Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: RtL: App Internal Rules (Minor Spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
At first I wasn't going to do this, due to the spoilerific nature of digging through the app (unlike the XCOM app), but I have been frustrated by not knowing more general things like 'how useful is fame?' and 'How much difference does it make if you interact with something on the app in a given round?'.

Unfortunately I didn't get all that far. I've decompiled the code, but most numbers come from item/quest/campaign/expansion database somewhere which I have not got to (and unless I get motivated again probably will stop looking for). I am posted what I have found in case someone finds it interesting or wants to take over from here.

Difficulty can be Normal, Hard, Heroic, Legendary, presumably the campaign can pick those it supports which is why we only have Normal and Hard at the moment,

Peril Reduction, Starting Peril and starting gold per hero are all set by the difficulty according to the campaign.

Fame Titles:
Noteworthy, Impressive, Celebrated, Heroic, Legendary, with the thresholds set by campaign

Items can have different costs for buy/sell, depending on the item data (probably not campaign specific). Each item has a maximum and minimum fame level.

Items selected randomly when in fame limits. Each of the 6 item spots in a City has required traits (item must have) and excluded traits (item must not have). I think the traits are defined by the campaign (so for example one spot might always have armour).

Peril:
minor, major and deadly perils appear to be defined by the campaign/quest.

"Quest Difficulty" can be "Basic" or "Advanced", I'm guessing Advanced means something like Act 2?

There are three types or quests Story, Side and Special (not sure exactly but I think this is used for cut scenes and other random campaign related things).

Time is measured in 'Days' for travel, not sure if this is just a code Vs appearance difference or if this is to allow for more fine control of events behind the scenes.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: TrL: App Internal Rules (Minor Spoilers)
The items in the store are generate based on the heroes archetypes. The fame meter influences the prices and the availability of the act 2 items.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: TrL: App Internal Rules (Minor Spoilers)
Interesting. This is more accurate I guess. The slot 5 can be any weapon - I get two magic weapons (sunburst and immolation) at same time.

I will pay attention for my next campaign, maybe have some correlation with fame or they changed since the last patchs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: TrL: App Internal Rules (Minor Spoilers)
Do you know how it treats search tokens? When I search am I still getting more money at the end of the level? I just can't work it out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: TrL: App Internal Rules (Minor Spoilers)
The gold you find in the search tokens goes directly to your inventory/bag.

The gold reward in the end of the level may have variations due to the difficulty, the goals that you complete, but each has its own gold limit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: TrL: App Internal Rules (Minor Spoilers)
kraisto wrote:
The gold you find in the search tokens goes directly to your inventory/bag.

The gold reward in the end of the level may have variations due to the difficulty, the goals that you complete, but each has its own gold limit.


Meaning searching is essentially pointless since each one gives AT MOST 10 gold? Right now we only pick up the cards in the hope that it'll give you more money at the end like it does in the normal game.

(and the weird times it gives you a relic or whatever)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: TrL: App Internal Rules (Minor Spoilers)
Taear wrote:
(and the weird times it gives you a relic or whatever)


I think this part is why you really want to search all tokens. They might be a distraction but a found relic can really turn the tide in future quests. I've heard that some people have found the Dawnblade at some point in the campaign. I unfortunately must have missed it, but had I found it my Skirmisher would have been a beast.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: TrL: App Internal Rules (Minor Spoilers)
Taear wrote:
kraisto wrote:
The gold you find in the search tokens goes directly to your inventory/bag.

The gold reward in the end of the level may have variations due to the difficulty, the goals that you complete, but each has its own gold limit.


Meaning searching is essentially pointless since each one gives AT MOST 10 gold? Right now we only pick up the cards in the hope that it'll give you more money at the end like it does in the normal game.

(and the weird times it gives you a relic or whatever)


The search tokens are a option in RTL, not a main resource like the normal game. You can simple ignore if you don't need search cards or gold.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jenkins
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Re: TrL: App Internal Rules (Minor Spoilers)
Taear wrote:
kraisto wrote:
The gold you find in the search tokens goes directly to your inventory/bag.

The gold reward in the end of the level may have variations due to the difficulty, the goals that you complete, but each has its own gold limit.


