Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having been out of the loop with myth for a while I just saw this:

http://store.megacongames.com/collections/frontpage/products...

And also saw it was sold out. I had a lot of issues with the first game and that is why I shelved it. Am I better off selling ,y 1.0 copy and buying a 2.0 copy now that I missed the 2.0 components? Not a fan of having self printed cards mixed in with my actual cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't know what your issues where with 1.0 but MYTH 2.0 is still MYTH. All core gameplay is more or less still the same (with a few minor tweaks here and there).
The largest overhaul has been with freeform or adventure mode as it is now called:

- Act Quest are no more.
- All quest from the base game have been redesigned with proper setup instructions and clearer rules. Each quest is now 2-sided. Front is pretty similar to 1.0, back has a tile-diagram and detailed setup.
- There is now a clearly defined quest resolution step in the refresh phase, that the new quests use, that helps to unify the way, most of the quests work.

NOT fixed in 2.0 quests:

- Thematic / narrative problems when drawing certain quests: Although it is kind of in the system of drawing random quests, I wanted to point this out, because this is still irretating some people.
- Missing tokens / cards to track certain negative quest outcomes.
- The system, which quests get re-added / removed is still kind of rough. On the one hand the whole idea is, that your adventures are just stories told at the campfire, so you can re-do every quest as often as you like. On the other hand there are quests that have lasting effects on the game world (merchants removed from the game, heroes getting certain lasting conditions). This doesn't mix well IMHO.

The hero cards have become really, really solid in 2.0. Aside from some timing issues on interrupt cards (nothing major) the new cards work very well.

The new manual is a lot better, but is still missing a lot of "meta" info (like that a "complete" set of an enemy type should include 20 minions, 4 captains, 1 commander and 1 boss.). While everything to play the game is now in the manual, it is still missing quite some info to understand it. You are still on your own when it comes to populating tiles, evaluating the difficulty of enemy types or minibosses. While this may be "part of the fun" for some people, it still posses a very high entry hurdle for the more casual gamer.

Another big thing with 2.0 is the introduction of modules. Remember the Story Quests from 1.0? Modules are a REALLY beafed up version of those. They have up to 24 pages of combined story and setup. You can check out the "Rise of the Revenant" module on their website to get an impression. Really great stuff. If you want the game to tell you exactly where and which enemy, traps, objective, whatever to place, then these are for you.

Items have been overhauled as well. Similar to the hero cards, they are much better to understand now and feature a more consistant use of keywords.

Take note, though, that atm 2.0 ONLY upgrades your base game! Anything outside the base game is NOT 2.0. The rest of the 2.0 stuff will arrive with the Journeyman-KS wave 3 and that's still at least 9 months away...
I don't thing you'll see 2.0 cards for the rest of MYTH 1 until Q2 2017.
Just wanted to mention this, so you don't get disappointed yet again.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron R
United States
Centrville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that Myth 2.0 is still Myth, I've found playing with 2.0 materials to be a much better experience than playing with 1.0 materials. Things are streamlined and/or explained much better. With 1.0 when I sat down to play I encountered a lot of "how should that actually work" questions that pulled me out of the game, whereas when I stick to the new materials I can generally just sit down and play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case you didn't see, someone else posted a thread about the 2.0 cards today, and it looks like they are currently in stock.

I definitely recommend playing Myth with 2.0 cards, and the 2.0 card pack will be exactly the same cards and rulebook as you'd get in the 2.0 base game copy. So it'd be much cheaper to just buy the cards than to resell and rebuy base games.

Also, I agree with everything nimmzwei said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered, thanks for the heads up. Snatched the Item and Quest pack to boot. There is a lot more content for this game than there was last year! Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormbringerGT wrote:
Ordered, thanks for the heads up. Snatched the Item and Quest pack to boot. There is a lot more content for this game than there was last year! Thanks guys!

Oooh...I don't recommend getting the item and quest expansions packs because they're currently still 1.0. (I see that they do give the disclaimer **The cards in this pack are version 1.0 until the release of updated 2.0 decks** but man, I hope everyone buying them realize what they're getting.) Everything about those cards is going to get an overhaul with 2.0. The 1.0 item packs are still sorta compatible, but 2.0 items have different card backs and iconography, and added keywords and clarifications.

