Popular Tags: [View All]
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Scott N. video - I used the same approach as him to teach the game. With a hassle free walk through prior to play - we managed to play it in 4 hours (3 player) all newbies. - With very few questions during play.

My approach (never played Die Macher):

1. Important to give each player a player aid (BGG file)

2. Set up 4 boards with 4 state counters. Go through sequence of playing each board in turn. A very general briefing. No details. Just one minute briefing.

3. Teaching the all important Score Current State - step 9. Remove 3 boards (one left). Use one player color only. Set up 3-4 meeting cubes, poplrty. marker, 4 Public cards and 5 Platform cards.

Demonstrate how to calculate Votes by coincidence - popularity and meeting markers. And converting them to seats = victory points.

Do not go through winning rules at this point. Make a point of this is 90% of the goal of the game. All 13 steps in a round is all about making this setup optimal. And make sure everybody knows that you all score points regardless of winning or loosing an election.

Time to learn about each step in sequence.

4. Add one additional board. Use 2 player colors only. No money. Set up with a few bits and pieces on each board. A couple of Media markers. New board should have 3 Public cards down and 1 face up.Some cards in the exchange pool and a party member counter are enough. Just one player`s 5 Platform cards is enough.

5. Start with bid for starting player - next step is swapping cards in the Party Conference. ... and continue with each step.

Make sure you lay down two Shadow Cabinet cards with coalition marker -so you can demonstrate coalition later.

Be sure to end up with one board with majority of media markers and the other board not. You can then easy demonstrate the importance of majority during Buying Media Markers and Opinion Polls.

Remember to make a security card set when demonstrating the placement of Public cards at the National Board. This make the demonstration of end scoring much easier.

Thats it!!! in less than 30 min.

Now you can setup the game. There is only one item left - how fill in the preliminary options. Not a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lyons Beck
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey man-- smell my finger!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, after giving out the player aid, I go over the board & the cards, explaining what it is we're going to be playing with. The Issue cards are the most important, donation & shadow cabinet need only a cursory explanation.

I skip #2 and go directly to explaining how to calculate votes. I also stress that you calculate votes for each state each round, and then you score the final state. I think that everything is based off of this, and once the players understand how to convert their hard work into votes, everything else falls into place.

Then I explain what the winner gets. Whoopee! Sweet smell of victory! I also go over ties, but leave out coalitions.

Then it's going over the turn sequence. W/ the background of what it is you're fighting for, it makes a lot more sense. Why you want to buy Media Markers, why you want to change your Issues, etc.

Then I go for the 'big finish' & explain coalitions. By this time, the players should realize what it all means, and how important it is.

Then you go over Initial Set-up, and you start.

Oh, it also helps to have most of it set-up before you start the explanations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.