Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like the improvements are a bit overpowered to me. Now, as I understand it, you can just discard junk to build them. I don't know if this is the rule or not, so this is influencing my opinion.

But once you build them they're incredibly good. The Greenhouse for example takes 3 advancements, and then for the rest of the game players can just spend a 1+ die on each of their turns to place a food token into the food supply. I can't see ever having to worry about food again with that. Granted the unruly survivors could help balance, but in general I could see a strategy being, build a few key improvements and just coast for most of the game after that.

*Note: I have not played this expansion yet, I am going strictly off of the Dice Tower review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few rules notes to check on.

1) Only cards that say "...Advance 1" can do this.

2) You only get four Improvement cards in a game and it's random which four you get.

Are you playing with all three modules or just improvements? I've found that they all significantly tweak difficulty. Improvements makes the game much easier. Raxxon ramps up difficulty. Bandits does both in roughly equal amounts. If you're playing just modules and nothing else, then the game does get a lot easier. I'd balance it with Raxxon and see how it plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
You discard junk to place an advancement token. most need 3 to 4 advancement tokens to build.

You do get more than 4 per game but only 4 are available to build on the board at a time, once you build one replace it with another card.

There are alot more crisis cards that require junk also if you play with Raxxon the containment code requires a specific dice combination. You may find yourself needing to use junk to adjust die rolls so that you meet the containment code.

I think you will find most games build one or two improvements and that's all the junk they may have to spare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I would think if you played with just Improvements, you could always pick the Hardcore side of the objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the preview that talked about improvements specifically mentioned that they make the game easier. However, from what I've seen in the previews as well as the Dice Tower videos, the improvements will balance out if played with the other modules as those modules make the game harder or require more from players. If you play JUST improvements, then it may seem "op" because they are suppose to make the game easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the Greenhouse still uses a die. That is the same as using a die to search for a food card, except maybe you would have gotten a food 2... or 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McDonald
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
designer
kelann08 wrote:
2) You only get four Improvement cards in a game and it's random which four you get.

Alderdust wrote:
You do get more than 4 per game but only 4 are available to build on the board at a time, once you build one replace it with another card.

The "Watch It Played" video says you replace built improvement cards with a new one from the deck, but I don't see anything about this in the rule book. Am I just missing this rule somewhere? Is the book missing the rule? Is the video wrong?

I haven't played yet, but the Raxxon and Bandit modules seem tough. I think I'll need some good improvements to handle the extra difficulty of those modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression you could draw another one when you completed an improvement, though the rules say nothing about it.

I don't think the module is overpowered because the amount of Junk you need to build more than one (more than two if you get cheap ones) is insufficient on its own. I imagine it would become a cakewalk, however, if you have Melissa and the Drill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DifferentName wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

Alderdust wrote:

The "Watch It Played" video says you replace built improvement cards with a new one from the deck, but I don't see anything about this in the rule book. Am I just missing this rule somewhere? Is the book missing the rule? Is the video wrong?

I haven't played yet, but the Raxxon and Bandit modules seem tough. I think I'll need some good improvements to handle the extra difficulty of those modules.

Well, it calls it a deck, and doesn't say to put it back in the box after dealing four so I suppose you can keep building them. You'd be hard pressed to get more than a couple out, though, unless you ended up with four that cost 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McDonald
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
designer
Good point about not putting the cards back in the box. Rodney Smith replied to me on his Watch It Played video, and says he checked with the plaid hat guys about drawing the improvement card, so that's how I'll play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was part of the playtesting and we replaced the built card on the table when one was built so you always had 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.