The quests will be even less compatible. 2.0 has a rearranged quest chain tree, double-sided cards, and generally much better descriptions of setup and goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I prefer the 1.0 Quest style actually. People are free to stick with it and not upgrade to 2.0 for quests. But maybe there is something else I am missing. Other than the 2.0 Quest cards having a back that shows the set-up better, and limiting/reworking what chains where, I think that is all 2.0 does? I prefer having the back of the card not showing and maintaining a quest deck as designed in 1.0.

But with the move to Modules in the near future, quests seem to be less of an emphasis anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
I think I prefer the 1.0 Quest style actually. People are free to stick with it and not upgrade to 2.0 for quests.

They are releasing more quest decks though (I think there were 1 or 2 quest expansions in the JM KS) and those will all be 2.0.

Phate999 wrote:
But maybe there is something else I am missing. Other than the 2.0 Quest cards having a back that shows the set-up better, and limiting/reworking what chains where, I think that is all 2.0 does? I prefer having the back of the card not showing and maintaining a quest deck as designed in 1.0.

I think the added clarity of 2.0 quest cards is a huge deal, and a big part of why newcomers (and those returning after having shelved the game for years) are having a better time with Myth now. There are way fewer instances of people getting frustrated with a quest because they have absolutely no idea what to do, where to start, when to end, what happens if they fail, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I bought the packs. And I did not read the disclaimer. Shame on me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
StormbringerGT wrote:
And I bought the packs. And I did not read the disclaimer. Shame on me...

I guess it's a "buyer beware" thing ... I'm sorta surprised these are still available for purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
I think I prefer the 1.0 Quest style actually. People are free to stick with it and not upgrade to 2.0 for quests.

They are releasing more quest decks though (I think there were 1 or 2 quest expansions in the JM KS) and those will all be 2.0.

I see. I don't guess I saw this. But you can still do as I said and stay at 1.0 if you want.

Quote:
Phate999 wrote:
But maybe there is something else I am missing. Other than the 2.0 Quest cards having a back that shows the set-up better, and limiting/reworking what chains where, I think that is all 2.0 does? I prefer having the back of the card not showing and maintaining a quest deck as designed in 1.0.

I think the added clarity of 2.0 quest cards is a huge deal, and a big part of why newcomers (and those returning after having shelved the game for years) are having a better time with Myth now. There are way fewer instances of people getting frustrated with a quest because they have absolutely no idea what to do, where to start, when to end, what happens if they fail, etc.

I think for traps it is. I didn't know the quests were that jacked up though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Phate999 wrote:
breegull wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

I see. I don't guess I saw this. But you can still do as I said and stay at 1.0 if you want.

Quote:
Phate999 wrote:

I think for traps it is. I didn't know the quests were that jacked up though.

1.0 Quests were jacked.

Maybe your tolerance for poorly worded communication is better than mine, but I would never suggest people use the 1.0 quests. Yeah traps were really confusing as well, but pretty much every single quest was rewritten, some scrapped altogether. Can people make 1.0 work? Yeah, many of us did for a long time. Just be prepared for frustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Shame international shipping is nearly $60 which means I won't be upgrading to 2.0 any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Schellenberger
Canada
Carp
Ontario
flag msg tools
Game Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy
badge
Loopstah wrote:
Shame international shipping is nearly $60 which means I won't be upgrading to 2.0 any time soon.

It's absolutely boggling, actually. For a USD 7 upgrade/bugfix. I'd rather have the option of ordering a cheap un-tracked, uninsured copy in an ordinary padded/cardboard mailer. To self-insure, I could just keep ordering until one arrived intact and still end up ahead. shake After all, that's how the BGG Store ships and that seems to work out just fine -- at least it has for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2.0 pack goes out in a cardboard mailer, letter-sized so it can fit the 2.0 rulebook as well. I'd try contacting Mercs and see if they can manually adjust the international shipping for you, and send it via regular USPS.

That said, I've been waiting for a reply from Nikki for several weeks now, and she hasn't responded to any of my follow-up emails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to send a follow up. She was going to send me a missing component, and it took to follow ups, and still never showed. I ended up getting it through other channels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.