becoming exhausted.
Quote:
5) [Rules] Can I pass through a wormhole without using the worm hole? That is, can I move on to the Alpha wormhole tile, not teleport myself, and pass through the tile?

Indeed. Once again I do not comprehend the confusion which leads to this question.
Quote:
6) [Rules] Can a fighter exist without a dock or carrier in a system? What about the home system?

No. You seem to be imagining the home system is special in a number of ways that don't appear in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damerell wrote:
OneFabric wrote:

So am I. How else can you move to it or produce there (excepting strategy cards)?

damerell wrote:
OneFabric wrote:

Indeed. Once again I do not comprehend the confusion which leads to this question.

Imagine what would happen if that was not the case - if you move to the first Alpha tile you would then have to move to the second. Being at the second you would then have to move to the first and so on, essentially locked in the wormhole forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pratt
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OneFabric wrote:
Greetings,

I don't know if I am allowed to post a thread containing unanswered questions from another forum-website ( reddit ), but since the folks there have already helped out quite a bit, but I still have more questions I thought it will give a shot. Let me know if this okay!

Yes, home systems can be activated, provided that they don't yet have a command counter on them for whomever is activating the system.

OneFabric wrote:

It depends. If you want to produce using a tactical or transfer action, then yes, it needs to be activated before producing. Producing units using the secondary of Production or Imperial do not require the system to be activated (and you can also do these even if the system has already been activated).

OneFabric wrote:

A little bit. You can move into a system containing enemy ships. You (generally) can NOT move through a system containing enemy ships. Otherwise they're pretty similar.

OneFabric wrote:

OneFabric wrote:

You don't automatically move to another wormhole when entering a system with one. The best way to remember how they work is that, for purposes of movement, to treat systems with identical wormholes as if the tiles were adjacent to each other.

OneFabric wrote:

Generally no. If you have the Advanced Fighter technology, that is an exception to this. And, if I recall, during space combat that fighters live until the end of the battle (at which point they become unsupported), even if their supporting carrier got killed earlier in the fight.

Also, some flagships and mercenaries (Shards of the Throne) have capacity to support fighters too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suman Jampala
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thank you very much, Professor, David, Greg and Matthias!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suman Jampala
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
damerell wrote:
OneFabric wrote:
I don't know if I am allowed to post a thread containing unanswered questions from another forum-website ( reddit )

We wouldn't even know if you hadn't told us, so...
Quote:

Quote:

Normally, yes, but some special circumstances (eg Strategy Cards) may allow producing in a system without activation or an already activated system.
Quote:

Yes, they are clearly distinguished.
Quote:

Correct. Unexhausted planets contribute votes without becoming exhausted.
Quote:

Quote:

No. You seem to be imagining the home system is special in a number of ways that don't appear in the rules.

Thanks David!

I don't remember the exact reason I got confused regarding the home system, but I think it might have been because I simply thought it special based on instinct, not necessary because of any particular rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Suman,

4.) A planet is exhausted when it's first acquired and when either its resources or influence are used. As cited, if you use your Influence for voting, it is NOT exhausted.

I think it's worth emphasizing that you cannot use both resources and influence from any planet. Even when you have an objective "I now spend X resources and X Influence", for each planet you exhaust you must choose if you exhaust it for resources or for influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.