GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,430 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could really use some detective assistance... mb

I have this tiny tiny project I thought I'd attempt (as part of a fan-case):

The left side, up to the aqua blue line, is meant to overlap the officially published map. Presently, the color scheme matches the original Sleuth Publications map:

Here's where I could use some help: There are nearly 750 entries in the directory for East Area and South Area locations. As a result there are ~220 locations to be marked. I was wondering if BGG users might be able to assist in locating any of the real locations.

As you may be able to see, I have already identified and labeled 30 locations:

Spanish Synagogue 19 E
People's Palace 46 E
Commercial Gas Works 51 E
St. Patrick's Church 57 E
Southwark Park 61 S
Greenwich Park 63 S
Royal Victualling Yard 64 S
Royal Greenwich Hospital65 S
Commercial Docks 66 S
Deptford Road Station 67 S
Hamlets Cemetery 72 E
Gas Works 90 E
London Hospital 92 E
St. Katherine Docks 93 E
St. Katherine Steam Wharf93 E
London Docks 94 E
Shadwell New Basin 95 E
Limehouse Docks 96 E
West India Docks 97 E
Outer Docks 98 E
East India Docks 99 E
Coborn Road Station 100 E
Bow Station 101 E
Whitechapel Station 102 E
South Bromley Station 103 E
Shadwell Station 105 E
Stepney Station 106 E
Limehouse Station 107 E
West India Dock Station 108 E
H. & S.R. Goods Station 104 E

I have very few leads left to follow for identifying the remaining locations. I have tried using:
* The Times Archives
* Post Office London Directory (all parts)
* Reynold's New Map of London

Both of the texts are insurmountable by 1 person and the quality of the scan-to-text significantly limits exhaustive searching.

Anyone up for a challenge? What ideas do people have for locating places?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Alvarez
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mb
I am sort of busy - baby twins and a four year old - but I could help you with a portion of the work.

Say I did another 30 locations; do you have a list?

All the best.

R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Neuhauser
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've done some real-life crowdsourced geolocation projects, and it's been really helpful to have the location names in a Google Sheet, with columns for the pieces of data you want for each. That makes it easy to see which are done/not done, make sure you get all the data you need, as well as share "leads". Also easy for people to just do a couple if that's all they're up for.

Cheers, Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garanno wrote:
I could help you with a portion of the work.

Great, thanks! I've GM'ed you.

neuhausr wrote:
...have the location names in a Google Sheet, with columns for the pieces of data you want for each. That makes it easy to see which are done/not done, make sure you get all the data you need, as well as share "leads". Also easy for people to just do a couple if that's all they're up for.

Sounds like a good idea!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SP7LE40j2ERPTPnyFoPh83GS1h...

This is read-only access. If you want to contribute, GM me, and I'll set you up with write access.

So far, most of my time has been drawing the map. I've spent a handful of hours searching various sources, but not yet in a systematic way. Perhaps it would be good to start with enumerating the sources that are available, and documenting the searches going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Neale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not certain, and you seem to have done plenty of work on this already so it is probably worth finishing whatever, but are you aware that Ystari are releasing an expansion this year that includes a case set in the East End, using the East End addresses? So it may well include a map very similar to what you are trying to create.

On the other hand, if it doesn't include a map, but it just references East End addresses, your map could be great to use with that expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whitescar,
Thanks for mentioning this. Yes, I am aware of the expansion that is due in "2016".

whitescar wrote:
Ystari are releasing an expansion this year that includes a case set in the East End, using the East End addresses

I'm excited to see what they do with the East End. As you can see from my sketch, it is a vast area!

It was a challenge to draw the map large enough to stretch from the edge of the current map all the way to the East India Docks. And, include the Coborn Rd Station in the North and the Greenwich Park in the South.

whitescar wrote:
it may well include a map very similar to what you are trying to create.

If the expansion includes a Jack the Ripper campaign, like we have heard, some of the Central East map may also have to be changed -- some points of interest added, some historical street names detailed, and more of Whitechapel defined.

whitescar wrote:
your map could be great to use with that expansion.

Along with the expansion, a redesign is supposed to be happening. The map I'm working on will work with the original Sleuth Publications edition and the initial Ystari reprint. And, likely will be adaptable to include future expansions.

(A small part of the reason for showing my project in a still-unfinished state was to demonstrate the work is original, not a copy of anyone else's work, should it end up similar to Ystari's.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
If you notice on the original London map (that comes with the game), the lower numbers work their way through a given region close to one another. For example, if you follow the numbers in order through the SE zone, numbers 1-40 proceed in a loose clockwise sweep from Southwark Bridge in the upper right to near Waterloo Bridge in the upper left. Then, apparently the designers decide to fill in more of the empty areas with additional numbers for more addresses. Numbers 41-89 proceed in a counter clockwise direction, filling in most of the remaining city blocks. The other regions are similarly done.

When I was working on my own version of the East End map, I noticed (from the addresses that I was able to identify myself - Many of the ones you have in your list) that a similar process was used. Perhaps if you look at the numbers that you already have, you'll have a pretty good idea where some of the harder to locate addresses should roughly belong. For example, numbers 47-50 E should be located between the People's Palace and the Commercial Gas Works.

