Subject: Rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Edwards
United States
Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I just got this game and I realize I'm a little late to the party, but I'm surprised a few fundamental questions don't appear to have been asked or answered definitively anywhere!

Discarding
A lot of different cards involve discarding, and some of them specify who chooses which card to discard.

The cards numbered 8 say "Choose a player other than yourself. That player must discard a card from their hand." Does the affected player get to choose what card to discard or do they discard a random card? I am assuming it's random, as the effect is pretty weak (or even helpful to the victim) otherwise.

The Fool says "Choose one player who has to discard three allies." I am again assuming it's random, but it would be nice to know for sure what was intended!

History Cards
For the History cards that award the most of something, what happens if all eligible players have zero of that thing? I think that could still count as "the most," just as a player could have 9 red cards and still have "the least" of them if everyone else has been eliminated (which seems more clearly true). Again, it would be nice to know for sure what was intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"discarding" the effected player choose what to discard...

"history cards" zero means he have nothing so no points.
the most yellow and i have no yellow i get nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kounabi22 wrote:

Another thread reached the conclusion that you receive a fame point for a "most" history card even if you have none of the indicated allies - as long as no player without evil has more than you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
kounabi22 wrote:
"discarding" the effected player choose what to discard...

Where are you getting these answers from? Unless they're from some official source, I don't think they're necessarily correct.

On the topic of discards, that would mean that playing an 8 is usually a bad idea, because it gives a lot of power to another player. If the player that you pick has a 1 or the Demon in hand, you might help them immensely by choosing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three kinds of cards that call for discarding and which may involve a choice. (Other cards may call for "discard all" of something - no question of choice.)

The three 8's say, "Choose a player other than yourself. That player must discard a card from their hand."

In this case, it is clear that the player playing an 8 chooses an opponent. The language then indicates that that player discards a hand card.

The most obvious interpretation is that the opponent choose the card to discard.

If the intent had been for the player playing the 8 to choose the discarded card, language such as "Discard a card from another player's hand" would likely have been used.

The three 10's say, "Choose one of your allies and discard it."

This seems pretty obvious - only one player is mentioned.

The Fool says, "Choose one player who has to discard three allies."

This is pretty similar to the of the 8's: the active player chooses who will discard (and may, in this case, choose himself), and then that player chooses what to discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
weasel47 wrote:
The cards numbered 8 say "Choose a player other than yourself. That player must discard a card from their hand." Does the affected player get to choose what card to discard or do they discard a random card?

They choose. Otherwise it would have been specified "That player muast discard a card at random from their hand". It doesn't, so the player gets to choose.

Same with the fool. The target chooses which three to discard.

weasel47 wrote:

For the History cards that award the most of something, what happens if all eligible players have zero of that thing? I think that could still count as "the most," just as a player could have 9 red cards and still have "the least" of them if everyone else has been eliminated (which seems more clearly true). Again, it would be nice to know for sure what was intended.

I'd assume that everyone gets the point in that case,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
weasel47 wrote:

I'd assume that everyone gets the point in that case.

You wrote the English translation - so I would take your "assumption" to be relatively authoritative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.