1 , 2  Next »   | 

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Ideas about future expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McCarthy

Connecticut
msg tools
Now that we have our signs of Carcosa I can't help but dwell on what might be coming next. The most recent expansion had some interesting trends that I really liked. Examples include eight mysteries for the new ancient one and many research and mythos cards that give you a choice instead of just a die roll. This is particularly evident with most of the new cards that hand out impairments.

I theorize that the eight mysteries that hastur starts with could be a sign of a coming expansion for the existing ancient ones. I would love to see an expansion that added two mysteries to each existing AO, as well as add back new versions of the original spells (which have become rather diluted). Wouldn't mind seeing more condition options, especially for funding and agreements. I would also enjoy seeing an implementation of the background cards for the investigators as they did in Arkham horror. I could envision an expansion like that which would add replayability to the earlier AOs and investigators and allow an opportunity to rebalance certain things at the same time. (Ex: add two challenging mysteries to the elder things)

What do you guys think? Would that be a fun expansion or would it be too much of the same stuff? Would you be eager to revisit ancient evils, or would you prefer new AOs instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More. New. Stuff.

Seriously, going back in that manner is just not what FFG are about.

What size box are you envisaging?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umbat01 wrote:
Wouldn't mind seeing more condition options, especially for funding and agreements.

If you don't mind fan-created stuff...

And agreements...

Edit: Huh. I thought I had fixed the typo on the first funding. Oh, well, here it is again, fixed:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror: LEGACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stack
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

How about a EH version of the Miskatonic U AH expansion?

Lots more of all cards and an EH version of the MU Institution variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:

whistle

Please... No.. No...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeS8i2 wrote:

How about a EH version of the Miskatonic U AH expansion?

Lots more of all cards and an EH version of the MU Institution variant

But MH was a "fix up" expansion designed to (in the main) address dilution and balance issues for those who play with multiple expansions. It also signaled the end of the line for the game. I'm absolutely confident that neither of those drivers exist for EH. Not saying it won't happen, but it won't be the next expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Zaverka
msg tools
I think the next expansion will be again a big one with the sideboard. From the clues left in the game's "secret texts" I guess it will be the Dreamlands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Djna83 wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

whistle

Please... No.. No...

Definitely. I wouldn't mind seeing campaign rules, but nothing that requires me to rip up pieces of either $250+ worth of game, or even just $XXX worth of expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shagrat31 wrote:
I think the next expansion will be again a big one with the sideboard. From the clues left in the game's "secret texts" I guess it will be the Dreamlands.
I'd agree that it'll be a big box and so will likely have a side board. Nice detective work on the subject, that'll be interesting to see - especially as the first side board that is "another world".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
A debt expansion, with only 30 new Debt cards.

I expect the next one will include even more talent conditions to give more variety there, enough to be stand alone if you don't have the others.

I know we can make our own, but I would love an official board for putting cards on, and official rules for splitting up the conditions/spells into separate piles based on type. For spells we split into 3 piles, and roll a die when needing to choose a random spell type.

There are so many now, they can't really expect the base rules for these piles to hold...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Slattery
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What led you to believe it is the Dreamlands? I was thinking next would be a US sideboard around Arkham, with Innsmouth, Miskatonic, etc, because there was a large image of a US passport in the rules for Signs of Carcosa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Dreamlands was the answer to the riddle that was in the expansions. Can't find the topic where this got discussed and solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
(Not an actual EH game card. :)
badge
(Not an actual EH game card. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamlands? I would cry if they tried to cram them all onto a small side board. I mean, they're huge (link to Map by Jason Thompson).

Some of the Dreamlands locations and denizens are already included in the encounters, which are a delight. I guess I'll just wait to see if/how they do this. Maybe something akin to how they did the Gates of Arkham expansion for Elder Sign, which replaces much of the original game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Xelto wrote:
Djna83 wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

whistle

Please... No.. No...

Definitely. I wouldn't mind seeing campaign rules, but nothing that requires me to rip up pieces of either $250+ worth of game, or even just $XXX worth of expansion.

Plus, y'know, once the game gets you accustomed to the idea of destroying real-world stuff as a result of in-game effects, the cards start changing themselves and ordering you to sacrifice people to the Old Ones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamlands would be cool.

