$35.00
Mark van der Upwich
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The First Episode of my new Game Review project called: The Final Judgement.
Episode 1 features Igpay Games' 'Dysfunctional Families'

You can Listen to the Interview I had with its creator Eric Shefferman Here:
https://soundcloud.com/thefinalroll/the-final-roll-interview...

Or Read / Listen to the Blog + Podcast Combi Here:
https://thefinalroll.wordpress.com/2016/06/26/the-final-roll...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Support this Podcast / Blog on Patreon: www.patreon.com/thefinalroll
Support this Podcast / Blog via Paypal: www.paypal.me/thefinalroll
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Game: Dysfunctional Families
Year: 2016 ( On Kickstarter until Wednesday 07-13! http://kck.st/1UxtuOQ )
Genre: Card Games (Set Collection)
No. of Players: 3-10
Playtime: Depends on the number of players.
Weight: Light
Price: 15 USD (Kickstarter Price with Free US Shipping)

Publisher: Igpay Games
URL: http://www.igpay.com
Developer(s): Eric Shefferman
Artist(s): Eric Shefferman

Flavour Summary:

You all know a couple of families around your neighborhood that are not necessarily really ‘normal’, but none are as horrible as the ‘Dysfunctional Families’. Try to collect as many as you can (the Father, Mother, Son and Daughter) to win the game of ‘Dysfunctional Families’.

Overview:

The Game is a lot like ‘Go Fish’, where you have to ask another player for the card you are looking for (if you have another member of the family in your hand already) but the cool thing about it is that you’ll have to make up a reason why! So if you’re looking for the Pimp’s daughter you might want to come up with ‘I’m looking for the Pimp’s Daughter because she totally wrecked my [dancing] pole’. This improvisation feature of the game makes for hilarious reasons why you are looking for the card, especially if you have some very messed up friends (like I do, I’m even afraid to play this game with some of my friends because that would make for a game-night that might get us a ticket straight into hell upon Judgement Day).

Another twist on the old ‘Go Fish’ formula are the Power cards: cards that don’t belong to a family but can be played to completely change up the way the current game is going. For instance there’s the parole officer who comes knocking on the door, where you can call out a card and whoever possesses that card at the time must give it to you instantly (so you don’t have to guess which player has it). This to me is a nice little changeup and can throw a game right up side down.

I played this game by means of the Black and White Print and Play (which you can get for free if you sign up for the mailing list on www.igpay.com) and the first thing you’ll notice is that all the characters are drawn as simple stick-figures who accurately portray who they are and what their life is like, for instance the Arsonist’s Son is burning ants with his magnifying glass while the kids of the Drug Dealer seem to have trouble even standing on their feet. I personally like the way this is done and when talking to Eric, he wanted the game to feel like it was drawn by one of the Dysfunctional Families’ kids, which he well achieved this way. The full game will of course be in color and as you can see on the Kickstarter page this works even better!

Final Judgement:

Dysfunctional Families is a nice, light little game that works best if you and your friends are just as dysfunctional as the families in the game. It’s guaranteed to make you laugh a lot if you are playing it with the right kind of people and can be played until well late into the night because of its simple core mechanics. If you and your weird / rough / rowdy / dysfunctional friends are looking for a few good laughs while downing some beers on a saturday night, Dysfunctional Families will guarantee a good time!

And that’s my Final Judgement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.