Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Lutsch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've read some mixed reviews of CoS and general praise for Chicks in a Catacomb and Zombie Horde. However, there seems to be a lot more content in CoS for the price. Would appreciate some opinions on which to back before the KS ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry can't help much, but the pictorial review does suggest there's a lot of stuff in CoS that looks good - like the new catacomb lords:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1587648/pictorial-overview-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
KD:M!!!!!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlutsch wrote:
I've read some mixed reviews of CoS and general praise for Chicks in a Catacomb and Zombie Horde. However, there seems to be a lot more content in CoS for the price. Would appreciate some opinions on which to back before the KS ends.

Actually, there are more heroes and lords in the complete set of resurrection packs than in CoS expansion. Also, you'd be getting an extra board. I have both from the first KS and use them both the same. I would get both, but if I had to choose one, I'd get the resurrection packs only because you might not be able to get them later.

(BTW, neither is needed. C3E is a great game by itself with more than enough content. The expansions do improve the variety and I'm happy to own them, but they are not a must buy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Meeusen

Belmont
Michigan
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I had similar thoughts but was looking more into the resurrection pack 2 instead of one, though I heard the heroes from 1 were better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy the base Catacombs, you will love CoS for the sheer amount of stuff it provides in every department (but extra boards). One thing that it provides in droves is the extra monsters. The thing you see the most of in every game is monsters. You see one overlord, and four heroes every game. You see tons of monsters every game, and extra options is never a bad thing. You can run a whole 'family' of monsters and not get as tired of them with the new additions.

I could say more, but the picture overview thread shows you everything you need to know. For me, the base Catacombs is great and CoS is basically an insta-buy if you enjoy the base game and want more of everything.

If money is a concern, figure out what you want and look at the material (or ask for opinions) and pick out something you want. If money isn't an option, buy whatever you want.

(I have CoS, and do not have any of the Resurrection material. I would like the Chicks in a Catacomb add-on. We always appreciate extra heroes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By my count, the base game has 26 monsters.
CoS adds 18.
The Zombie Horde (Resurrection Pack 1) adds 7.
Resurrection Pack 2 adds the Vampire Guard.

Pictures of all monsters in the base and CoS expansion are available in their respective entries.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Beverly Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlutsch wrote:

Well--I'm a bit late to the party as the campaign has ended, but if it were a question between only Resurrection Pack 1 (i.e., Chicks and Zombies) and Cavern of Soloth, I'd take Cavern of Soloth. The question is maybe a little harder if you are thinking of getting all of the Resurrection Packs or Cavern of Soloth, where I'd probably still lean Cavern of Soloth unless money is no object--because all three of the Resurrection Packs together come with a pretty high price tag, even if it is limited exclusive possibly-never-to-be-seen-again stuff.

Chicks probably provides more powerful heroes overall than Cavern of Soloth, but Soloth probably provides the most interesting new hero out of the bunch with the Witch Hunter (though he doesn't play well in all groups, given that he has to be a bit more selfish to craft his items). You also get a bunch of new Catacomb Lords/Items/Rooms/etc. with Cavern of Soloth that you don't get with Chicks. Zombies provides additional monsters, though I think more interesting monsters overall are in Cavern of Soloth, and really--there are enough monsters in the game with just one of the expansions anyway. The principal problem with Zombies is that the only way they make it into the game is on those rooms where the Overseer gets to choose monster groups, because there are no room cards which incorporate them otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lutsch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate the input. I decided to go with Cavern of Soloth since I will likely get only the one expansion. The KS exclusives are very tempting, but what matters most to me is the amount of content I'll be getting to keep the game feeling fresh. Can't wait to start playing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.