Subject: Better Game Systems rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chance Anderson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I know everyone is super stoked for a new Firefly game and all, but I feel that there are game systems more equiped to handle this theme than Legendary Encounters. The first thought that came to me was the Descent 2.0/ Imperial Assault systems. Those games seem leagues better fit to handle the action that goes down in the Verse'. It may just be me, but please, if anyone thinks of any other existing systems perfect for the IP, then reply to this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Auld
United States
Healdsburg
California
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those games are also leagues less accessible to new players. The target audience for a Firefly themed game goes way way beyond hardcore gamers. I imagine they specifically want something shorter, simpler, and easier to sell than Firefly: The Game.

That said, I definitely do agree that there are thematically better fits for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Different strokes for different folks. I already own Firefly: The Game, and I can't imagine a more thematic Firefly game than that. But it also takes about 4 hours to play. I think it's possible to own and enjoy multiple Firefly games in different styles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Sanders
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Will we get any previews of the cards anytime soon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be a bit. They just started teasing Marvel Civil War, then Alien's expansion is scheduled next, THEN we'll see BTILC and Firefly teased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both Firefly and Legendary: Marvel, so I am thrilled about the game system.

Yeah, it will not be a very good thematic fit, but I think that the best system for Firefly would be a straight pen and paper RPG. Much of the excitement of the show was the characters creative and varied approaches to problems. Many of the episodes are not resolved in them running through guns blazing but in diplomacy or defeating a lynch pin bad guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Repeat Dance

Lincoln
Nebraska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I was lukewarm at best about Marvel Legendary, but absolutely love Legendary Encounters.

Super-excited for a new Firefly game, but I certainly don't disagree that it won't be as rich a Firefly experience in this form than in several others we can think of. If it plays anything like LE I think I'll be satisfied, but yeah, possibly "wanting more" as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this system with it being so easy to add new missions and characters is the perfect fit for this game, probably even a better fit than Alien and Predator (which I love).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Auld
United States
Healdsburg
California
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of the thematic fit, I hope this one sells well just because that would open the IP to getting used in even more games. Plus, Firefly and Legendary Encounters seem like a good combo to both promote the use of the IP and help introduce non-gamer firefly fans to modern board games. I would not be surprised if this ends up being the gateway game that gets a decent number of new people into the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Chow
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Redco45 wrote:
I know everyone is super stoked for a new Firefly game and all, but I feel that there are game systems more equiped to handle this theme than Legendary Encounters. The first thought that came to me was the Descent 2.0/ Imperial Assault systems. Those games seem leagues better fit to handle the action that goes down in the Verse'. It may just be me, but please, if anyone thinks of any other existing systems perfect for the IP, then reply to this thread.

In the last 3 years, companies have been milking the license for all that it's worth. Take a look at the BGG search engine results: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objec...

There's even Firefly Clue and Yahtzee!

Am I interested? Nope. (However, I am tempted to buy Yahtzee just for the model ship that can be used to hold and roll the dice.) Nobody is forcing me to buy everything.
I think it's a case of different strokes for different folks. All these games can coexist in the same shop.

Although I haven't played it, Fistful of Credits may be what you are looking for that is closest to Imperial Assault but doesn't have miniatures and it doesn't have positive reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.