Subject: Seven Years war information rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
I'm looking for information, books,websites or documentaries about military tactics used in North America during the Seven Years war. I really know next to nothing about the time, despite the Canadian Govt trying to push it on us.
I'd love to find more about tactics, firing lines, unit compositions especially in small engagements, less than 1000 men per side. And in less than favourable conditions.

I'm hoping to find info on British and French forces and tactics, plus combined units would cooperate, ie marines with traditional foot and mixed artillery.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Spacegras
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how much information it will have about the conflict in North America, but this website is a great resource for info on the European aspect of the war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
About the war as a whole, see Fred Anderson's Crucible of War. I don't know a book devoted to tactics in the war, but David Gates' The British Light Infantry Arm, although it doesn't cover the war, might give some insight. Or you could just watch "Northwest Passage", with Spencer Tracy and Robert Young.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tms2 wrote:
About the war as a whole, see Fred Anderson's Crucible of War. I don't know a book devoted to tactics in the war, but David Gates' The British Light Infantry Arm, although it doesn't cover the war, might give some insight. Or you could just watch "Northwest Passage", with Spencer Tracy and Robert Young.

Anderson's book is outstanding. I would also recommend Parkman's Montcalm and Wolfe.

For history about the combat along the frontier, especially involving the tribes on both sides, the ranger units of the British (mainly Rogers' Rangers), and the courier de bois (did I spell that right?), I highly recommend Allan D. Eckert's Wilderness Empire. But be forewarned that it is very descriptive regarding torture of captives.

There are also some Osprey books on British light infantry, Rangers, French fortifications, and one titled Wolfe's Army. They have loads of illustrations of uniforms, and descriptions of military life, training, and tactics of their respective subjects.

Much of the history of military defeats in the French & Indian War involves sieges and the failure of European tactics in the wilderness environs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Try Google or Bing to see what comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Trowbridge
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

For history about the combat along the frontier, especially involving the tribes on both sides, the ranger units of the British (mainly Rogers' Rangers), and the courier de bois (did I spell that right?), I highly recommend Allan D. Eckert's Wilderness Empire. But be forewarned that it is very descriptive regarding torture of captives.

Second that recommendation !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can recommend Redcoat: The British Soldier and War in the Americas 1755-1763 by Stephen Brumwell.

Also, The First Way of War: American War Making on the Frontier, 1607-1814 by John Grenier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
wernervoss wrote:
Also, The First Way of War: American War Making on the Frontier, 1607-1814 by John Grenier.

Grenier gave a talk at Carlisle based on this book: https://youtu.be/xs-eegRUtBM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark van der Veen
Netherlands
Oh, oh, Den Haag, mooie stad achter de duinen.....
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Patrick Cleburne, probably the most underrated Confederate general
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that that particular theatre of the war is referred to as the French and Indian War.
This may be useful when google-ing for information.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.