Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you enter a hex with a Bridge from ANY side? Or must a bridge be entered from the 2 sides that feature the entrance and exit?

My guess is any side as it could be argued that the hex has some other space in it where a unit could get around to the entrance (in thematic terms).

But had a player who thought it odd to jump out of the river up onto the side of a bridge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You can only enter and exit a bridge from the land hexes (which should typically be 4 of the 6 hexes). You cannot enter the bridge from the water unless specifically noted in the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to enter the bridge from the entrance and exit. Water is Impassable. I'm sure you could just make your own rules for the water, but that would just make the bridges far less worthwhile of a feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though it makes perfect sense, that bridges can´t be entered from water, I don´t remember reading it in the rulebook! In fact no such rule is mentioned at all, so in scenarios where rivers are fordable, it would be legal to enter a bridge from water. That aside, I think it makes for a perfectly logical house rule, making bridges only accessible from land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the question was whether you could access the bridge from more than two sides of the hex - excluding the ones facing the water. And I think I remember reading a scenarie (maybe from Memoir) in which it was specifically stated that you only had access to the bridge from two sides of the hex.

mads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess is the easiest answer is yes, you can enter a bridge from any side. However, normally you shouldn't be in the water in the first place, making it impossible to move from the river to the bridge. I don't remember any rules that restrict bridge movement (they are definitely not on the reference cards), so a scenario that makes rivers fordable should allow you to move onto the bridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
niels wrote:
I guess is the easiest answer is yes, you can enter a bridge from any side. However, normally you should be in the water in the first place, making it impossible to move from the river to the bridge. I don't remember any rules that restrict bridge movement (they are definitely not on the reference cards), so a scenario that makes rivers fordable should allow you to move onto the bridge.

I think this is it. A typical case of "sure, you can do it, but why would you want to?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mads b. wrote:
I think the question was whether you could access the bridge from more than two sides of the hex - excluding the ones facing the water. And I think I remember reading a scenarie (maybe from Memoir) in which it was specifically stated that you only had access to the bridge from two sides of the hex.

mads

M'44 allows movement from the 4 land hexes. The scenario you are probably thinking of is the Arnhem Bridge scenario ("A Bridge too Far") in which the bridge is actually 3 bridges connected and the entry and exit points are very specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
Even though it makes perfect sense, that bridges can´t be entered from water, I don´t remember reading it in the rulebook! In fact no such rule is mentioned at all, so in scenarios where rivers are fordable, it would be legal to enter a bridge from water. That aside, I think it makes for a perfectly logical house rule, making bridges only accessible from land.

Remember that most things in this game are abstract. So what a bridge does is turn the river back into land. We could accomplish the same effect by removing the river tile and leaving a blank field hex in its place. But for the visual sense we stack a bridge on top of a river hex.

In most scenarios (or by default) river hexes are impassable. Even though they are only a sliver of the hex, the whole hex is off limits. The bridge now allows you to enter that hex so you can get on the other side. In most configuration, you have 2 land hexes on one side and 2on the other. In some case, you may have 1 hex on one side and 3 on the other. All of these are accessible from the bridge hex since they are adjacent to the bridge hex. (Future scenarios may restrict this as in the M'44 example above).

Since you will not be allowed to be on a river hex when the river is impassable, there should be no question that you can not enter a bridge from the water as you would never be on the water.

Now, if the river is fordable (as denoted by the scenario notes), I guess there is no official ruling. The bridge still acts like an unencumbered land hex and has an advantage because fordable rivers still have restrictions (battle and movement, IIRC). So even if the bridge wasn't there, the unit could move to the water underneath. But because C&C really doesn't take a 3D board into account, I think there was mention on the DOW website (now that my memory is jogged) that a unit could move from a fordable river tile to the bridge and vice versa.

This doesn't make sense from a logical perspective because it would seem from a "real" persepctive a bridge would be too high to climb from the river below. But in terms of keeping the game simple, I think it probably works best.

EDIT:
Link to DOW thread I was thinking about. No official weigh in though.
http://www.daysofwonder.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=75538&rid=2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:
This doesn't make sense from a logical perspective because it would seem from a "real" persepctive a bridge would be too high to climb from the river below. But in terms of keeping the game simple, I think it works best.

On the scale of BL, I'd say what would be happening is that the unit marches round onto the bridge rather than climbing up from the river. But yes- simple is best, so I see no reason to note an exception which prohibits movement from river hexes to adjacent bridges in the relatively rare situation in which this might be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.