Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I noticed that their seems to be a lot of additional little parts for each of the tanks but no guide on where to add them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's for customizing, follows a similar line of reasoning to Games Workshop models and other manufacturers so you have options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
So I noticed that their seems to be a lot of additional little parts for each of the tanks but no guide on where to add them.

For the Shermans, I built four turrets - two 75mm, two 76mm, for flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately that won't work for the Pershing so I'll need to get another one. I got the extra Panther pack to build the Jagdpanzer but same there, you can only build one or the other. The Shermann pack is the same as the starter but only one tank, so you can build out both turrets and decide which of them to use so it's good to get an extra pack of them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Perla
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I had not realized that these tanks were kits. The advertising never said kits, just tanks. I am now sorely wishing I had never bought this. That said, maybe I can dig up some of my old Minitanksto play it without having to break out the glue. Not a big deal, I guess, but I certainly think that the publishers ought to be clear whether they are including complete playing pieces or model kits that you have to build. Thank goodness I did not make the mistake of buying expansions sight unseen; then I would be really pissed instead of just mildly annoyed!

Take care

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Klindworth
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Having looked over my friend's copy, I think I recall there being an illustration of the unassembled models.

One of parts has the pieces for a Panther and a Jagdpanther. However, there is only one suspension included. I think this makes it easy to mix and match. If you glue small magnets to the parts, then you could choose whether to attach the Panther chassis to the suspension or the Jagdpanther casemate. You could do the same with the M4(75mm) turret vs. the M4 (76mm) turret.

The other thing to consider is that the models are the same ones used in the miniature game Flames of War. Instead of the (very inexpensive!) unassembled models, you could buy the partially assembled models for Flames of War and use them in this game.

This game is interesting. On the one hand, it's quite inexpensive ($25 for a game that includes miniatures). On the other hand, it seems pretty expandable. Those that are into WW2 miniatures probably already have the tanks: they're at the rather popular 15mm scale. Plus, it seems quite amenable to using terrain from miniature games.

I'm intrigued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could get some Axis & Allies Miniatures tanks or even some World Tank Division ones (expensive though). Good luck hunting!

PS: THE Peter Perla? (The Art of Wargaming)
peterperla wrote:
I had not realized that these tanks were kits. The advertising never said kits, just tanks. I am now sorely wishing I had never bought this. That said, maybe I can dig up some of my old Minitanksto play it without having to break out the glue. Not a big deal, I guess, but I certainly think that the publishers ought to be clear whether they are including complete playing pieces or model kits that you have to build. Thank goodness I did not make the mistake of buying expansions sight unseen; then I would be really pissed instead of just mildly annoyed!

Take care

Peter

Edit: Spelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Sempere
United States
California
flag msg tools
As Bob Klindworth says, they're straight out of Flames of War. Any WWII tank they've released in plastic has been made available in this game - hopefully Flames of War gets plastic Tigers one of these days!

Here's their assembly guide for the Panther: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=4715
And the Sherman: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=4612

For people who want prepainted, no-assembly tanks, if you're okay with a smaller scale you should look for "1/144 WTM" (World Tank Museum) tanks on eBay. They were mostly sold in Japan and aren't currently made, and availability of Soviet and especially British tanks isn't as good. And they're much smaller (TANKS is in 1/100 scale).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does actually say on the back of the box "models supplied unpainted and require assembly, paint and glue not included", which is pretty standard for model kits.

The expansions are quite obvious as they are in a clear box and you can see the sprue (at least according to the adverts).

Although like others have said there are quite a few pre-made and pre-painted alternatves you could easily use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Angel wrote:
It does actually say on the back of the box "models supplied unpainted and require assembly, paint and glue not included", which is pretty standard for model kits.

Yes, but on-line descriptions of the base game aren't always as forthcoming - from CSI, for instance:

"TANKS is an easy-to-learn, quick-play, small-scale game, where you take command of a tank platoon, seeking to destroy your opponent's tanks and secure victory. TANKS is a flexible game with lots of ways to create a finely-tuned army that fits your play style.

The game is fast and furious, do-or-die. In half an hour, you can pick your tanks and crew, upgrade them to your specifications, defeat your enemy (or die trying), and be ready for the rematch!"

A hazard of shopping in the internet age, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Klindworth
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
jrtracy wrote:
Green Angel wrote:

Yes, but on-line descriptions of the base game aren't always as forthcoming - from CSI, for instance:

"TANKS is an easy-to-learn, quick-play, small-scale game, where you take command of a tank platoon, seeking to destroy your opponent's tanks and secure victory. TANKS is a flexible game with lots of ways to create a finely-tuned army that fits your play style.

The game is fast and furious, do-or-die. In half an hour, you can pick your tanks and crew, upgrade them to your specifications, defeat your enemy (or die trying), and be ready for the rematch!"

A hazard of shopping in the internet age, I suppose.

You're exactly right, and that's unfortunate. Cool Stuff is more descriptive about the expansion packs, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Perla
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
eisenphx wrote:
You could get some Axis & Allies Miniatures tanks or even some World Tank Division ones (expensive though). Good luck hunting!

PS: THE Peter Perla? (The Art of Wargaming)
peterperla wrote:

Take care

Peter

Edit: Spelling.

LOL. I must plead guilty on all counts, m'lud.

Take care

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cisek
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see some sort of guide for the complete novice, which is what I am for WWII games and why I got into this. I'd like to know what some of the extra bits are so that I could understand some of the customization options. Anyone know of an online guide for the sprues or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cisek
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I'm finding some info on the Flames of War site. Thanks for the links, Carlos Sempere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Icetower wrote:
I'd like to see some sort of guide for the complete novice, which is what I am for WWII games and why I got into this. I'd like to know what some of the extra bits are so that I could understand some of the customization options. Anyone know of an online guide for the sprues or something?

Get yourself a copy of Tanks of World War II and you can't go far wrong. Plenty of detailed descriptions, with lots of pictures and diagrams. Well worth the price from Amazon 3rd-party sellers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Icetower wrote:
Ah, I'm finding some info on the Flames of War site. Nevermind.

Good luck, Daniel. I think it's a very good choice for an introductory game, particularly if you enjoy building kits. They are very straightforward and you should have no trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cisek
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrtracy wrote:
Icetower wrote:

Good luck, Daniel. I think it's a very good choice for an introductory game, particularly if you enjoy building kits. They are very straightforward and you should have no trouble.

Thanks! I wish I knew about the magnets before I put a peg in my Panther!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cisek
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantatta wrote:
Icetower wrote:

Get yourself a copy of Tanks of World War II and you can't go far wrong. Plenty of detailed descriptions, with lots of pictures and diagrams. Well worth the price from Amazon 3rd-party sellers.

I'll check that out, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Icetower wrote:
jrtracy wrote:
Icetower wrote:

Thanks! I wish I knew about the magnets before I put a peg in my Panther!

I can say the same. They should have included that detail on the assembly guides or included links to them.

Anyone know what size magnet they provide with the BF tanks? No use ordering the wrong size to assemble the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick v. Nooij
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the hulls provided in the starter box are for M4A3 Shermans. These appeared in Normandy halfway through August 1944.
That means they never had the hedgecutter prongs installed on the front of their hulls.
Neither did these have the extra armor plates welded to the side of the hull like on some M4 and M4A1 Shermans.
Though sometimes you see this on the turret with the 75mm gun on all versions.

So those extra pieces are kinda....historically unnecessary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.