Subject: Can't pay endeavour - what to do? (some spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today we had the following situation:
In LY 23, all survivors "ran away" (pictograph innovation) from the level 3 nemesis encounter. One died trying, three made it safely back to the settlement. According to the rules, this triggers "defeat" and so we got no endeavours.

In the following settlement phase we had the bone witch on our timeline, and all three survivors were obliged to endeavour at the witch camp. As I said, we had no endeavour because of running away from the showdown. We were unable to pay the endeavours that were required from us.

We could not find a hint how to handle this situation - how would you have played it?

Thanks a lot for your opinions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam in some occasions when he clarified things was always after treating rules very literally.
So I suppose you got lucky this time. I guess the witch just doesn't like to hang out with a band of losers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truce Idares
South Africa
flag msg tools
mb
Wait what? Doesn't a returning survivor give endevour thus even those that ran away?

Way I understand it is you get Hunt Experience, Weapon Proficiency and resources if you are victorious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. Yeah, if there's a nemesis that prevents endeavors, you're right. However, pretty sure returning survivors are returning whether or not they win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic has been discussed here
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22744275#22744275
and in a few other places... Can't find my own thread concerning exactly this topic. Seems there is no definite rule, and we played without getting endeavours. It is definitely still unclear, though, and you have to house rule. We interpreted endeavour as euphoria of victory and motivation, and you won't get that be fleeing and suffering defeat from a mighty monster.
We may change that next campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truce Idares
South Africa
flag msg tools
mb
I must say run away has really made things too easy. Even though we have played it that you do get endevour, we might change to make the ability a little more bitter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
Fluidkarma wrote:
This topic has been discussed here
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22744275#22744275
and in a few other places... Can't find my own thread concerning exactly this topic. Seems there is no definite rule, and we played without getting endeavours. It is definitely still unclear, though, and you have to house rule. We interpreted endeavour as euphoria of victory and motivation, and you won't get that be fleeing and suffering defeat from a mighty monster.
We may change that next campaign!

I'd personally rule it this way too. The direct interpretation of the Run Away event is they return to the settlement, I.e. are no longer part of the showdown. They generate no endeavors and don't gain the aftermath bonuses. But maybe that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.