Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it took more tries than I'd like to admit, but I finally won scenario 2 ("Scramble".)

My previous attempts all saw my starbase disintegrated by the Rhea-class Titan. This time, I tried a different strategy - instead of sending over scrambled ships piecemeal, i.e. as they became available, I waited until most of the force was launched to approach the titan. While this gave the Rhea some free turns to approach unmolested, it ensured that when I started attacking, the attack was in force and overwhelming.

Previously, I would engage with a few ships at a time, and get picked apart.

I'd the say the decisive factor in this game - after the strategy change - were the missiles. My missiles absolutely pummeled the titan. There were turns where I was rolling for 4 different full strength salvos.

Anyways, thought I'd share. One thing I'll say for Astra Titanus is that you really come to dread and despise the titan over the course of a game. On some of those aforementioned missile devastation turns, I actually found myself sitting alone there in the middle of the night, pumping my fist and shouting at little pieces of cardboard. I call that a gaming win :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a great strategy, I'm gonna try this.
I always feel compelled to throw what I can at the Titan, which as you see doesn't really work and only wins if you roll super hot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Sullivan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviving this thread to say that I just beat scenario 2 after a bunch of tries myself. I had to play much differently to beat this Rhea than the Hyperion in the first scenario. I really held everyone back until I could consolidate enough firepower to guarantee the damage I needed to inflict.

The fact that both scenarios have to be approached differently say a lot about the depth of the game. I couldn't beat this one until I analyzed my losses, wrote out a strategy, and then tweaked it after another loss.

I feel like I'm really learning about my enemies, like a person in this universe would. Totally getting immersed in what's going on. Can't wait to see what scenario 3 has to offer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.