Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Steam Summer Sale is currently running and I just picked up This War of Mine for US$4.99, down from US$19.99

Additionally, The Little Ones addon is available for US$8.99 and you can kick in an additional US$0.99 (which brings it up to the standard price) that will be donated to the War Child charity.

I don't know how long the discount will last for.

With respect to the PC game, I have logged 13 hrs since last Friday (24 June) night ... it is very addictive ... and very grim.

I am up to my 3rd attempt. The first 2 attempts didn't go so well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did bought it earlier and still doing my first attempt. Very good game indeed. It is grim and addicting, fun would not be the best word to describe it. I can recommend it to most, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Connolly
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it at the higher price and can't stop playing it. Although "playing" isn't really the word, maybe more like "living" it. It's a totally immersive gut-punch. I find myself talking to the characters, "Come on, hang in there one more day" or "I know you're tired and hurt, but we really need water and you can rest when you finish building that rainwater collector". Or when there's a knock on the door and I beg "Please have some medicine, I'll give you anything for some pills or bandages."

The most heart-wrenching ending was when I was down to just having a severely wounded Emilia 40+ days in, with the radio saying that a ceasefire was imminent, so I just sent her to bed and to sleep at night. She had plenty of supplies and could have let the robbers take whatever they wanted. Please, just stay in bed and let them take everything. But no, Emilia had to try to fight them off and was killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan McGuire
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Ack!
mbmbmbmbmb
patcon wrote:
I got it at the higher price and can't stop playing it. Although "playing" isn't really the word, maybe more like "living" it. It's a totally immersive gut-punch. I find myself talking to the characters, "Come on, hang in there one more day" or "I know you're tired and hurt, but we really need water and you can rest when you finish building that rainwater collector". Or when there's a knock on the door and I beg "Please have some medicine, I'll give you anything for some pills or bandages."

The most heart-wrenching ending was when I was down to just having a severely wounded Emilia 40+ days in, with the radio saying that a ceasefire was imminent, so I just sent her to bed and to sleep at night. She had plenty of supplies and could have let the robbers take whatever they wanted. Please, just stay in bed and let them take everything. But no, Emilia had to try to fight them off and was killed.

"Immersive gut-punch" is a great description! I had a lot of heart breaking moments but the one that affected me the most was when I was asked to look after a kid for a day or two. I carried out my day as I normally do. The kid just walked around the house being miserable. I saw that I could have made him a toy (or even talked to him), but I decided to use my supplies for something else. That night I went out to scavenge for supplies specifically to make that toy and when I returned I discovered the kid left in the middle of the night. I was furious! But not with the game, but with the other members of the house. Why did they let him leave? Why did he want to leave? Didn't anyone talk to him? I remember walking away from the computer and just sitting on my bed with my head in my hands thinking "why?" instead of thinking "it's just a game." I never saw the kid again and after 4 game days I decided to restart because I was as depressed as the character who took the boy in and I couldn't disconnect that it was just a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on sale again for the Steam winter sale.

Just got it last night, accidentally stayed up till 1:30 am playing it.. on a work night... so tired today lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked it up during the summer sale. But I've yet to play it. I'm patiently waiting for the board game instead. Don't want to get burnt out on it before it gets here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.