11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 player board game suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] twoplayer [+] [View All]

North Carolina
msg tools
mb
Can anyone post a good list of games suitable for 2 players? I've been looking at the following games:

War of the Ring
Battle Lore
Runebound
Federation Commander
Conquest of the Empire
Struggle of Empires
History of the World
Great Battles of Alexander
Memoir '44
Hordes

There are more games I'd like to try, but I will more than likely only have 2 players, so games like Twilight Imperium are out. Also, my friend likes the ancient period, specifically Rome, so good games of that era would be helpful, too.

I like them all, really, but I usually tend to gravitate toward empire building, wargames, WW2, fantasy themes...etc. The usual suspects.

Thanks in advance.

Edited to add games that BGG posters have suggested
[b]Twilight Struggle[b]
[b]Bonaparte at Marengo[b]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
2 words: Twilight Struggle. You won't be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Bonaparte at Marengo. An almost-no-luck wargame, about 2 hours to play, and a very tense 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

North Carolina
msg tools
mb
Thanks guys, checking these out now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uberhegi
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I like the Empire Builder line and Silverton (which also has a decent solitaire variant).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror
Settlers of Catan Card Game
Caesar and Cleopatra
Attika
Jambo

Arkham Horror doesn't fit your thematic requests, but is fairly unique and interesting. The game is cooperative and carries a sense of depth balanced by minimalist simplicity. Definitely a challenge, though it can feel a bit mechanical at times.

Settlers of Catan Card Game is one I'm soon to acquire, so the advice comes a bit second hand. However, it seems a deeply strategic game designed explicitly for two players that offers multiple paths to victory.

Caesar and Cleopatra is essentially a medium weight filler. A bit tasty and partially filling - good warm up title. Essentially you're adding numbers to piles of VPs in the hopes of having the highest number when the game randomly selects a particular pile for scoring. There are a few unique mechanisms that make for the smallest number to win a pile and numbers can be added in secret. Add to this action cards that allow you to spy on your opponent - assassinate their numbers - destroy their cards and other elements. Check it out. It's apart of the Kosmos 2 Player line.

Attika - Interesting city development game that is essentially a head to head conflict with your opponent. Good semi-abstract strategy.

Jambo - Mechanic / economic game designed to be played fast and explicitly for two. Check it out, I almost didn't and would have regretted missing out.

Also, Runebound is a great choice if the personalities would mesh with it. It helps to read the cards to each other and perhaps add a few expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Gulshog"]Can anyone post a good list of games suitable for 2 players? I've been looking at the following games:

War of the Ring
Battle Lore
Runebound
Federation Commander
Conquest of the Empire
Struggle of Empires
History of the World
Great Battles of Alexander
Memoir '44
Hordes

q]

Ok, many of these are fantastic games. But...

Conquest of the Empire and Struggle of Empires are variations of the same thing almost. Both also only really shine with 4 players plus, which may affect your decision. SoE really needs a couple more.
This probably applies to History of the World too, but I've not played it.

BattleLore and M44 are also very similar to each other, but are both great 2P games. The latter has expansions for Eastern Front and Far East theatres, with more on the way. The former will get expansions by the dozen, I'm sure. This really just depends whether you prefer fantasy or WW2 - I went with the latter so have M44, but whether the thing that kills your unit from the sky is a B17 squadron or a 10th level wizards lightning bolt is pretty arbitrary.

The only other I've played on your list is War of the Ring, which you won't regret at all, esp if you're even remotely into the theme.

Others to check out...
Anything published by Kosmos. It sounds like Hellas may be the best bet. These are quite quick tho.
Roma - 2 players about Ancient Rome - can't go wrong!
Hammer of the Scots

Good luck and have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like most of the games being suggested are pretty meaty. If you'd like something a bit lighter and quicker, take a look at Lost Cities. Not something I'd suggest for playing non-stop, but it's a fun, quick filler. If you play it more than 5-8 times in a row, it'll start to wear on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Bedwell
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
carcassonne (and it's expansions) is also a good "not too deep" option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
If your friend likes the Romans, Commands & Colors: Ancients is a great, relatively light game of various battles of the 2nd Punic War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McCloud
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had amazing success with Battlelore as a gateway game, even more so if you are pretty good at war games. The command cards give the other player a little more buffer and forces you to learn different learning curve that you are used to. This way, by the time you completley understand the Command Cards, the other person has started to develop her own tactics. Excellent game.

Wizard Kings has been popular around here. Plus, it can support more people. It's fantasy, so it's a shoe in.

Runebound works pretty good two players. Probably better as there isn't nearly as much downtime. It's a game that I suggest you try out before you buy.

Hordes? I've played Warmachine, and it's excellent. The best minis game on the market bar none. It has not collectable and namely not Games Workshop. I hear Hordes is simliar, but instead of large golems powered by wizards you have large monsters infused with rage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.