I'd like to see a "Return to Arkham" sideboard. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who would prefer to see the wildlands near/between Tunguska and the Himalayas done with more depth before Arkham/Dreamlands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please no more boards. At this point a new board would feel obligatory instead of innovative. As if they are only including it as an excuse to make it a big box. Quite honestly, the small boxes seem the better option moving forward. An ancient one or two and some new investigators. We don't need to start bogging the game down with superfluous complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCarthy

Connecticut
msg tools
So it seems that an expansion focusing specifically on expanding existing AOs did not test well, at least not so far. I was envisioning an expansion similar to Forsaken Lore, which would provide a new Ancient One to fight as well as expand existing AOs with additional mysteries. The expansion could also provide additional versions of the original spells, conditions that have become stale or under-represented, etc.

Obviously, they could also add in four more investigators (such as some of the original Arkham Horror ones who are still MIA) and encounter cards, mythos cards etc. In my opinion, this sort of expansion would be a very cool Small-box expansion, especially if they made a really unique AO (Syzygy was very cool because it was very very different).

At this point I feel that there are a huge amount of assets, tasks, and other unique assets. Frankly, there's also a ton of spells but I miss seeing the original ones more frequently. The idea of a Dreamlands expansion sounds very cool, though I don't know if a side board would be the best way to go to represent it. Perhaps we will see a different way of doing it like a deck, or the mysteries reflect different aspects of the Dreamlands. I think they did a much better job with the Egypt side board overall (compared to Antarctica), so I would give FFG the benefit of the doubt that the next sideboard will be well-designed.

But frankly, I really like this game and will greedily buy up any expansion that FFG releases!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umbat01 wrote:
At this point I feel that there are a huge amount of assets, tasks, and other unique assets. Frankly, there's also a ton of spells but I miss seeing the original ones more frequently.

I'm more than happy to not see many more assets; we have enough. As for spells... if they're going to add more varieties to existing spells, I would like to see glamour spells worth having. Right now, they're death traps for low-lore investigators, especially the first glamour spells. I think FFG started catching on by now that most of them aren't worth getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends how they do it. Antarctica had locations with unique actions that weren't available before. Egypt had locations with no actions but unique encounters (in what they provided, like relics/assets/glamour).

Maybe the next one can do something different. E.g. if it's Arkham, they can have a special shop at each location selling only one class of items (e.g. all spells) or shops with their own deck of items that can only be bought there. Or it could be known challenges instead of random challenges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Folkl
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's going to be a big expansion, and we going to get another token.
Cause in mountain we got the focus token
In Pyramids we gos the impairment one

I think it's going to be a big one, with sideboard and a new kind of token =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's crazy how I read some of these comments and am like "I couldn't disagree more." Just goes to show that they really do have a diverse target group going on.

Me, I'm a "more more more!" person. Want more cards in every stack and more boards, and would be thrilled to see an Arkham/Eastern US board. Variety is the spice of life my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Slattery
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always excited to get new AO more than anything else. I feel there is pretty much enough of everything else at the moment, but if I had to choose new cards it would be for the various encounters and the mythos deck. It feels like there are enough assets, unique assets, artifacts, and spells, so the only new ones I would like to see here are ones that are tied to specific mysteries or investigators (something like the Serpent Crown).

While I wouldn't mind sideboards specific to AO's, I am worried about storage. I currently have the Antarctica and Egypt decks and sideboards along with the Elder Things and Nephren-Ka decks in the UtP box, with everything else somehow fitting into the core box. I am pretty much at the limit though, and the next expansion, either big or small, will likely push me out of the core box.

I'd love Fantasy Flight to come out with something similar to the Big Geeky Box for Smash Up ("Big Creepy Box?") - basically an empty storage box big enough to hold everything, maybe with a touch of content (one AO?) to encourage people to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm a big fan of AO Special Encounter decks (SED). IMO not enough use is made of these, with AOs having 0, 1, or in extreme cases, 2 Mysteries with a SED. With random Mystery selection and only a 1 in 6 chance of the SED being used they are very low value game/design assets: this needs to be improved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.