BTW, I have an abbreviated version of the London Directory that has only the addresses for the E and S sections. You can get it at this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8grydemckkl8ra/London%20Directory...

Of course you may have already done this yourself. This abbreviated directory has been very useful for any work I do concerning the East End map.

The map looks great so far. This really gets me in the mood to resume work on my own SHCD fan cases. Keep up the good work and please send me a copy of the new map when you're finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I forgot to mention that if you download my East End directory as a Word document, you can search (with ctrl-F) for all of the addressees that share a common address. If all of the addressees at a given address are individuals (not actual businesses) then you may not have to be too exact in assigning it a place on your map.

Figuring out which of the businesses in the directory are actual places, however, is a much tougher job. Most of the businesses, I've noticed, share the same address with multiple individuals as well, leading me to believe that a lot of them (the businesses) are probably either made up or not intended to be exact in their location on the map.

I've toyed with the idea of having a single address with four or five different names associated with it being either a boarding house or other communal residence. There are certainly possibilities with such a setup, but it would require a little creativity in assigning multiple clue points to a single address.

Hope the East End directory is helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a first peak at the expansion:

Naturally, the map caught my attention. It appears that the part of the East End of London that is on the map is very small.

After correcting for the perspective, I overlayed it on a period map of London, and I'm pretty confident this is the area that is included:

This expansion contains a campaign focused on Jack the Ripper, so it would make sense that it would focus in on the Whitechapel District.

This is a very different approach than I chose. I'm attempting to cover the entire East End of London so as to include all the locations listed in the original directory.

Looks neat! I'm hopeful both maps can be utilized by more and more cases, official publications and fancases alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Not to criticize the smaller map, but your map will be so much better for fans of the designers' original vision for the East End Adventures. Of course it makes sense to concentrate on just the Whitechapel district for cases about Jack the Ripper, but it's nice to know that your map will eventually be available for additional fan-made cases in the entire East End of London. My planned case for Springheel Jack will eventually require a full map of the East End, including the part south of the Thames.

Please keep us all posted on your progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick visual update:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Progress...

Here's the seamless transition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Done!

As you can see, I designed this to match the original publication. The Ystari design just has some new colors, textures, and shadows applied. I might be able to be persuaded to do that as well.

I'm looking at getting a nice quality print-out for myself, so if anyone has any guidance on doing that, I'd appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Alvarez
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mb
David,

I am really impressed by the quality of your work there. You have managed to capture the texture and feeling of the original SHCD map really well.

Very well done.

R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Caviris
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That looks great! I've got my own way of printing maps/game boards on a regular printer that I'm pleased with. IDK if it's what you're looking for, since it's not professional quality. But it is rather good quality at a fraction of the cost.

First I print the image. If I have a pdf (such as the one you've posted with the case in the files section), I print it as a poster at 100% scale (that would take nine pages to print this map). If I don't have that, I open the image in paint (the program that comes on all windows computers). I use the page setup to format the print as I like.

Then I usually print something on the back. Usually I go with plane black, but for this I went with a picture of aged paper.

I laminate all the sheets using Avery's 9"x12" self lamination sheets. Sometimes I just laminate the front and sometimes both sides. It depends on how sturdy I want the board. Lamination isn't needed, but helps protect the bard and gives it a nice gloss.

Then I use a strait edge cutter to trim off the white space. Something like this http://www.staples.com/Westcott-12-Titanium-Multi-Purpose-Pe...

Then I use tape to put it all together. If you want that seem of the board to fold in, put the tape on the front. If you want that seem to fold out, put the tape on the back.

kaosconman wrote:

Done!

As you can see, I designed this to match the original publication. The Ystari design just has some new colors, textures, and shadows applied. I might be able to be persuaded to do that as well.

I'm looking at getting a nice quality print-out for myself, so if anyone has any guidance on doing that, I'd appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oliver clav
msg tools
Thank you!!!
Great post

But I have a question, no exist map for ZONE S?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oliverdm wrote:
Thank you!!!
Great post

But I have a question, no exist map for ZONE S?

Thanks for checking it out. It's there. The area below the Thames river is 'S'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm late to the party for this one (I've PM'd you David) but I have to say "Wow" - this is such an excellent map. I particularly like the way it links perfectly with the original Sleuth map which is the one I use for my games as I'm working from the original game and expansions. I just need to work out how I'll print it out the right size...

Now to get on with some more cases!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dom5 wrote:
I just need to work out how I'll print it out the right size...

Measure the size of your original map and print this with the same dimensions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trouble is, the original 1982 map is about A1 size and I don't know where I can get printing to that size these days... Are there POD outlets that do stuff this big?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the US, copy shops can print on large format ink jet printers. Because the paper is on a long roll, your real limit is the width. FedEx has shops that do this. I think that the office supply company, Staples, also has this service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I'd better pop into Staples and see how much they charge for poster sized prints. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.