Meaning searching is essentially pointless since each one gives AT MOST 10 gold? Right now we only pick up the cards in the hope that it'll give you more money at the end like it does in the normal game.

(and the weird times it gives you a relic or whatever)


The gold is really meager. If you are better at managing your health and stamina (or just better at the game), I can see why some people ignore them. We use the Treasure Hunter to pull healing and stamina potions, which have saved our butts in every quest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Sorry, this campaign/quest dependent. At a guess most are random (small amount of money/search card) and some are scripted. I doubt you will get a relic in a side quest because that could break the campaign (unless the campaign can specifically rule out certain relic drops in the side quest, but this seems overly complicated).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
Sorry, this campaign/quest dependent. At a guess most are random (small amount of money/search card) and some are scripted. I doubt you will get a relic in a side quest because that could break the campaign (unless the campaign can specifically rule out certain relic drops in the side quest, but this seems overly complicated).


I agree it seems unlikely that they would have relics in the side quests. However it would be possible for them to program the app to drop a relic in a side quest. For example on the 3rd side quest your group attempts the 6th search token will contain X relic. I would love this as it would add some variability in the campaigns with little effort.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Possible sure, but from the structure I have seen there isn't a mechanism for this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
quartersmostly wrote:
BruceLGL wrote:
Sorry, this campaign/quest dependent. At a guess most are random (small amount of money/search card) and some are scripted. I doubt you will get a relic in a side quest because that could break the campaign (unless the campaign can specifically rule out certain relic drops in the side quest, but this seems overly complicated).


I agree it seems unlikely that they would have relics in the side quests. However it would be possible for them to program the app to drop a relic in a side quest. For example on the 3rd side quest your group attempts the 6th search token will contain X relic. I would love this as it would add some variability in the campaigns with little effort.



The principal function off the app it's emulate a traditional Descent campaign with no Overlord and nothing more. They not programmed the app to have many random variables ( no random maps, no random gold or items on search tokens, etc). But who knowns in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
Sorry, this campaign/quest dependent. At a guess most are random (small amount of money/search card) and some are scripted. I doubt you will get a relic in a side quest because that could break the campaign (unless the campaign can specifically rule out certain relic drops in the side quest, but this seems overly complicated).


The game is really specific about where things are - the Staff of Light was in a room that it proper laid out beforehand to have something huge, staffy and lighty in it.

That said I could easily see side quests having relics from those paticular expansions in, why not? Most (not all) expansion relics are quite minor.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulises Vela
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have noticed that the Items giving during the shopping step in the City weren't random at all. I wanted to have all my party well armored but I found difficult to get an armor for everyone in just one travel.

Aside from that, about the searching in quest, I think it is an important aspect not because of the money but because of what you find there. As Michael said, I think potions have became the most wanted search item in RtL (Fire Flask, is more than useless; Curse doll, you probably have a way to eradicate conditions by now; protecting ward, well, probably the only good item. That's why I have Ulma as a healer. Anyway, potions have really saved my ... in so many quest.

Now, for the relic stuff. It is funny because I haven't found relics through searching, but rather by exploring. I have the Staff of Light (don't remember how I got it), the Shield of the Dark God (I found it in a main quest of Act II), and lastly, the Shards of Ithyndrus (and this is the funny thing, I got it from the side quest).

In the beginning I though RtL wasn't going to allow relics at all because there are many and they may unbalance the game. However, I was surprised when I found the Staff of Light. Since then I prefer taking my time (even if lose the quest due to perils) and scout around. I did actually lose MoB side quest because of this hahaha.

Anyhow, I think even RtL tries to keep the soul of the game (OL vs Heroes) but it actually has its own features, like the exploring theme.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome that they have incorporated relics from the expansions. This app keeps getting better and better.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Velaur wrote:

Now, for the relic stuff. It is funny because I haven't found relics through searching, but rather by exploring. I have the Staff of Light (don't remember how I got it), the Shield of the Dark God (I found it in a main quest of Act II), and lastly, the Shards of Ithyndrus (and this is the funny thing, I got it from the side quest).


You get the staff from searching in a level in Act 1. The room has a staff that casts light across it (no, really).

The shards I got from the side quest too. I guess they consider them not too powerful, which is true really. They're very nice but they're not game changing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.